Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got my Dynabeads today

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 08:09 AM
mech8251
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only thing I've noticed with mine is that with running Dunlop (E 3's ) the beads void any and all warranty on the tires. Other than that they're good.

http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/info...warranties.asp

Last edited by mech8251; 09-07-2011 at 08:12 AM.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:22 AM
ncdan
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

can anyone advise why 2 0z. of BB's would not do the same thing.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:22 AM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ncdan
can anyone advise why 2 0z. of BB's would not do the same thing.

they will...but I wouldn't use them as they are kind of large and may not balance the tire as perfectly as something smaller...like maybe #7-8 steel shotgun shot

Old 09-15-2011, 12:02 AM
seoris
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not for or against Dyna beads,they may work perfectly, but there is something fishy about that you tube video. When that light is strobing the wheel should have a stop motion look to it but all parts of it remain frozen(the ***** and retaining stap in exactly the same place) and the flashing pattern of the light is not really consistent so it wouldn't be capturing everything in the exact place with every strobe.

Old 09-15-2011, 07:19 PM
SMsgt Tom
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by seoris
I'm not for or against Dyna beads,they may work perfectly, but there is something fishy about that you tube video. When that light is strobing the wheel should have a stop motion look to it but all parts of it remain frozen(the ***** and retaining stap in exactly the same place) and the flashing pattern of the light is not really consistent so it wouldn't be capturing everything in the exact place with every strobe.
Play around with a strobe light and you'll find the video was very accurate. When the strobe is sync'd properly, everything will appear to be stopped (frozen). The apparent flashing in the video is caused by the frame rate of the video camera not being in sync with the strobe, not the actual flashing of the strobe light.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:03 PM
fireaxxe
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
FWIW to those considering these, in the Oct. 2006 issue of Motorcycle Consumer News, Dyna Beads were tested and found to be ineffective. I couldn't find an on-line copy of that test but did find a summary from the Dec. 2010 issue:

"MCN evaluated the Dyna Beads on a reader's suggestion back in October of 2006. Although the tiny white ceramic beads have apparently found favor with long-haul truckers, we tested them in a Honda 599. Using a shop's spin balancer, we checked the bike's rear wheel, which had 1.6 oz. of balance weights in place. The balancer agreed with the amount and location of the weights. After installing the specified two ounces of beads in the rear tire and then removing the rim weights, the balancer found an out of balance condition. This test was repeated five times and the balancer continued to call for the replacement of the 1.6 oz. of rim weights in the same location. Over-the-road testing was next. Without the rim weights, the rear wheel produced noticeable vibration and the installation of the beads gave a barely perceptible improvement. Also, the weight of the beads added so close to the tire tread gave a noticeable increase in gyro stability, making the steering heavier. We also tried them on a car and were disappointed. Bottom line: Save your money for a proper spin balance."

I have no first-hand experience with Dyna Beads and am not trying to rain on anyone's picnic, but just offer this info as a FYI.
I wonder if MCN makes wheel weights or was paid by a company that does, to review this product. Its like anything else gotta know your source. But ultimately you have to try things for yourself. I do know however that the science of balancing a tire or any other round object in this manner does work. I think most of the problems that most of you are having is knowing how much weight to use. The two ounces recommended by dynabeads are a happy medium for a tire that has good balancing characteristics, just a guideline. Sometimes 2oz. is too much and sometimes not enough I would recommend having the tires balanced (dynamically) and getting the numbers then adding this amount of weight in the form of the beads maybe a little extra for the stray beads and trying this way.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:03 PM
mcain49
Road Master
Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Put the Dyna-Beads in my UC last week. 3 oz. in the rear and 2 oz. in the front. Had a little vibration just above 60 mph before installing. It's gone now and very smooth at all highway speeds now. Worked for me.

Old 10-09-2011, 03:40 PM
drukanfu
Supporter
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

No thanks, sounds like a Hit or Miss product.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:58 PM
twistedcherokee
Road Warrior
Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Found my problem, it was a bad rear tire, out of round. The tread wore off & I had to replace my rear tire & noticed that it was to the cords in one spot & still had tread on the opposite side. Got my new rear tire & went out & it was smooth again, & yes I put the DB back in.

Toby

Old 10-09-2011, 08:23 PM
ican
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just keep in mind, they don't balance the tire. They help prevent or reduce Resonance, but try to get someone from Dyna beads or equal to put in writing that they will dynamicaly balance the tire and wheel assembly...