Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultra tour pak on 05 RK ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 05:15 AM
Just Dave
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Biker
About five years ago I purchased a detachable tour pak from a 99 Ultra on EBay to put on my 02 Road King and I asked my local HD dealer the same wiring question. The dealer informed me that it could not be done. Determined to prove them wrong I researched many options and I finally went with Ride Time. I bought the Quick-Connect Accessory and Trailer Wiring Adapter and the RTQC Quick-Connect Universal Wiring Harness and without cutting any wires, I had the tour pak wired (and still detachable) within an hour.
That sure is aggravating when the dealers will not put any energy into helping you do something that is not in the book. I had one refuse to help me find a clutch cable that would work because I had changed the bars on a Sporster and the "one in the book" was not long enough. I suggested we could just hold the one I had in my hand up next to the ones he had hanging there in stock and he refused and threatened to call the law on me. LOL, I was kinda irate at this point but dam...

OP, hope you get it on there, seen a bunch of them so I know it is possible.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:07 PM
Doc o
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the help.
I'm going with the Ride Time. Very simple.
I do want to find the correct 3 prong plug that plugs into the pak.
I think J&Ps has them.

The parts girls at the dealer did try to help but I think when the techs run into something
not in thier manuals they're stumped.

Last edited by Doc o; 06-29-2011 at 09:11 PM.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:46 PM
Mr.Biker
Intermediate
Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

My tour pak lights (the side lights) had the female end of the RTQC Quick-Connect Wiring Harness on it when I bought it. I believe the connector is a 2-place Deutsch or multilock Connector (as seen in my service manual) so I was able to plug into the male end of the connector that I wired to the Quick-Connect Accessory and Trailer Wiring Adapter. When installing the RTQC I made sure that the connector was just inside my tour pak (there was a wire access hole in the bottom of the front left side of the pak) so I can still disconnect in seconds.

In my research I noticed that some tour paks use 3-place multilock connectors so you may need one of those if your pak has the side lights and the rear lights.