Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got my Dynabeads today

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 12:02 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,167 Likes on 3,676 Posts

i HAVE MY WHEELS BALANCED AND PUT THE BEADS IN... SMOOTH AS SILK... I AM NOT SURE IF IT WOULD HAVE BEEN AS SMOOTH WITHOUT THE BEADS BUT IT IS SMOOTH...i DON'T CARE ABOUT THE WAY THE WEIGHTS LOOK... I USE IT FOR FUNCTION NOT LOOKS...DON'T GIVE A **** ABOUT PHYSICS IS SCHMISICS, TO ME IT WORKS AND I WILL KEEP USINGIT... IT'S NOT LIKE IT'S HARD TO USE SO WTF..

Old 07-28-2011, 12:39 PM
Schex
Supporter
Received 7,046 Likes on 1,858 Posts

I made sure not to get anything in the tire that would stop the beads from movimg freely or clumping together.

I use liquid wrench brand dry film lubricant (autozone) to mount the tires rather than any oil or soap that might stick to the dynabeads.

I also used nitrogen to seat beads and set pressure, (mostly because I happen to have some around that we use in kart racing tires to stop unwanted pressure gain...dry)

I have a freind that has a 2010 RK with 4k on it. I noticed the other day his rear tire had four oz. of stick on weights on each side of the rim in the same location (8 oz), I don't think 2oz. of beads would have much effect on that tire/wheel combo,
I would not have accepted the bike like that.

Old 07-28-2011, 12:52 PM
Fat Cat
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I KNOW this first hand. I bought ME880 for my fatboy rear replacement...also bought the dyna beads to throw in there while I was changing the tire. Well I decided not to put the beads in nor did I take the old balancing weights off rim before I installed the new tire. Thought I'd take a test ride down the Interstate to checkout how bad it might be so I can do a before and after assesment. Well, it rode so smooth, certainly as smooth as the old dunlop I took off and probably smoother...so I DID NOT use the dyna beads and getting ready to return them.

Old 07-28-2011, 02:02 PM
grumman581
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I figured that the reason that the spin balancers might not show an improvement with the dynabeads was that they didn't keep the tire spinning long enough for things to stabilize.

Old 07-31-2011, 10:08 AM
dc3mek
Cruiser

A major problem with the theory of static balance as opposed to dynamic which does need a couple of seconds to work, is that how often do you go back to check the balance on your tires....if anyone says every year, cool, if anyone says twice a season...I'd say....prove it. If anyone said every time the wheel makes a revolution, you're using dynamic balance. In other words, in real world we don't balance our tire anywhere near as much as they need to be. Loads will build up over time and the tire will go out of balance, if you have a brake rotor that alternately locks and unlocks (causing impulse braking) you'll have a light spot where the tire is wearing more because of that one (or more) spot (s) where the brake is binding more. There is no way a static balance can compensate for that. Now making the argument that you leave the brake system alone, (due to negilgence or more commonly not noticing it) you are going to have a significant balance problem arise. Now of course you need to get a pulsating brake problem fixed asap, I'm just showing the practicality of dynamic balancing. The tire remains balanced, and as for your shocks wearing out....a theoretically perfectly balance tire is going to wear your shocks much less slowly than a tire that is always working the shock.
I understand the physics....it has taken a while to, but it was easiest for me to actually see it. That's why I found and am going to post this link to a video which shows under stroboscope that the beads do in fact work.
Now to the argument that the tire itself maybe the cause of the vibration (bear with me I know that's what we're talking about), you can actually see that the tire is impacted upon by what looks to be harmonics of it's own making because it appears to be mishaped in several places at first. Maybe a possible cause of cupping along with worn shocks? Just something to think about.
I don't have sound on my computer, so I couldn't hear what the presenter was saying. So if I've said anything different that was covered in it I apologize.
Here's the link...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skY6qvzpNXI

Old 07-31-2011, 10:52 AM
grumman581
Advanced

Most people don't even bother getting the tires on their cars rebalanced every year, much less their motorcycle tires -- and it is a lot easier to remove car tires than motorcycle tires... And this is even in cases where the purchase of the tires comes with lifetime balancing and rotation... People just don't want to take the time to go to the tire store and wait around possibly a couple of hours... Removing your tires on a motorcycle is a bigger pain in the *** than on a car, so people are more likely to just balance them originally and leave it that way until it is time to get new tires. Now, having said that, I don't think that either of the two tires (1 tire each for 2 different bikes) that I recently utilized 0.25 gram Airsoft BBs for dynamic balancing even had any previous balancing weight on the wheels...

Old 07-31-2011, 12:09 PM
Baffler1
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dc3mek
A major problem with the theory of static balance as opposed to dynamic which does need a couple of seconds to work, is that how often do you go back to check the balance on your tires....if anyone says every year, cool, if anyone says twice a season...I'd say....prove it. If anyone said every time the wheel makes a revolution, you're using dynamic balance. In other words, in real world we don't balance our tire anywhere near as much as they need to be. Loads will build up over time and the tire will go out of balance, if you have a brake rotor that alternately locks and unlocks (causing impulse braking) you'll have a light spot where the tire is wearing more because of that one (or more) spot (s) where the brake is binding more. There is no way a static balance can compensate for that. Now making the argument that you leave the brake system alone, (due to negilgence or more commonly not noticing it) you are going to have a significant balance problem arise. Now of course you need to get a pulsating brake problem fixed asap, I'm just showing the practicality of dynamic balancing. The tire remains balanced, and as for your shocks wearing out....a theoretically perfectly balance tire is going to wear your shocks much less slowly than a tire that is always working the shock.
I understand the physics....it has taken a while to, but it was easiest for me to actually see it. That's why I found and am going to post this link to a video which shows under stroboscope that the beads do in fact work.
Now to the argument that the tire itself maybe the cause of the vibration (bear with me I know that's what we're talking about), you can actually see that the tire is impacted upon by what looks to be harmonics of it's own making because it appears to be mishaped in several places at first. Maybe a possible cause of cupping along with worn shocks? Just something to think about.
I don't have sound on my computer, so I couldn't hear what the presenter was saying. So if I've said anything different that was covered in it I apologize.
Here's the link...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skY6qvzpNXI
now this puts it in perspective - & i do have sound on my computer - thanks

Old 07-31-2011, 12:59 PM
dc3mek
Cruiser

I got 13k out of my rear E3 and I probably could have got more. This is the first set of E3's I've ever used, but, 13k out of the rear is excellent in my view and I'm thinking (don't have any real proof) that they stayed good for that long because of the dynamic balancing. The reason I changed them may or may not be a good one...I still haven't looked at them in real detail to tell, but they did start cupping and in a very uniform way. But I noticed the cupping after I did an inspection because of what I beleived was sudden tire noise coming from the rear. The rear tire still had (guessing here) another 5 k of tread! Again, don't know if it would be because of the dynamic balance or the tire, but, the tread was VERY uniform all the way around.
I've had 4 Dunlop tires separate on me and I was convinced this one had. I heard the sound after a brief 95 mph spurt. Now, we can argue that at 13k on the rear I shouldn't have been doing that...but again, the tire looked great....or so I thought....You couldn't really see the cupping but you could feel it. It was very simetrical.
I don't want to turn this into a tire thread, but, I love those tires and I contribute the cupping to my assinine negligence of not checking tire pressures for a month or so....when I did finally get around to it...it was at 26 in the rear...for how long...I don't know.

Last edited by dc3mek; 07-31-2011 at 08:49 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:47 PM
dc3mek
Cruiser

I forgot to say you're welcome Baffler1!

Old 08-01-2011, 05:19 PM
robbie52
Road Warrior
Received 141 Likes on 102 Posts

I have put about 1500 miles on my new American Elites with dynabeads and am completely satisfied with results. I do not believe the wheel needs to be balanced prior to installing the tire and using dynabeads. If the wheel is way out of balance, it may require additional beads to compensate for out of balance. The combination of the tire and wheel create a specific out of balance that has to be compensated for and the beads will move to balance tire.

Quick Reply: Got my Dynabeads today