Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions of headers to reduce heat?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 04:32 PM
pshaw09
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Opinions of headers to reduce heat?

Hi All, I have an 09 Streetglide with the stock headers. I want to change them out because they are cooking my legs and the passenger on the right side. I have looked at V&H dresser duals, power duals, and BUB true duals. Does anyone have an opinion on whats the best option in turns of rerouting the heat?
Thanks

Old 06-25-2011, 05:01 PM
photomandallas
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cool the heat with !

FULLSAC - ceramic coated headers worked for me. I have a 2010 Ultra Classic and tatooed my right calf the size of a silver dollar(if you know what that is) switched to the FULLSAC and added V & H Slash Cut Pipes with a stage 1, and had it Dyno tuned. Could not be any happier. Took out 85-92% of the heat!

Old 06-25-2011, 05:12 PM
JRBass
Road Captain

Yes the ceramic may help a little bit but your 09 doesn't have a cat in it so I would say changing the head pipe is not your problem. Fuel management is. Unless you have done a stage 1 AC and some sort of tuner to richen the factory lean condition I don't think you are going to reduce heat by any noticeable amount.

Old 06-25-2011, 05:22 PM
Tek74
Tourer

+1.....ceramic headers (Fullsac, Jackpot, etc.) will help reduce heat a bit, but if you already have catless headers, I would recommend a fuel management system along with aftermarket slipons and a/c. A properly tuned Stage 1 should not run hot. My 2011 RGC came with a cat in the headpipe, so I had to gut it or get new headers. I chose V&H True Duals. With my full Stage 1, me and the wife don't notice bad engine heat anymore, and we've ridden up to 90 deg.

Old 06-25-2011, 05:47 PM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 616 Likes on 332 Posts

You do need a tuner it will help you out very much,all of the above info is right on..Something else that will help you out and make riding your bike comfortable in the heat is a crotch cooler..We are a sponsor here and yes we are the people that make them..If you do a search on here or Google you will find a lot of very satisfied customers about our products and customer service..Also please visit our website..Thank you.

Old 06-25-2011, 06:14 PM
assaultthesalt
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain Itch
You do need a tuner it will help you out very much,all of the above info is right on..Something else that will help you out and make riding your bike comfortable in the heat is a crotch cooler..We are a sponsor here and yes we are the people that make them..If you do a search on here or Google you will find a lot of very satisfied customers about our products and customer service..Also please visit our website..Thank you.
X2 !!! I have had my crotch cooler on for 2 weeks and wish I would have gotten one sooner from Capt Itch.It helps tremendously down here w/ the Texas heat.I also recomend a good 2 into 1 pipe w/ a tuner....plus the crotch cooler from Itch Oh, by the way....I love the performance and sound of my Thunderheader .

Old 06-25-2011, 06:25 PM
fmlawn
Cruiser
Received 60 Likes on 28 Posts

heat problems are tough ,I change cams ,lg intake valves,d$d fatcat, more hp,better mpg, better air flow threw eng, less heat