Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Gone after 450 miles

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 08:48 AM
vtwinbob
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow only 450 miles? that's not right at all, sounds to me like somebody was asleep on the assembly line and left out a plate.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:35 PM
dougbk
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

The MoCo did the right thing and covered the clutch on the warranty. The discs were fried and some were missing fiber sections. The Misses says the clutch feels completely different than it did from the beginning. Sounds like it was probably slipping from the factory. All is good in the hood again.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:47 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts

Great! Glad it worked out for you and the misses.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:25 PM
Dynamohm
Road Warrior
Received 762 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by dougbk
The MoCo did the right thing and covered the clutch on the warranty. The discs were fried and some were missing fiber sections. The Misses says the clutch feels completely different than it did from the beginning. Sounds like it was probably slipping from the factory. All is good in the hood again.
First off, I will probably get slammed for this statement. Defects in clutch material from the factory is improbable. All the other clutches from the same build time have not had a problem yet as we can presume. The only thing that can fry a clutch is rider error or the clutch adjustment does not have enough freeplay. The OP stated they were riding in traffic. In that situation it is very easy to over heat a clutch, once a clutch gets too hot it doesn't matter what it's made of or what type of oil it has in the primary. The fiber plates will disintegrate. As they wear the free play on the cable gets tighter compounding the problem. I am glad for the OP that the dealer took care of the problem. They most likely did it as a goodwill to the customer. Just a reminder to the OP always make sure your clutch cable has some freeplay in it, and do not ride the clutch in traffic. Again please don't take this the wrong way. But in 40 years of the car and cycle service end of things, I have seen everything you can think of .

Old 07-01-2011, 03:56 AM
dougbk
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Dynamohm
First off, I will probably get slammed for this statement. Defects in clutch material from the factory is improbable. All the other clutches from the same build time have not had a problem yet as we can presume. The only thing that can fry a clutch is rider error or the clutch adjustment does not have enough freeplay. The OP stated they were riding in traffic. In that situation it is very easy to over heat a clutch, once a clutch gets too hot it doesn't matter what it's made of or what type of oil it has in the primary. The fiber plates will disintegrate. As they wear the free play on the cable gets tighter compounding the problem. I am glad for the OP that the dealer took care of the problem. They most likely did it as a goodwill to the customer. Just a reminder to the OP always make sure your clutch cable has some freeplay in it, and do not ride the clutch in traffic. Again please don't take this the wrong way. But in 40 years of the car and cycle service end of things, I have seen everything you can think of .
No slam going to come from me. I do not disagree with you, I know there was some rider error on her part, but I fully believe that the clutch had to be out of adjustment from the factory. I think a combination of a newer rider, unfamiliar bike and factory set up killed that clutch. I found out that the internal adjustment is not a point of inspection during set up, only the cable. I know how tough a harley clutch is and what I saw should not have come close to frying one.

Old 07-01-2011, 04:38 AM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 616 Likes on 332 Posts

It is nice to hear that they ended up doing the right thing..Hope she enjoys the ride...

Old 07-01-2011, 06:49 AM
SBW Cycles
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This happened to me on my 05 FXSTS. I installed an easy pull clutch kit from H-D and it worked good for about 300 miles. My clutch went out of adjustment during a 90 miles ride. I fixed with a 1/2 inch wrecnch and vice grips. I went out last Sunday and the same thing happened. Clutch went out of adjustment. Trailered it home on my uncle's landscaping trailer without a wheel chock! Talk about sweating it out on the way home. Lckily I was only 8 miles for home.

I tore the clutch and primary all apart. Ball and ramps and clutch cable werre good. I wasn't getting any pressure on the clutch sring. I swapped it back in for the stock one (yellow dot) and works good. My clutch is a little tougher to pull in but as long as it works I'mhappy.