Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ohlins #6 Installed on SG

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011 | 06:10 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by TheSinistral
By the way, I just noticed that the website was also updated, folks, and it is easier to tell what is what!

-Sin'
I only took advice from you guys and will get around to FXR, Sportster, Dyna page when I can. Thanks to all and special thanks to grbrown as I only did what he said. I did also add circles and arrows as well as bring up the Font and make them in Bold, and now we all can go back to many beers and 77 Virgins fanning you with grape leaves.

Originally Posted by grbrown
'Touring Ohlins' there are four versions that fit our bikes: #1 are the polished alloy ones; #2 the Emulsified ones (that means the oil and gas inside mix together); #3 the Separated ones (that means the oil and gas inside are kept separate = better); #6 have remote reservoirs (= even better!). All bar the #6 are available in different lengths, which is where the second number comes from - I have #3-3, which are close to stock length. #4 and #5 versions are for other models.

Old 07-26-2011 | 04:40 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Talking

Originally Posted by FastHarley
I only took advice from you guys and will get around to FXR, Sportster, Dyna page when I can. Thanks to all and special thanks to grbrown as I only did what he said. I did also add circles and arrows as well as bring up the Font and make them in Bold, and now we all can go back to many beers and 77 Virgins fanning you with grape leaves.
Howard,

Pushing forward the frontiers of website and suspension development! Or should that be the other way around?!

Old 07-26-2011 | 12:10 PM
Wildman9
Advanced

Originally Posted by qtrracer
Before guys get sticker shock, the #2 versions are outstanding. Ohlins emulsion shocks are excellent and there are very, very, very few guys out there that have the need or the skills(riding or shock tuning) for anything "better".
It really does depend on what you are looking for and how much you are willing to learn. I would love to have the 6's, but the 3-3's will have to do. I know I could achieve a superior ride with the 6's, but I understand how shocks work and what the adjustments are doing. I did allot of research and there is no other shock on the market that comes close to ohlins, and no other supplier takes the time to educate you and build a shock to your application for the price Howard does. Period.

Old 07-26-2011 | 12:35 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Wink

Ohlins emulsion shocks are excellent and there are very, very, very few guys out there that have the need or the skills(riding or shock tuning) for anything "better".
BMWs come on Ohlins. A new Ultra costs as much as the new 6-cylinder BMW. We all deserve shocks at least as good as that BMW, whether we like them or not!

Old 07-26-2011 | 01:08 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member

I have 36e's(#2) on my bike and I ride it like a sport tourer, mostly solo, the only thing I wish I had that the 36d's(#3) have is the threaded body for the more precise(and easier) preload adjustment but I wanted the extra ride height the E's had and the lower price was a bonus. Howard does a very good job at his valving and I am happy with that, however some may want to fiddle with it so the D's will likely satisfy those with that want. I was exposed to Ohlins in 1979 when I raced a Husky CR390 and was amazed at the upgrade over what shocks I ran before and what I ran before were the best in the business(or so I was told) Fox Air Shox and the Ohlins blew them away. I have ridden and raced Works Perf, S&W(Progressive Suspension) Fox, Showa, Kayaba, Koni, Boge, Girling,(and other brands that I have forgotten) and many custom valved versions of OEM shocks that were done by "experts". Ohlins are the best I have ridden and I have ridden the remotes and the piggybacks Ohlins as well and they all work very very well.

Old 08-19-2011 | 02:12 AM
darobertson
2nd Gear

Ordered up a pair of #6's from Howard about a week and half ago and received them today. Installed them on an '11 SG in less than an hour; very straight forward no curves. I'm 5'4" so I dropped them a couple of inches with a lowering kit from Road 6 Customs. I had previsouly used this lowering kit with some progressive 940's. I clearanced the lowering kit to work with the 940's after talking with Seth (owner of Road 6 Customs) and luckily the #6's just bolted right in their place.

Spent the next few hours riding around solo and then two up. Tunability is amazing; was able to easily dial them in for a firm compliant ride that the girlfriend noticed within half a block of the driveway. She's ridden with me to Laughlin twice all the way from Houston on my '94 Heritage with stock suspension and never had a problem. We both hated the '11 SG stock suspension within an hour. Immediately upgraded to monotubes & 940's. I found the forks to be harsh and untunable after playing with the pre-load spacers. Front end dive was gone; only positive things I can say about them. Shocks were equally harsh and tuneability was neglible. We are both fairly light riders (165/115) so this may play into our experience. Progressive said they could do nothing to help my issues with the monotubes; but did provide me and RMA for lighter springs (was only getting .5" of sag). Sent them off and changed my mind two hours later. I knew I would never be happy without a solution that offered a superior ride and simple adjustablility. Enter Howard. Problem solved; my past positive experiences with Ohlin race shocks probably had a lot to do with my decision. Seeing all the love for Howard and his products did the rest.

The #6 offer a no compromise solution for the considerable price; but no matter how you go with an Ohlin product you are unlikely to go wrong. Thanks for everything Howard. Hope to visit with you in in Florida in a few weeks and talk about those new fork cartridges. Heading to Cripple Creek this weekend; can't wait to break these babies in.

Old 08-19-2011 | 08:03 AM
MassHD
Road Warrior

I have 36e's(#2) on my bike and I ride it like a sport tourer, mostly solo, the only thing I wish I had that the 36d's(#3) have is the threaded body for the more precise(and easier) preload adjustment but I wanted the extra ride height the E's had and the lower price was a bonus. Howard does a very good job at his valving and I am happy with that, however some may want to fiddle with it so the D's will likely satisfy those with that want. I was exposed to Ohlins in 1979 when I raced a Husky CR390 and was amazed at the upgrade over what shocks I ran before and what I ran before were the best in the business(or so I was told) Fox Air Shox and the Ohlins blew them away. I have ridden and raced Works Perf, S&W(Progressive Suspension) Fox, Showa, Kayaba, Koni, Boge, Girling,(and other brands that I have forgotten) and many custom valved versions of OEM shocks that were done by "experts". Ohlins are the best I have ridden and I have ridden the remotes and the piggybacks Ohlins as well and they all work very very well.
I ride the same way you do. My floorboard frames are all cut up. My issue is that I would like to get my wife to ride more with me. Under the current POS shocks she can't ride very far. Which shocks am I better off with?

Old 08-19-2011 | 09:15 AM
Dr. Tiki
Stellar HDF Member

For the #6 folks, do you have pics of how the remote reservoirs were mounted?

Old 08-19-2011 | 09:38 AM
pug3984
Cruiser

This is for someone that has bought the #6 can you please PM me about what they cost? I was wanting the #2-#2B and they are out of stock and after talking to Howard I decided the #3-#3 would be better for me and I found out they was out until the end of Sept. So I just wondering how much the #6 are?

Old 08-19-2011 | 10:14 AM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by pug3984
This is for someone that has bought the #6 can you please PM me about what they cost? I was wanting the #2-#2B and they are out of stock and after talking to Howard I decided the #3-#3 would be better for me and I found out they was out until the end of Sept. So I just wondering how much the #6 are?
You should just ask Howard.

Dennis

Quick Reply: Ohlins #6 Installed on SG