Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

which gps?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 12:03 PM
audettd
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He asked about being able to upload routes...now I'm not familiar with other models except Zumo...but most of my friends who don't own the ZUMO tell me they can't upload routes....that's one of the biggest downers.

Old 06-29-2011, 12:09 PM
shooter5074
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: Western Illinois, land of bad roads, and corrupt politicians
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by hankus1369
Hi. Just went round and round with Garmin, so this is near and dear to my heart. First, the only difference between the 660 and 550 is that the 660 does XM radio and the 550 does not (other than price).

Semper Fi!

Close.... but no.

550 has XM... but you need to buy the XM antenna (obsolete part, but still available on E-bay at times)

660 does NOT do XM

665 does XM

The 660 and 665 look the same...... everything is controlled with the touch screen.

The 550 is shaped different, and some functions are rubber "soft" buttons on the face of the GPS.

The 550 has some advantages...... it's built like a tank.

The 660 and 665 are lighter weight.... but bigger screen.

My wife has a 550, and I have a 660

Old 06-29-2011, 12:17 PM
rgjujitsu
Road Master

Thanks guys, lots of information! I have an 05 flhrs with the windshield mounted speaker, so I may use cell phone,it can do gps and play music.

Old 06-29-2011, 12:18 PM
rgjujitsu
Road Master

But a good programable gps that can be easily mounted wouldn't be a bad toy either.

Old 06-29-2011, 01:48 PM
roox
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by troop
I'd say save a few $$ and get a non m/c model. You don't say which bike you have but a FLHT model deflects 90+% around the GPS. A simple sandwich bag covers nicely in a down pour and still useable....
+1. I use a nuvi 3790. the screen on it can be seen clearly in any light.

Old 06-29-2011, 04:46 PM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

The new Garmin Nuvi 2460/2450 series are 5" displays with a lot of features. No problem seeing these on a bike ..
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134

Old 06-29-2011, 09:49 PM
Guitar4Him
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a Zumo 665. It's expensive...yes...but quite surprising, as far as, what you get when you purchase one. Here's some specs/details....

- Comes with clutch mount and u-bolt bar mount
- Comes with complete wiring harness for bike (power, audio, XM radio, microphone)
- Comes with automotive windshield mount
- Comes with automotive cigarette-lighter adapter
- Comes with USB cable for connection to PC
- Built-in XM receiver for audio, weather & traffic. Comes with "hockey-puck" antenna
- Can use micro-SD card up to 32 GB (not included). The card is used for storing mp3's, pictures, POI's, routes
- The built-in mp3 player will handle about 2,000 songs
- Has built-in photo viewer
- Can be connected to PC to transfer mp3's, pictures, routes, POI's Waypoints, Tracks
- Pre-plan routes on PC with included MapSource program and transfer to Zumo (or other folk's GPS's that can handle GPX routes)

As you can see...this is a powerful unit. Some of the surprises....
- I love the mp3 player. Once you learn your way around, it's easy to navigate to any particular music you desire....artist, album, song, playlist
- The bluetooth integration with your smartphone is slick. You can initiate or answer calls on the GPS. An incoming call appears on the screen with caller ID info. If the caller is in your phone's address book, that information will also appear on the screen. If you pull up some POI on the screen (for instance, from a search) and it has a phone number, you can touch the phone number on the screen and it will dial the number on your cell phone. If you use a helmet headset, you can talk on the phone (requires the Bomm adapter). I know that talking on the phone is a highly-debated subject so don't sidetrack this thread with the various arguments...I'm just reporting on the capabilities of the Zumo.
- The XM weather information is nice, especially when you're traveling.
- The XM traffic information is nice. Already, on my commute to work, it's kept me out of a traffic jam
- I have the names, addresses and phone numbers of every H-D dealership in America loaded on mine. Just bring up the list and it shows the dealerships ranked by their proximity to your current location....very handy when traveling.

The display is very viewable in direct sunlight. Transferring the unit from the bike to the car takes about 10 seconds....no cables to fool with....just press the unlock button and remove the Zumo from the mount...then, pop it in the other mount.

This thing rocks!

Old 06-29-2011, 10:25 PM
cantonrider
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quick note about ther 665.....I have found it really easy to transfer routes form the HD Ride Planner into the GPS using the "synch GPS" function. I've already loaded by 8/3/2011 trip from Atlanta to Montana to Yellowstone to Sturgis, etc and I'm very pleased.

Also used the HD Ride planner to synch my Zumo 665 for a long trip I took from ATL to Arkansas to Dallas, TX.....

Old 06-29-2011, 11:13 PM
E N AZ
Road Captain

I got the Road Tech 660 last week. I don't listen to the radio that much so I decided to go with the 660 instead of the 665. I don't need XM or weather. I left on a spur of the moment 4-day 3,000 mile trip the day after I got it. I really did not have time to even read the manual, so I didn't use it to full capacity as far as downloading the trip in advance.

It got me everywhere I wanted to go and was useful with motels, food, and gas station locations. It comes on and overrides the radio and CD player when needed. You can also use it in AUX without the radio or CD player on if you prefer and it still plays through the speakers. You can listen to the built-in MP-3 player in AUX through the speakers or headphones. I didn't even have a chance to download any music before the trip. I will be sure to have it available next time. I also plan to obtain a SIM card.

So far I really like the Road Tech 660. One thing to keep in mind is you will not be able to utilize the Navigation Module Interface (NMI) cable with a standard Garmin Zumo 660. You must have the Harley Davidson Road Tech 660/665 version. It has software that makes it compatible with the NMI cable. This is what allows the GPS to interupt the stereo/CD/CB/Intercom and voice GPS information through the speakers.

Last edited by E N AZ; 06-29-2011 at 11:16 PM.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:30 AM
MyFirstHD
Road Master

I just bought the Zumo 220. Paid less than $400. I am planning a two week trip in the mountains next month and really want the fuel locator and ability to program in "you are here" to find my way back when I'm lost.

I plug my mp3 into my radio so I don't need that. It has blue tooth but I don't need that. I hard wired the set up on my bike and put the car adapters in my car so I can use it in both vehicles. Has a MicroSD for programming routes.

Garmin has a one time free update if you hook up to their site within the first 90 days. Haven't tried that yet.

I keep the voice turned off. I did a practice run looking for "Auto Parts" in a strange city and it was pretty much on.

Last edited by MyFirstHD; 06-30-2011 at 01:19 PM.

Quick Reply: which gps?