Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil cooler???

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 02:25 PM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 480 Likes on 126 Posts

I've had Jagg in the past, the Jagg is a 10 row with different fin design , the Harley is a 7 row so the Jagg has better cooling capabilities, I had better results with the Jagg controlling temperature in the past but do not think it is going to be a huge difference but I noticed in the past once I was moving Jagg brought the temperature down quicker than the HD unit , I am going to get the fan on the newer one because it is a nice option however on my 2011 103 I am not having hi temperatures around town , it is on the highway , when out cruising if I stay 75 or below temperature is fine , running 80 or better it heats up real quick warmer than I like
Originally Posted by steve 55
Is the hd oil cooler that bad or do you want the jagg with the fan?

Old 06-28-2011, 02:49 PM
ftanner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Drail
Man, these summers seem to be getting hotter and hotter. Anyone installed an oil cooler on their touring bike?
I sure do.

Old 06-28-2011, 02:52 PM
ftanner
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Azpostal
So I really need to put one on here in AZ?? It's only been 110+ for the last week.
I would recommend getting one. I installed one within a few months of getting my Road King Classic.

Old 06-28-2011, 02:54 PM
ftanner
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by CopperHD
I went out for a nice ride the other day for about 5 hours and it was about 114 out in the middle of the day, neither one of the bikes exploded so i figure i am good without one. My Ultra does not have a oil temp gauge but the softail was about 225-240 which is normal for summertime. I swear some of these people in places up north are so afraid of "high" temperatures and when it comes to oil temps they throw every item known to man to cool it a few degrees, come on down here and then you will know the true definition of what hot actually is.
Then there are some of us that live in the desert that would like to give our bike every advantage possible to keep the thing from having issues. Heat can and will cause detonation issues. Since these bikes, at least the TC96, uses oil spray cooling for the pistons, having the oil a little cooler, thus cooling down the piston just a little more, doesn't seem like a bad thing to me.

For the record, I also had an extra oil cooler on my air cooled Volkswagen Beetle too.

Last edited by ftanner; 06-28-2011 at 02:58 PM.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:19 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by sargek
Ah, OK. Funny because it's just a hunk of metal that adds an inlet and outlet pipe to the filter mount...maybe the Jagg ones are ported and polished 3/8th sounds about right for the hoses - I think the stockers are 3/8th as well.

Thanks for the info, appreciate it.
The JAGG adapter is considerable more than a hunk of metal that adds an inlet and outlet pipe, the HD adapter is more like your description.

Old 06-28-2011, 03:44 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by CopperHD
I went out for a nice ride the other day for about 5 hours and it was about 114 out in the middle of the day, neither one of the bikes exploded so i figure i am good without one. My Ultra does not have a oil temp gauge but the softail was about 225-240 which is normal for summertime. I swear some of these people in places up north are so afraid of "high" temperatures and when it comes to oil temps they throw every item known to man to cool it a few degrees, come on down here and then you will know the true definition of what hot actually is.
You're full of crap guy, I just felt compelled to put that out there.

Old 06-28-2011, 03:46 PM
ftanner
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by fabrik8r
The JAGG adapter is considerable more than a hunk of metal that adds an inlet and outlet pipe, the HD adapter is more like your description.
Incorrect. The HD adapter is a "hunk of metal that adds an inlet and outlet pipe" and a thermostat..... Just like the Jagg adapter plate.

Old 06-28-2011, 03:48 PM
ftanner
Outstanding HDF Member

I ride in the same place he does, and I agree with your assessment of this guy. The oil cooler made a very noticeable improvement with engine temps and with pinging (yes even with 91 (the best we can get here) fuel).

Old 06-28-2011, 05:17 PM
CopperHD
Advanced

If you say so, stop babying the bike and go ride it. I had not had any issues riding in AZ in the middle of summer, if anything i overheat before the bike does. Why not just rip out that air cooled engine with all the attachments to keep it cool and throw in something liquid cooled.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:30 PM
CopperHD
Advanced

I can understand the reason why some want an oil cooler or parade fan and in the past i toyed with the idea of putting them on but just came to conclusion that when its that damm hot out a few degrees cooler is not going to matter that much. I am sure that my lack of experience and technical knowledge of the inner workings of the 96 aids in this decision and maybe one day i will see the light but it is just not for me now. I suppose to each their own i just don't see why people in cooler climates feel the need for something like an oil cooler

Quick Reply: oil cooler???