Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

which gps?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 10:06 PM
rgjujitsu
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which gps?

Looking for one that's easy to mount on and off and can program rides. Thank you

Old 06-28-2011, 10:08 PM
michaelm
Tourer

Zumo 660. 665 if you want XM and bluetooth.
Motorcycle specific. Rugged. Easy to update maps. Simply the best.

Old 06-29-2011, 05:54 AM
hankus1369
Novice
Default GPS Choices

Hi. Just went round and round with Garmin, so this is near and dear to my heart. First, the only difference between the 660 and 550 is that the 660 does XM radio and the 550 does not (other than price).

I had a NUVI 765 so I thought, wow, why spend the money for the overpriced motorcycle model... Old dumb me - here we go into the abyss!

All I wanted to do was get the GPS info and MP-3 to a bluetooth intercom for long trips.. Wouldn't think that is too much to ask in today's techo environment (overseas tech support - press 1 for Spanish, hang-upfor English).

Anyway, it all comes down to the way NUVI (and I assume all non-MC Garmins connect via bluetooth. When two devices link they exchange a code, usually 1234 or 0000 (don't remember which is Garmin default). Came to learn that the ZUMOs are the only one where you can enter a non-default code - say the one sent from the headset to the GPS or phone to the GPS. What a great marketing scheme - want multiple connections to GPS - get a ZUMO.

When I tried getting the phone (HTC Android) to sync with the NUVI it would sync, but no audio on the headset. MP-3 from GPS to headset worked fine.

I don't care about taking phone calls and never plan to use the phone other than as an MP3. Tried to go cheap so I bought a Sony earbud bluetooth for around $100.00 or so. Works great as you would expect from Sony.

At present I can link only 1 device to the Sony Earbuds - either the phone (use phone GPS (sucks) and MP-3) or the NUVI 765 (GPS directions and also MP-3). I am doing the latter at present.

Main reasons to get a ZUMO - links to more than 1 device, you can input a non-standard bluetooth link code, it has a brighter display (NUVI display is uselesss in daylight), and it is waterproof.

What a great marketing setup for Garmin...

Disclaimer - this is my experience and a lot of the mumbo-jumbo falls under the category of FM (use your imagination, 2nd word is Magic). WOuld love to hear from folks that managed to get a NUVI to work with a phone and headset.

Hope this helps a bit. I finally through frustration will eventually get a 550 when I can afford it, grumbling and cussing Garmin all the way to the bank.

Semper Fi!

Old 06-29-2011, 06:26 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

I use a TomTom Rider Urban. Don't know if they are available to you chaps over there. Has a more friendly user interface IMHO, although both brands have their good points.

As for adding other devices, my modest experience of using electronics on bikes over the years is to not believe any of the manufacturers. That way you won't be disappointed when their stuff doesn't work!

Our latest blue-tooth comms is the best we have had to date, but we have spent enough on these things to buy another bike.....

Thanks for listening!

Old 06-29-2011, 07:58 AM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

I'd say save a few $$ and get a non m/c model. You don't say which bike you have but a FLHT model deflects 90+% around the GPS. A simple sandwich bag covers nicely in a down pour and still useable....

Old 06-29-2011, 08:22 AM
riff1006
Cruiser

I'm using a TomTom 350XL with a RAM mount and a Glare Stomper. $169 for the GPS, $50 for the mount, $17.95 for the Glare Stomper. It works well for me.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:28 AM
Lawdawg
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Save even more money and use your cell phone, Verizon has a service for $10 a month called Verizon Navigator, if you use a smart phone try google maps or google navigation it is free and usually more accurate then a stand a lone GPS, why you ask? The typical GPS has maps that could be months or years old, the GPS program on your phone uses the internet to update, thats why it is usually more accurate.

I had a Tom Tom for a week and took it back, KI use my Droid X exclusively now, turn by turn directions if needed, directional map, all the comforts of a stand a lone GPS with the internet backing you up too.

As for mounting, the Droid X has a car mount that can be bought at Best buy, the suction cup mount will fit nicely on the RPM gauge and you still can see you top of the RPM needle.

Either way good luck, and don't listen to the ones that tell you not to have a GPS, it is your bike, do what you want.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:39 AM
honestbob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tom Tom ryder II. 3 years now and love it. Made specificly for motorcycles. comes with mount and all blue tooth mikes and speakers for helmet. inexpensive also.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:05 AM
Krow
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you don't want all that non-gps stuff, look at the Nuvi 550. It's waterproof, can store routes from you 'puter, and is less than 1/2 the cost of the Zumos. I think that will be my next step. Just can't justify the big bucks for a Zumo.

Old 06-29-2011, 11:44 AM
cantonrider
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got the 665 Zumo.....had the Glare Stomper and hated it.......ended up throwing it away at about 60mph when it was very effective...hated it..........

Quick Reply: which gps?