Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Damn! Forgot the kickstand....$200 out the window

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 09:04 PM
jacknthebox
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Damn! Forgot the kickstand....$200 out the window

Guess it was my turn.....backed the bike out of the garage to wash - sat there a few seconds with something on my mind - start to lean the bike over on the stand.....no stand! Went down slowly and only ended up on the engine guard - BUT, I guess when I picked the bike up I damaged the handlebar/neck bushings and the bars/neck have about a 1/4 inch play forward and back. Dealer says inexpensive parts and about an hour and a half labor to fix....about $200.

Bummer of it is that my wife's car is in the shop having about $600 work....we rented a cabin for a week over the 4th...leaving on the 13th with my bro for 10 days to ride down to NC.....in other words been forking out a lot of money lately - so, I am going to hold off on the fix for now 'til I can afford it.

Old 06-28-2011, 09:10 PM
Johansson
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sucks but it happens, you know?

Old 06-28-2011, 09:30 PM
cdestuck
Supporter

Received 216 Likes on 102 Posts

Sorry to see the gooff. But trust me, you'll not the first and will not be the last to do the same. In time, youll let it go!!!!

Old 06-28-2011, 09:37 PM
Airborne Limited
Supporter
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I watched a guy pull into a bike night event, stop to let his girl off, pulled forward and never put his feet down ... you guessed it, WHAMO! Right over on its side, rider and all - in front of about 150 bikers. He was so embarrassed he never left the parking lot. But to show you what good people bikers are, at least 20 people ran over to check on him and help him get his bike rubber side down.

Moral of this story, it happens to a lot of people and your's could've been worse.

Old 06-28-2011, 09:40 PM
Theakerr
Tourer

One of life's funny moments (for the watchers not for the rider) was at a Rally and a BMW arrived late after a long ride, overtired and possibly suffering a bit from hypothermia. He came to a stop and just sat there feet up on the pegs. We watched as the bike, with him on it, slowly rolled over onto its side. Fortunately, it was on grass and no damage to rider or bike. It shore did look strange/wierd, like it was in slow motion but no-body had time to do anything.

Old 06-28-2011, 09:46 PM
jazzy jack
Road Captain

Most of us have done it, or we will.

Old 06-28-2011, 09:49 PM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 988 Likes on 679 Posts

What no warning light?????............o~`o.................

Old 06-29-2011, 07:03 AM
dnitram
Road Master

Here's a thing or two to look out for (Don't ask me how I know!)

1 - If you boot just happens to rest in a pool of solvent like brake cleaner, it'll make the bottom as slick as ice! You'll likely go over when you put your feet out when you stop.

2 - Oil Dry on the ground in front of a gas pump - Foot goes down to steady bike before getting off and slides like it's on roller bearings

3 - Same gas pump - fine sand - same results

4 - Neighbors yard - move scoot to let son out of garage, move bike in yard - stand down right over a hole he decided to fill with mulch

Last edited by dnitram; 06-29-2011 at 07:10 AM. Reason: Add
Old 06-29-2011, 07:13 AM
smac75
Intermediate

I did it my garage. By the time I realized it the bike was to far and had to lay it down slow on the bars. No damage. I had a hard time picking it up because I thought I would park it close to some things in the garage so I could have room to do other things. Lesson learned.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:56 AM
Coolhawg6622
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jazzy jack
Most of us have done it, or we will.

"MOST"????? 1 outta 100?

Never have and never will!! To me Its like forgetting to put yer cage in park and letting it roll/run away........ IMO.................

Quick Reply: Damn! Forgot the kickstand....$200 out the window