Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Gas Flow Experts "Advice and Opinions Needed"

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 10:42 PM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Exhaust Gas Flow Experts "Advice and Opinions Needed"

OK I have been battling these TD Rineharts on my 06 for a while now and am getting pretty tired of the "Loud" on any length of a ride. I know the correct way to fix this is to change the total exhaust from the TD Rinehart to something else quieter and get tune via another dyno. But my question is what would happen if I was able to install a set of stock mufflers on the Rinehart TD head pipe? Would this cause any issues with now running with a more restrictive muffler? As these mufflers would now have more back pressure on the valves and restrict the flow of the escaping gases. I have always understood that if you just change the mufflers on a stock bike to more free flowing you did not need to remap. So would this apply the other way as well? I understand that the TD's have a different size pipe. I will deal with that issue. I am just asking specifically about the change over to a more restrictive muffler and what if anything this will affect with regards to the flow of gases and current tune.

Old 06-26-2011, 10:57 PM
twistedcherokee
Road Warrior
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Any time you change the exhaust or intake, it will affect the overall efficiency of the mapping. The system can make small changes but the only way to see what it is doing or is capable would be to dyno it after. Is there a smaller baffle out there that might help? Maybe pull yours out & get pics & measurements & some body may have some thing that will do the trick. I am thinking about using the baffles & tips from the mufflers I have now & putting them into a different body (the mufflers I have are great sound but too long). But the SE slip ons have a different baffle that may fit with some mods into your mufflers. Or you might get an idea to od yours to quiet them down. Good luck

Toby

Old 06-26-2011, 11:27 PM
Gearhead3
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another problem you'll experience is that stock mufflers are different left to right. The left side is generally sized smaller than the right. It's not a problem with an exhaust with a crossover pipe because the pressure will equalize because of the crossover. However, with true duals this isn't possible and now one side is considerably more restrictive than the other. If you found two right side (least restrictive) mufflers to install, I think you'd be much better off. Sorry, but I'm unable to give you an answer on the tuning issues you'd run into.

Old 06-26-2011, 11:35 PM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Good point Gearhead. Didn't think about that one!