Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Review of headlight modulator for LED headlights

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 01:09 PM
bogiediver
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Review of headlight modulator for LED headlights

In conjuntion with the review of the Harley (mfg by JW Speaker) and Kuryakyn (mfg by Truck-Lite) LED headlights - https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...hd-and-tl.html

Several asked about the use of a modulator with the LED headlight. Recently completed testing, here is a link to the PDF

http://mchenrycountyroadpirates.webs...0modulator.pdf

I'll check back to answer questions.

Old 09-07-2013, 11:28 AM
blueglide88
Tourer
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
Default modulator

Can you give us an update? How has it been working for you?

Old 09-07-2013, 11:32 AM
desertwolf
Road Master
Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

Modulator headlights are annoying to everyone on the road. Dont be that guy.

Old 09-09-2013, 12:55 PM
bogiediver
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

desertwolf:

I agree - full time use can be very annoying. However, targeted use can be lifesaving...

I use mine only approaching limited sight intersections, especially when leading group rides. Anything that makes conflicting traffic take notice is a good thing.

I will also use it in heavy urban situations, especially where I'm not familiar with the area.

One thing I have noticed with both the modulating headlight and with the pattern strobe brake lights - it makes for a wider berth. Approaching an intersection with the modulator, people will wait longer (this is even true with just the LED headlights) - I believe it is because the brighter light makes you appear closer - and the modulating light might just be making them think police - which is fine by me. With the brake light - I consistently find that the car behind me is stopping nearly a full car length back - further than with none strobe brake lights.

blueglide88:

I don't use the modulator full time as stated above, but I would rather not ride without it.

The modulator does have a quirk with the Phase 7 LED headlight - but it is acceptable from my perspective. Read the Phase 7 (and other product's) review at www.bogiesreviews.webs.com