Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trouble With a Used Road King - Power Loss

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 07:58 PM
Cjenkins
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't see any spray in the tank and I did some riding today and all seems well. The only thing I noticed is a little drag between 30-35 and If I shift early or ride hard it's not noticeable. Still have the pops on decel. but I hear that's quite common with the SE pipes.

It's still going in to service for the SE Comp and the P0151 but I'm riding and right now that's what matters! Thanks guys if service gives me anymore info I'll update the post.

Chris

Old 07-27-2011, 07:10 PM
Cjenkins
Novice

Ok so it's back from service the SE compensator got rid of the grinding and it rides a lot smoother. They greased all the connectors but couldn't find anything wrong with it. I've ridden about a hundred miles and all was good until tonight. Rode about 40 mile 50-65 MPH slowed to enter a freeway and on the ramp boom loss of power, once I got it up to speed huge surges in all gears. Couldn't hold the bike at 60 it jumped between 55-65.

The one thing I asked the shop to fix was the popping coming from the pipes. They are the SE pipes so they told me it was normal. From reading you can tune the pops out, but service won't do it and I understand why. I had thought that the rear cylinder was lean because it's the only one popping and it's got true duels. Now I'm thinking I have a bad plug in the rear cylinder it would explain the dropouts, surges, and pops. It pops at idle as well as decel and the left side pipe smelled rich when I stopped compared the the right.

What is average milage on a set of plugs? I ordered the cables and software for my tuner just in case but could this simply be a bad plug that gets weak when it's hot?

I really hate to take it back to service if it's something this simple.

Chris

Old 07-28-2011, 04:22 PM
Cjenkins
Novice

Well both plugs were white so it doesn't look like the rear plug was dropping out but it's lean. Can someone confirm that if the rear plug wasn't firing as strong it would have been dark rather than light?

Old 07-28-2011, 07:16 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 673 Likes on 537 Posts

i think your problem is more than a bad dyno tune,if its throwing code something isnt right,time to find a dealer that has an actual technition and not just a couple of chrome hangers.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:26 PM
Gotham
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I too came from a VL800 and the Road King is a lot hotter to ride on here in South Florida.

Ed

Old 07-29-2011, 07:10 AM
cochon
Road Warrior
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Well, how long did the bike sit between the time the previous owner gave up riding it and you bought it? It could be that ethanol gas fouled your fuel injectors. Maybe it is time to try some fuel injector cleaner???

Old 07-29-2011, 07:39 AM
scoobs
Tourer

Originally Posted by cochon
Well, how long did the bike sit between the time the previous owner gave up riding it and you bought it? It could be that ethanol gas fouled your fuel injectors. Maybe it is time to try some fuel injector cleaner???
Might be on to something here...when I dug my boat out this spring it ran like crap...loss of power, couldn't reach top end. Tore everything apart, cleaned, new filters. Same crap. Took injectors out and had them cleaned/serviced. Saw an improvment. Plugs looked good but they were about the last thing before taking it in to a dealer. New plugs, , success...run like a raped ape. The old plugs looked good but new ones cured the problem, so just because they look go don't assume they are.

Old 08-06-2011, 08:04 PM
Cjenkins
Novice

I'm pretty sure I've got a good shop, it could be that they're just too busy this year. I've run several tanks of gas though it and some injector cleaner. I don't have codes anymore but still have lack of power above 25% throttle and pops on shift and decel. I have it scheduled for a tune at another shop this week so I'll see what happens then. Thanks for all the suggestions it's been quite the experience, next time I'll buy new.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:19 PM
Cjenkins
Novice

On my way to PA the king crapped out. Backfiring loss of power etc. Managed to get it to a shop in New Castle where they seem to have resolved my issues. Bo tune but a new fuel filter o-ring seems to have fixed it. It was pinched causing a loss in fuel pressure. Funny something so small was such a big problem. Two months of searching but I think it's been solved. Thanks to all of you who took time to help me track this down.