Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil cooler???

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 06:30 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by speakerfritz
your buying into a marketing ploy. sometimes manufactures make things different just so they can say it is.
Your'e right, I'm buying into a marketing ploy of an improved desgn, I'm a sucker for intelligently engineered products.

The HD filter adapter only routes oil thru the filter when temps are above 240 degrees.
Reeeheeeheeehealy, would care to quote a reference, Oh you can't because you just made that up.

truth be told, I advocate the use of any oil cooler, the brand and technology are less important. If you want to route oil thru your frame or handle bars, thats fine too.
This is the only sensible thing you have posted.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:16 AM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Beemervet
That is only true if there are no variables, such as ambient temp, speed, load, etc.
Incorrect, for the above, all of those items are taken into account when the designers designed the cooling of the motor (we hope)....What may not be taken into account is the possible changes that the end user has done to the motor (i.e., adding high performance parts, or blocking air flow etc.) which increases the amount of heat the motor produces or negates its ability to dissipate it compared to stock...This [I believe] is why HD added oil coolers to their high performance motors and the factory 103 motors...But you should be able to run a stock 88/96 motor all day long in all conditions (for which it was designed to run in) without a external oil cooler with no adverse effects to the motor..People often say 'my motor runs hot' and they want to add a cooler etc to make it run cooler...but what they are often speaking of is "perceived " heat (the motor feels hot on their legs etc.) , the only real way to tell if a motor is running hot is to check the oil/metal temp...actually, the motor feeling hot is a good thing, it tells you that the motor is dissipating the heat from the motor into the air (the motor is cool[er] and the air is hotter)...and in reality a oil cooler may help this issue as it will help dissipate the heat somewhere other than directly under the operators ***..But that in no means means the motor is actually running TOO hot and damaging itself...

Old 06-30-2011, 10:10 AM
ftanner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mrfikser
Incorrect, for the above, all of those items are taken into account when the designers designed the cooling of the motor (we hope)....What may not be taken into account is the possible changes that the end user has done to the motor (i.e., adding high performance parts, or blocking air flow etc.) which increases the amount of heat the motor produces or negates its ability to dissipate it compared to stock...This [I believe] is why HD added oil coolers to their high performance motors and the factory 103 motors...But you should be able to run a stock 88/96 motor all day long in all conditions (for which it was designed to run in) without a external oil cooler with no adverse effects to the motor..People often say 'my motor runs hot' and they want to add a cooler etc to make it run cooler...but what they are often speaking of is "perceived " heat (the motor feels hot on their legs etc.) , the only real way to tell if a motor is running hot is to check the oil/metal temp...actually, the motor feeling hot is a good thing, it tells you that the motor is dissipating the heat from the motor into the air (the motor is cool[er] and the air is hotter)...and in reality a oil cooler may help this issue as it will help dissipate the heat somewhere other than directly under the operators ***..But that in no means means the motor is actually running TOO hot and damaging itself...
Personally, living in the middle of the desert, I would rather have the extra "insurance". I have had an oil cooler on ALL of my air cooled vehicles. I'd rather have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

I was out on a motorcycle the day about 20 years ago when it was 122. Even water cooled vehicles were dying that day.

Old 06-30-2011, 11:04 AM
kevmiami
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From a philosophical view, it's important to understand manufactures never design any product to function 100% in all environments. They balance cost of build with, pick a number (e.g. 80/20 rule) of defects. There will always be people too heavy for a specific chair and/or it's not cost effective to design cars to run well in -30 and 122 degree weather, even though it happens several times a year, in different portions of the country. They gamble on the balance - this is why H-D had such a terrible reputation for the dark years (AMF) and there are still specific components which have bad reputations if you operate on the fringe of design envelope. It makes much more economic and design sense to not put oil coolers on every bike, but let the consumer add one if judged necessary for their operating environment. H-D makes more money, but they do gamble a little on their reputation, if this decision causes failures - and we are not hearing very many (any) stories of outright "failures" do to not having an oil cooler. Just a big picture thought; cheers, Kevin.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:14 AM
razehog
Advanced
Default where to purchase?

Is there a sponsor on the forum to buy Jagg coolers? thx

Old 07-05-2011, 11:17 AM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 480 Likes on 126 Posts

Dennis Kirk ,Phat Performance , Dr. V Twin just to name a few
Originally Posted by razehog
Is there a sponsor on the forum to buy Jagg coolers? thx

Old 07-07-2011, 05:27 PM
Tomz1178
6th Gear

I'm Wanting an oil cooler for my ride, 2008 street glide, stock other than stage one breather. On 85 to 90 degree day's in Ct I was hitting oil temps of 269 to 288 degrees , I might add these temps are not in heavy stop an go situations which scares me, God forbid I get caught in traffic, I shudder to think what my head temps where. First step I installed T-Max with auto tune to richen up my AFR. With about the same outside temps and riding style I now have oil temps of 243 to 268 degrees. I would still like to lower my temps a bit more so I'm researching oil coolers, and leaning towards the ultra cool, unless Jagg is comin out real soon with a fan model.

Old 07-07-2011, 05:59 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Tomz1178
I'm Wanting an oil cooler for my ride, 2008 street glide, stock other than stage one breather. On 85 to 90 degree day's in Ct I was hitting oil temps of 269 to 288 degrees , I might add these temps are not in heavy stop an go situations which scares me, God forbid I get caught in traffic, I shudder to think what my head temps where. First step I installed T-Max with auto tune to richen up my AFR. With about the same outside temps and riding style I now have oil temps of 243 to 268 degrees. I would still like to lower my temps a bit more so I'm researching oil coolers, and leaning towards the ultra cool, unless Jagg is comin out real soon with a fan model.
Wait for the Jagg

Old 07-07-2011, 06:04 PM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 480 Likes on 126 Posts

I talked to Marv Beals from Jagg today, his fan assisted oil cooler will be available next week sometime for sale , he has a few parts that are coming in this week from the powder coater and he is working on getting the sku #'s put in the system
Originally Posted by Tomz1178

Old 07-07-2011, 06:17 PM
Moonrider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put a screamin eagle cooler on about 4 years ago. At first I thought it didn't work, didn't get hot. So I checked the therm. and it worked fine. Come to find out, it takes a while for the oil to get hot enough for full flow through the cooler. Evern today after a long ride I can put my hand on the cooler.

Quick Reply: oil cooler???