Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$20 down the drain

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006 | 01:58 PM
jmxp
|
Tourer
Default $20 down the drain

I'm installing chrome switch housings, chrome master cylinder/clutch perch, so I thought some Chrome switch caps would look cool.

I took everything apart last night, installed the chrome switch caps and put the switches in the new chrome housings. Wasn't impressed. There wasn't anything wrong with the chrome, but it was too monochromatic. I put the black switches back on one side and compared them side-by-side and thought the black switches looked much better. So, I pulled the chrome switches off the other one and I'm going to keep the black switches. After all of that I nicked the turn signal switches, so I can't even sell the damn things on ebay now.

Sigh....

Old 11-05-2006 | 02:00 PM
anubisss
Banned
Default RE: $20 down the drain

I have the chrome switch hosuings with the black buttons too. You can still sell it on ebay, jsut tell its not in "perfect" or "brand new" condition...

Old 11-05-2006 | 02:11 PM
luvmyflhtcui
Road Captain

Sell them with good pictures of the scraches. They are probably not bad for someone looking for a cheaper alternative. You can sell just about ANYTHING on Ebay. It's better to sell them cheaper and lose less than to throw them away and lose it all.

Good luck. I have the Chrome Switch housings also and I kept the black switches. This is my second Harley with the same configuration.

Ride Safe.

Old 11-05-2006 | 02:14 PM
jmxp
|
Tourer

Here's a pic with the switches installed:

Old 11-05-2006 | 02:16 PM
cemax12000
Cruiser

Looks much better with the black switches.

Old 11-05-2006 | 02:24 PM
SubZer0
Road Master

I put the chrome switch caps on when I still had the black switch housings and they looked good. Now I've installed the chrome switch housings, brake reservoir and clutch bracket. Not sure what I think about the caps now, might be a bit to much chrome. I'm glad I kept the old black caps just in-case.

Old 11-05-2006 | 02:27 PM
jmxp
|
Tourer

ORIGINAL: SubZer0

I put the chrome switch caps on when I still had the black switch housings and they looked good. Now I've installed the chrome switch housings, brake reservoir and clutch bracket. Not sure what I think about the caps now, might be a bit to much chrome. I'm glad I kept the old black caps just in-case.
Good problems to have I supposed. I'll tell you though, I'm NOT taking this stuff apart again if I don't have to. My chrome housings were 'off' by just a little bit. I had to use a dremel to grind one of the plates down, and one of the screws that holds the plates down didn't bite, I went to a slightly large screw and it worked fine.

Old 11-05-2006 | 02:38 PM
bountyhunter
Banned

Stock housings, chrome accents.

Old 11-05-2006 | 02:42 PM
SubZer0
Road Master

I don't cherish the idea of taking those damn things apart again, they're a real pain in the back side. Lots of wiring crammed in there especially with the radio and cruse control switches.
ORIGINAL: jump

ORIGINAL: SubZer0

Good problems to have I supposed. I'll tell you though, I'm NOT taking this stuff apart again if I don't have to. My chrome housings were 'off' by just a little bit. I had to use a dremel to grind one of the plates down, and one of the screws that holds the plates down didn't bite, I went to a slightly large screw and it worked fine.

Old 11-05-2006 | 05:37 PM
Thundercloud
Road Master

I have the black switches with chrome housings on both of my bikes, I think you need contrast to make it look good. I think the way BH has his with the chrome switch in the black housing looks cool too!!

Quick Reply: $20 down the drain