Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 into 1 or True Duals

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011 | 12:04 PM
o-matt
Advanced

I have a 2-1 on mine. This weekend in the mountains sold me completely. I gave her a nice workout and she rewarded me with performance and a delicious sound. The growl during acceleration was addicting, but I absolutely LOVED the way she sounded under hard decel. I can't even describe it, but it sounds wicked.

Old 06-28-2011 | 12:05 PM
FXDFan
Tourer

V&H Pro Pipe HO here on a 2011 103" SG... Love the the sound, good performance gain and really coming around to the look of 2-1 setup..

Attached Thumbnails 2 into 1 or True Duals-img_0099.jpg  
Old 06-28-2011 | 10:05 PM
mhud
Road Captain

I've had a Fatcat on my RG for the last 50K. In the beginning I thought the balanced look of 2 pipes was critical for a bagger so I spent a $169 on a ghost pipe. Took me a few thousand miles to realize I didn't need the extra pipe. No more extra cleaning, weight or stuff in the way. When I see a bagger with one pipe the bike looks hot and I know the rider is more concerned about the additional torque he gets thru out the RPM range than about how someone else thinks his bike looks.

Old 06-29-2011 | 02:15 AM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member

jeebus, some of you guys really take yourselves seriously, don't you....... lighten up and enjoy the ride, and don't try to second guess what makes another rider tick, and you'll be a lot more fun to hang out with at bike night.

Old 06-29-2011 | 06:52 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member

Personally can only be True Duals.Love the looks and the sound.We all have our own needs.

Old 06-29-2011 | 07:54 AM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by boogaloodude
jeebus, some of you guys really take yourselves seriously, don't you....... lighten up and enjoy the ride, and don't try to second guess what makes another rider tick, and you'll be a lot more fun to hang out with at bike night.
You mean kinda like you, Mr. pseudo-intellectual observation out of nowhere. You should avoid offering unsolicited personal behavior and social interaction advice to strangers on the internet. I think we were talking about exhausts until you derailed the thread, do you mind if we get back to it.

Old 06-29-2011 | 05:56 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by fabrik8r
You mean kinda like you, Mr. pseudo-intellectual observation out of nowhere. You should avoid offering unsolicited personal behavior and social interaction advice to strangers on the internet. I think we were talking about exhausts until you derailed the thread, do you mind if we get back to it.

I was referring to the holier-than-thou speculations that anyone running tds was not a "rider" or was more interested in how he looked in front of the bar.

I know the rider is more concerned about the additional torque he gets thru out the RPM range than about how someone else thinks his bike looks.
2 into 1s are for riders. Duals are for guys who park in front of the bar and rap up their pipes or stand around looking at their bike.

what part of that got you all hot and bothered is beyond me. I've been building my own bikes and hotrods since the early 70s. I have been clean and sober for three years, don't hang out in or in front of bars, and have never used the term "pseudo-intellectual" in a conversation.

sounds to me like you need a ride or a hug, which can I do for you?

Last edited by Mike; 06-29-2011 at 06:15 PM.
Old 06-29-2011 | 10:48 PM
Northside
Road Warrior

I didn't mean to offend anyone with the "riders" comment. I'm just saying guys who care more about sound and looks have a different priority than guys who appreciate the fun that is added to a bagger with a 2 into 1 exhaust. I used to build show bikes years ago. I rode the hell out of them too. So I understand that a nice looking bike is important to a lot of guys. My point is that a 2 into 1 exhaust is tailor made for baggers. They improve low end torque which is exactly what a heavy bike needs. I don't see many guys replacing their 2 into 1s for duals. If riding fun is your priority, a 2 into 1 makes a lot of sense.

Old 06-30-2011 | 01:52 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Northside
I didn't mean to offend anyone with the "riders" comment. I'm just saying guys who care more about sound and looks have a different priority than guys who appreciate the fun that is added to a bagger with a 2 into 1 exhaust. I used to build show bikes years ago. I rode the hell out of them too. So I understand that a nice looking bike is important to a lot of guys. My point is that a 2 into 1 exhaust is tailor made for baggers. They improve low end torque which is exactly what a heavy bike needs. I don't see many guys replacing their 2 into 1s for duals. If riding fun is your priority, a 2 into 1 makes a lot of sense.

I wasn't offended, just poking back a little. I don't take anything on the forums personally, it's supposed to be fun.

We all want the same thing... which is a balance of looks, sound and performance without breaking the bank. I keep the Rinehart TDs on my bike because they work for me, and they work very well, especially with the quiet baffles. I love the way my bike sounds at idle, it's got a nice lopey harley sounding idle, and the TDs enhance that. The 2-1 exhaust will tame the idle sound a bit, and I don't really want that. I grew up with pans and shovels, and the twin cam motor is a little too refined sounding to me. (Can't argue with the reliability and performance, though.)

What I said, originally, was that looks and sound are also important to me, and I can find other ways to boost performance and still keep my TDs.

A new D&D fatcat is about a thousand bucks now, which will buy a lot of go fast goodies for your motor. I put together a 107 kit for my bike: jugs, CP forged pistons, cams, Smith Bros pushrods, Headquarters Black Ops lifters, spent less than what the fatcat would have cost, and will get a bigger bang for the buck. I'll sell the 103 jugs, pistons, 204 cams and lifters that come off the bike and the whole upgrade will wind up costing less than 500 bucks out of pocket. For a little more than 500 bucks, I might get a pro pipe, but I'd rather have the 107. All I need now is a spare day to put it together.

I completely support the notion that you should be able to make your bike what you want it to be. If your choices are different than mine, I don't care in the least, hell I'll come help you put it on your bike. The forum, for me, is about riders helping other riders. I've helped forum members put cams in their bikes, and another forum member helped me with my compensator install. Anyone here in the Seattle area that wants help with a cam swap or top end overhaul can pm me and I'll make time to help them get it done.

Last edited by Mike; 06-30-2011 at 02:11 PM.
Old 06-30-2011 | 02:35 PM
Hek73
Advanced

I think the V&H Power Duals give you an excellent performance without sacrificing the looks. I have been using them for about 2 months now and I am extremely happy with my setup (looks and performance-wise).

Quick Reply: 2 into 1 or True Duals