Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 Ultra Cruise issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011 | 03:01 PM
serverpimp
|
Cruiser
Default 07 Ultra Cruise issue

Symptom: cruise light comes on in tach as orange but when you hit the set button nothing happens.
Just happens that I changed out the battery just before I realized I had an issue. Could it be battery related?

Here is what I have checked:
-Ohm'd out switch all the way to the cruise module under the left side cover. Set & Resume appear to be working correctly. My neighbor is an electrical engineer so we checked the connectivity and made sure 12v was coming through.
-Throttle cable by the throttle body seems to have about a 1/2" play. Tried to run the "cable lash initialization" process on pg 8-105 of service manual but didn't work. Thought maybe the battery replacement made this necessary to run through this initialization.

What am I missing?
Is it the cruise module under the left side cover? I'm guessing it's very expensive.
Why isn't the cable lash initialization working?

Thanks

Old 06-26-2011 | 03:34 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member

Brake light switch? Is your brake light working?

Old 06-26-2011 | 04:09 PM
jimclaypool
Tourer

Try disconnecting one of the wires to the throttle cable stop switch on right side of the steering neck and see if it sets then. If so, the stop switch is bad. Not a big deal, as I like my cruise better without the stop switch anyway. Mine just went bad on my 07 Ultra. Getting it replaced under the extended warranty, but I will probably just leave it disconnected!!

Old 06-26-2011 | 06:54 PM
serverpimp
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by stro1965
Brake light switch? Is your brake light working?
Yes, the brake light is working and the fuse supporting the brake light and cruise is good.

Old 06-26-2011 | 06:56 PM
serverpimp
|
Cruiser

What is the stop switch? I did see in the service manual a reference to a roll off switch but didn't see any reference to it outside of the the wire schematics.

Old 06-26-2011 | 06:57 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member

Clutch interlock switch?

Old 06-26-2011 | 07:08 PM
jimclaypool
Tourer

Originally Posted by serverpimp
What is the stop switch? I did see in the service manual a reference to a roll off switch but didn't see any reference to it outside of the the wire schematics.
Yes it is the "roll off" switch in the idle throttle cable. It is what turns the cruise off when you manually "roll off" the throttle. The switch is located on the cable on the right side of the front steering neck with two wires connected to it. Just disconnect one of the wires and try your cruise then.

Old 06-27-2011 | 06:03 AM
serverpimp
|
Cruiser

Thanks Jim. I will give that a try tonight.

Old 06-27-2011 | 06:17 AM
mech8251
Tourer

Chances are that it is the Roll Off switch causing your problem.

Old 06-27-2011 | 06:41 PM
serverpimp
|
Cruiser

Well I shook something just right on my triage efforts because now it is working without any parts replacement. Besides what I thought was a failed "Lash Initialization" process I didn't do anything except disconnect connectors to ohm them out.

Oh well, I learned a bit or two on how the bike is put together which is always a good thing. Thanks for the help everyone.

Quick Reply: 07 Ultra Cruise issue