Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trouble With a Used Road King - Power Loss

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 08:01 AM
vtwinbob
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm kind of thinking along with jollyrogers with the intake leak, you can check the intake with a can of WD40 by spraying it around the seals and see if the idle changes. If it does, you have a leaky intake seal that needs replacement. and check the air filter that it's sealed good, if theses are bad they will give out the o2 sensors codes also, brings your checking all your connections using some dielectric grease on them wouldn't hurt. theses are easy things to check. good luck

Old 06-30-2011, 09:19 AM
Cjenkins
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks all. I have faith in the dealer but some of the posts on here make me question if I should. I guess they haven't given me a reason not to so I'll keep with that. I checked all the connectors last night, and I'll check for leaks tonight.

My real concern is the fact it's so intermittent and it takes time to make it happen. I'm not sure how I can "show" the dealer what's happening. My other issue of course is safety. This is a new experience and the bike weighs much more, when it drops then surges in turns it freaks me out a bit.

Again thanks to all of you for your suggestions. I'll report back on what I find.

Old 06-30-2011, 03:12 PM
Cjenkins
Novice

So I had some time to tear it all down today. Needed to install my risers anyway. One of my intake bolts were finger tight. I don't have torque specks so I simply tightened it and went a quarter past snug. I'll try the WD40 after I get it all back together.

Old 06-30-2011, 05:32 PM
Tconnors810
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cjenkins
My Suzuki ran much hotter and was water cooled.
I also came from a VL800. My 03 RKC runs much hotter than the Vol. Sounds like the map to me

Old 06-30-2011, 05:40 PM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

please add, for the benefit of others, your final findings to the repair hit parade thread

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...t-repairs.html

Old 06-30-2011, 05:47 PM
mikeflhr10
Advanced

i had the same codes on mine was water in gas some sea foam save the day

Old 06-30-2011, 07:00 PM
Cjenkins
Novice

Ok, after another day...

Tore it down and unplugged everything used the electrical grease and plugged it all back in. Checked the Intake had a bolt that was finger tight on the rear cylinder, tightened that up a bit.

Cleared the codes and started it up, checked the intake with WD40 but didn't notice any variation. Still no codes so I buttoned it all back up along with the new risers and my iPhone install kit.

Gave her a nice bath, dired, and polished so I was ready to roll. Fired her up and boom the erratic idle, and loss of power. Took it around the block and a lot of coughs, pops, and surges. Came home a little defeated, pulled the plug wires and checked for moisture all looked good. Fired it up again and it idled fine.

Took it out again noticed lag from 30-35 in first and 45-50 in second. A lot of pops on deceleration and the bike gets much hotter now. Checked when I got home and my only code is P0151.

At this point I think it's at least ridable. I tend to agree with everyone it's gotta be the MAP or something in the fuel system but if I can ride it I'll let service figure it out.

Once I manage to get it all resolved I'll post the solution in case anyone else has the issue.

Chris

Old 06-30-2011, 07:09 PM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior
Received 102 Likes on 38 Posts

Perhaps the crank position sensor is going bad.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:30 PM
Cjenkins
Novice

If it were the crank position sensor wouldn't it worsen with higher RPMs? I'm not sure but I thought that was the case.

In my case it's only slow speed riding that seems to give me problems. If I hammer the throttle it has a ton of power and never seems to give me problems.

Stop lights seem to be where I really notice it slow starts with controlled acceleration. Oh and of course at idle when it goes completely goofy.

Maybe I just need to ride it harder.

Thanks everyone for all the input, at least running it down had been exciting.

Chris

Old 06-30-2011, 08:47 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 673 Likes on 537 Posts

08"s had some issuies with the iac (idol air controler) small box ontop of throttle body look in throttle body u will see a small hole on top, try cleaning it out with some carb cleaner, my 07 had simialer problems it was due to the idole sensor adjustment screw, seems the factory locktite failed and it backed out.08 also had a fuel pump canister or filter canister cracking problem, there was a service bulletin on that.if that is the problem they say u can look into tank wile its running and see it spraying.

Quick Reply: Trouble With a Used Road King - Power Loss