Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RK feels like it's floating

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 10:48 PM
jcbii
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RK4ME
My '04 RK moves around a lot in rain grooves but it doesn't bother me too much.
You know, that could be the problem. I'm thinking I might try some different tires the next time I go to replace mine.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:54 PM
jcbii
Advanced

Originally Posted by patsfan
Confirm tire pressure with the tires recommended pressure, check tires for wear/cupping, check front wheel bearing for play, do fall away test for steering head, check air in shocks, Cant remember if your 04 has air upfront. Check motor mounts.
Being its an 04, when was the last time the fork oil was changed?
I've only had it a few months now, so I haven't taken it in for any service. But the place I bought it from said they do a complete inspection & service on any bike they sell. I know that could be BS, but this dealer has a good reputation. I plan to take my RK there instead of the Harley dealer. No air up front, btw.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:59 PM
jcbii
Advanced

Originally Posted by racerx1
Compared to a smaller bike with more modern suspension, my 06 Street Glide floats too. Remember, (especially older) Harley's are big heavy bikes with wiggly frames, rubber mounted engines and pretty archaic suspension. They won't handle like a Japanese touring bike or even an older sport bike.

Ain't that the truth! This RK is a lot different than either the Lowrider I had, or the Suzuki VStrom I had before that. I'm still trying to get used to the weight. I used to lane-split all the time while riding my other bikes, but I'm holding back on that for now. I love the bike, but it's going to take awhile to get used to.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:16 PM
gtrplyr
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Does your Road King have stock suspension? HD springs suck! I had the same feeling that you're describing, switched to Progressive front springs and Progressive rear shocks, and now the bike feels solid.

Old 06-29-2011, 01:04 AM
jcbii
Advanced

Originally Posted by gtrplyr
Does your Road King have stock suspension? HD springs suck! I had the same feeling that you're describing, switched to Progressive front springs and Progressive rear shocks, and now the bike feels solid.
Everything on my RK is stock. I like the height of my bike -- does the progressive shocks lower it any?

Old 06-29-2011, 10:01 AM
gtrplyr
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by jcbii
Everything on my RK is stock. I like the height of my bike -- does the progressive shocks lower it any?
Progressive makes both stock height springs and shocks, as well as lowering springs and shocks. Its up to you for what you want for height. I have stock height springs in my forks and 12.5" (1/2" lower than stock) shocks on the rear. I really like how my bike rides. If I remember correctly the stock height replacement fork springs are about a hundred bucks, or you can get the really nice monotubes which are a bit more. Eventually I want to go with the monotubes but I don't feel like dropping $300 right now.

I really think if you upgrade your suspension that it'll take care of the "floating" feeling that you're getting. I remember when I first bought my FLHT and was on the highway, I was like "something is not right." The best way I can describe the feeling is to say that it felt like the front wanted to slip out from under me because it wasn't firmly planted on the road. Turns out its just how the stock suspension works. Dealer told me it was in my head, but once I switched out the front fork springs all was solved. Now every time I allow someone else to ride my bike they always comment how great it handles.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:03 AM
gtrplyr
Road Warrior

Oh yeah... I got my springs from Phat Performance Parts. They had the best price and shipping was quick. I also really like Dennis Kirk as you can send anything back no questions asked for just $7.99 shipping.