Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Leak:

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011 | 08:34 PM
geargrinder
|
Road Master
Default Transmission Leak:

What am I up against here? On my 01 Ultra, I have an oil leak coming from the main shaft, inner side of the drive belt sprocket. According to the service manual, there are two seals, a Mainshaft and Quad Seal. Even though I have a Baker DD6 transmission I'm assuming that these seals are like the stock HD transmission being that the Baker simply installs into the stock case. I've have the outer and inner primary case and clutch assy removed, now looking at the drive belt sprocket. I see that there is an 'O' ring that can be replaced without removing the sprocket with the right tools, would replacing it solve my problem?

Old 06-28-2011 | 08:41 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member

Fab the pulley nut socket tool, get a sprocket lock and replace both seals.

Old 06-28-2011 | 08:49 PM
geargrinder
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by dawg
Fab the pulley nut socket tool, get a sprocket lock and replace both seals.
Thanks for the response. I can see how the 'O' ring gets replaced with the sprocket left on but can the Mainshaft seal be replaced with the sprocket on or off?

Old 06-28-2011 | 09:05 PM
Bluetoys
Road Master

I am in the middle of the same problem. Tranny is leaking from seal behind sprocket on the main shaft gear. Once the sprocket was removed, the seal is easy to remove. Just put a small hole in the metal of the seal, screw a metal screw into it and pull the seal out using a slide hammer or a vice grips.
bad thing is, seals don't usually just start leaking on their own. My problem is that the double bearing behind the seal crapped out and the plastic carrier broke up causing the bearing to fail.
I have most of the dismantling done, but the tranny gearset needs to be removed and the bearing pressed out and the new bearing pressed onto the gear, then pressed into the case. The inner primary bearing race needs to be removed from the main shaft prior to the gearset being taken out.
I have determined that I don't have the tools necessary to complete this job so I am taking my bike to the local dealer to finish the job.
hope this helps

Old 06-28-2011 | 09:33 PM
geargrinder
|
Road Master

Bluetoys, thats where I think I am, taking it to someone who has all the special tools. In the 40+ years of biking, this will be the first time I will be taking my bike to someone to work on but it's also the first time I've had a transmission problem. I have it torn down to that point also. I just don't want to acquire or fabricate all the tools that they require. Thanks for your feedback.