Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ohlins #6 Installed on SG

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2011 | 05:20 PM
62hdbiker
Tourer

Originally Posted by tj316
once your preload is set ride it , if it feels unstable , loose , bouncy , bottoming then go clock wise , if it feels hard or bumpy go counter clock wise , don't go more than 1 or 2 clicks at a time and keep adjusting it , it helps if you can adjust and then ride the same road everytime so you get a good idea of what you are feeling
Thanks that's the direction I was headed in. I have backed off several clicks and it is not bouncy. Just wanted go be sure I was going right direction. It does ride very nice.

Old 08-19-2011 | 07:42 PM
darobertson
2nd Gear
Default Ohlins #6 Installed on SG

Oops; duplicate post.

Last edited by darobertson; 08-19-2011 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Duplicate Post
Old 08-19-2011 | 09:26 PM
darobertson
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Dr. Tiki
For the #6 folks, do you have pics of how the remote reservoirs were mounted?
Here you go.

Attached Thumbnails Ohlins #6 Installed on SG-img_2204.jpg  
Old 08-20-2011 | 06:55 AM
grbrown
Club Member

Originally Posted by 62hdbiker
Does Olin or Howard have anything to improve the front forks?
He's working on it! Namely Ohlins cartridge inserts inside our stock forks. They will require more than a simple bolt-on solution, because the tops of the fork tubes need to come through the top triple-tree. Howard's solution, last time he reported, is a replacement triple-tree, plus longer fork tubes. That will give us adjustable pre-load and damping, all from the top of each fork leg. There is an orderly queue forming.....

Turning to if Ohlins are worth the money, for those of you who have read Pirsig's book 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Mechanics', it is all down to quality. Howard offers three or four different 'grades' of shocks for touring bikes, with #2, #3 and #6 being in order of the quality of ride we can look forward to.

I'm sure Howard would love to persuade us all to accept that just because Ohlins are linked to circuit racing they really are good enough for an Electra Glide as well, suitable tuned! I couldn't afford #6s, but it was worth me buying my #3-3s and shipping them to the UK. They have taken us into Eastern Europe in the most remarkable comfort.

I haven't tried the #2 or #6, but I am certain the #3 are worth the expense. If you live a short distance away from Howard I suspect a ride on a set of #6 will be final proof that nothing less will do!

Last edited by grbrown; 08-20-2011 at 06:57 AM. Reason: Grammar!
Old 08-20-2011 | 07:16 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Cool

Originally Posted by MassHD
I ride the same way you do. My floorboard frames are all cut up. My issue is that I would like to get my wife to ride more with me. Under the current POS shocks she can't ride very far. Which shocks am I better off with?
I think I can give you a useful answer to your wife's comfort. In 2009 my wife and I did a 2,500 tour into Poland and back home to the UK, on a set of brand X shocks. About 2/3rds way round she was getting saddle sore, so we took short routes to each night's stop, to give her an easy time.

That was the last straw! My researches, mostly on HDF, took me to Howard and our #3-3s. In 2010 we did a similar trip. Mrs B reckoned, as our journey progressed, that we could ride further each day with no problems and, after we got home, that she would have been happy to carry on.

The ride is smoother and less tiring. We no longer bottom out on things like railway crossings, potholes, etc. I am now trying to improve her SuperLow, so she can be as comfortable as she is on the Glide!

Old 08-20-2011 | 09:10 AM
Dr. Tiki
Stellar HDF Member

Do you have to relocate the antennea or was yours already moved? Is there an alternate mounting spot for the reservoir?

Old 08-20-2011 | 10:32 AM
darobertson
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Dr. Tiki
Do you have to relocate the antennea or was yours already moved? Is there an alternate mounting spot for the reservoir?
Yes. I tried to find an alternate location on multiple occassions; but I couldn't really come up with anything creative that would be clean because of the hose. I thought about inverting the reservoir to hang below the rail; but the mouting bracket for the antennea was still in the way. In the end I just bought the relocation kit for $25 and went with what the ohlin instructions showed.

You might be able to get away with hanging them just below the rear saddlebag mounting bracket (just in front of the antennea bracket). Unfortunately, it wasn't something I could try because my shocks are laid down a couple of inches with the lowering kit and the needed room just wasn't there for me to feel comfortable. But if you would be mounting the shocks in the stock locations I would definitely give it a shot. I really liked the stock antennea location.

Old 08-20-2011 | 01:31 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member

Call Howard and ask, surprised he hasn't chimed in yet.

Originally Posted by darobertson
Yes. I tried to find an alternate location on multiple occassions; but I couldn't really come up with anything creative that would be clean because of the hose. I thought about inverting the reservoir to hang below the rail; but the mouting bracket for the antennea was still in the way. In the end I just bought the relocation kit for $25 and went with what the ohlin instructions showed.

You might be able to get away with hanging them just below the rear saddlebag mounting bracket (just in front of the antennea bracket). Unfortunately, it wasn't something I could try because my shocks are laid down a couple of inches with the lowering kit and the needed room just wasn't there for me to feel comfortable. But if you would be mounting the shocks in the stock locations I would definitely give it a shot. I really liked the stock antennea location.

Old 08-24-2011 | 04:04 PM
papifun
Outstanding HDF Member

any photos of the #6s used on a SG 2010 + ?

Old 08-24-2011 | 11:29 PM
darobertson
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by papifun
any photos of the #6s used on a SG 2010 + ?
Image attached earlier this same page. 2011 SG

Quick Reply: Ohlins #6 Installed on SG