Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Gone after 450 miles

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 06:13 PM
dougbk
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Unhappy Clutch Gone after 450 miles

The clutch on momma's tri-glide went out at 450 miles. We were riding home from work the other day and she was behind me in slow traffic on a hill when I heard her rpms were much higher than they should have been, so I yelled at her to let out the clutch and she yelled back that it was. When we got to the next hill it quit pulling, so I had to adjust the clutch on the side of the road with a narrow shoulder, not alot of fun. The clutch was not great but it was holding again, the next big hill and it quit again. I tried to adjust it again and nothing, had to have it towed.

When she talked to the service writer he said that it would probably not be covered by the warranty as they consider clutches to be a wear item. I was shocked that he would say that with only 450 miles on the bike. There is no way a clutch should go that quick, even if she was slipping the clutch too much due to not being used to it. I have seen what a clutch will go through during a two week police motor school, where the fluid smelled like burnt wood and it could still be adjusted to hold.

Anybody have anything similar?

Old 06-25-2011, 08:24 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts

This would be my guess.
The clutch cable stretches quite a bit when new. Adjusting the cable hot is not preferable but doable if you know what your doing.
I'd adjust everything again cold and see what happens. If that doesn't work it should be a warranty issue. Yes it is a wear item but not at 450 miles.

Old 06-25-2011, 10:25 PM
KoalaCowboy
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@450 miles brand new? Service Writer = EPIC FAIL!

I would suggest you speak to the GM of the dealership and get his thoughts (ie, "hey, wife's clutch went out the other day riding home...only have 450 miles on the trike. Thoughts??").

Something didn't pass QC...

Good luck.

Old 06-26-2011, 03:46 PM
dougbk
Road Master

I understand that adjusting one while hot is not the best, but I went a full turn out and it still would not catch. I know how to adjust one when cold or warm, as I have been doing my own wrenching for 20+ years, smoking hot is a different story. I considered adjusting it while it was cold, but thought that it was total bs to have to do that on a brand new bike; believing the dealer should take care of it.

Last edited by dougbk; 06-26-2011 at 03:49 PM. Reason: add content
Old 06-26-2011, 05:49 PM
Roadie09
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It might be something simple like a defective/broken clutch spring. I would think that with that few miles, the dealership would at least be interested in taking a look for broken parts. If the plates are the only thing worn, they probably would not cover it.

Old 06-26-2011, 06:15 PM
asm481
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Is this your wife's first bike? Does she "cover" the clutch? The way they are adjusted it wouldn't take much to be slippin a clutch just by covering like I have seen some do. Still 450 is pretty quick.

Old 06-26-2011, 06:34 PM
dougbk
Road Master

Originally Posted by asm481
Is this your wife's first bike? Does she "cover" the clutch? The way they are adjusted it wouldn't take much to be slippin a clutch just by covering like I have seen some do. Still 450 is pretty quick.
She had a couple before but it has been awhile since she has ridden. I took her to a parking lot and had her ride over a 2x4 a few times to make sure she knew where the gray zone was on it. I don't think she is covering the clutch, but I was in front of her, she said she wasn't. I think even if she was covering it I wouldn't think that 450 miles would be enough to trash a clutch especially since 250 of it was riding on a US highway or interstate coming back to St Louis from Kansas City.

I know the abuse that a clutch in a police training motor can withstand and don't see how this could be normal wear.

Old 06-26-2011, 06:38 PM
dyna105
Road Master
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Mine was slipping at 400 miles. Called to have dealer to check they all recommended to wait for until the 1000 mile service. I said BS, it would slip in 3rd gear when you would get on the throttle. At that time the bike had never been ran hard. The first remark they made was I doing burnouts.

Had to go out of state to a training class near the dealer I bought it from. Called them and said I would drop it off late Tue. and pick it up Fri afternoon. When they was writing it up and got the mileage they said if they knew that it only had 400 miles they would have said to wait till 1000. I told them to go ahead and check it out, I would pay for 1hr only if it was not covered.

They road tested and also found the clutch slipping when you rolled on it in 3rd gear.When picking it up the mechanic that worked on it said the adjustment was out. The cable adjustment was fine the whole time.

Old 06-26-2011, 08:24 PM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what are you using in the primary?

Old 06-26-2011, 08:50 PM
dougbk
Road Master

Originally Posted by speakerfritz
what are you using in the primary?
Since it is brand new I assume it is HD trans/primary plus. I normally use mobil 1 v twin 20-50 in the primary and redline heavy shock in trannys.

Quick Reply: Clutch Gone after 450 miles