Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[b]HELP! DEALER Just scared the crap out of my wife![/b]

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011 | 12:32 PM
Twrguy
|
Cruiser
Exclamation HELP! DEALER Just scared the crap out of my wife!

Went to Palm Beach this morning to try a different dealer. While at the parts counter with my wife I asked about their dyno-tuning. The guy said they would not work on a bike with any kind of aftermarket tuner on it. The other guy at the counter said as soon as I flash my ECM with an aftermarket tuner my Factory Warranty will be void. My wife is now freaking out!! I have already ordered Power Vision and she does not believe me, that what they said is just not true. PLEASE,.. anyone familiar with this issue, if you could explain why this is not the case....coming from anyone but ME, would be extremely helpful
Thanks!

Last edited by Twrguy; 06-25-2011 at 12:37 PM. Reason: remove BB
Old 06-25-2011 | 12:39 PM
Lawdawg
Road Warrior

Lets say something is wrong with your bearings in your front rim and you take it in for warranty work, the dealership would have to prove that the Power Vision caused the problem in your bearings. They are simply blowing smoke and are wrong, there is federal law about this Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act covers you. Tell your wife not to worry.

As soon as you can find an independent mechanic to take your bike to, I only used the dealership for warranty work and I didn't even like to do that.

Old 06-25-2011 | 12:41 PM
SICKBAGGER
Road Master

If she believes that she probably believes it when the stealers say "Thats normal"!

Old 06-25-2011 | 12:45 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member

It will not void your warranty. However if you blow your motor up, good luck proving it wasn't the tuner. Even if the tuner was not the culprit, they would fight all motor warranty claims. The rest of the bike however they can not argue about

Old 06-25-2011 | 12:49 PM
VTGlideRider
Road Master

Tell the Mrs. to take a look at something called the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act if she doesn't believe you. Basically what it says is no manufacturer has the right to deny a warranty claim simply because you have aftermarket parts, unless the aftermarket part actually caused the malfunction. The dealer does not have the legal right to say you no longer have a factory warranty because you used an aftermarket tuner. I would, however, not be dealing with that dealer simply based on their attitude.

If you're that nervous about it, get something like a Power Commander V instead of the Power Vision, as it does not flash your ECM. If you need to go for warranty service you can then simply take it out before you go to the dealer.

Old 06-25-2011 | 12:57 PM
Twrguy
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by VTGlideRider
Tell the Mrs. to take a look at something called the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act if she doesn't believe you. Basically what it says is no manufacturer has the right to deny a warranty claim simply because you have aftermarket parts, unless the aftermarket part actually caused the malfunction. The dealer does not have the legal right to say you no longer have a factory warranty because you used an aftermarket tuner. I would, however, not be dealing with that dealer simply based on their attitude.

If you're that nervous about it, get something like a Power Commander V instead of the Power Vision, as it does not flash your ECM. If you need to go for warranty service you can then simply take it out before you go to the dealer.
Thanks, VT
The PVision actually saves the stock settings so you can flash the ECM back to stock if needed. She is just freakin because the "Harley people said the warranty would be void" !

Old 06-25-2011 | 12:57 PM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior

there is federal law about this Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act covers you
incorrect in regards to modifications that deviate from factory spec. The act simply states that a manufacturer can not mandate the use of OEM parts or services that are not provided for free. So you can use non OEM oil as long as it meets the spec of weight. You can use non oem brake pads as long as they are equiv pads. But you can not change the design of a vehicle boosting it's horsepower, changing it's EPA rating, etc, and expect to get protection from the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act .

Old 06-25-2011 | 01:04 PM
Twrguy
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by speakerfritz
incorrect in regards to modifications that deviate from factory spec. The act simply states that a manufacturer can not mandate the use of OEM parts or services that are not provided for free. So you can use non OEM oil as long as it meets the spec of weight. You can use non oem brake pads as long as they are equiv pads. But you can not change the design of a vehicle boosting it's horsepower, changing it's EPA rating, etc, and expect to get protection from the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act .
I see your point. However, changing values in the ECM is something they would do with a SERT. Why then, would the warranty be void if I do the same thing myself just using a different tool?? I am allowed to improve performance (change ECM values) with SERT and nothing else?? Seems to me MMWA covers exactly that. (might get expensive to argue the point in court though)

Old 06-25-2011 | 01:13 PM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior

quote from [Revis] on another forum...who put things into perspective pretty well.

"

Here's the thing. Are any of you attorneys? If no then you are going to have to hire an attorney and head to court to make any of this "burden of proof" worth anything more than words. So in essence it's completely worthless. By the time you hit the court, you are going to be into your attorney for a couple of grand, and then you'll likely be facing court costs. Then when the judge reviews your claim and asks you point blank if you're running a NON DOT approved and illegal exhaust system/intake/turbo etc on the streets in violation of federal and local laws what then? When he/she insinuates that when an OEM states very clearly that modifications will invalidate warranty that they mean it, what then?

You going to go to the Supreme Court? You going to call the AMA? What? It's a crock of poo.

Remember it's NOT the Dealership you'll be wrestling with, no it will be the OEM. Suzuki America, Honda NA, etc... Can they or should they invalidate your entire warranty? No, but they can sure as hell argue a case for engine failure as the result of improper tuning/crappy exhaust tuning, or heaven help you backyard exhaust tuning.

As a consumer it's important to keep your head and remember that as an individual we are not nearly as important as we like to think. Not to the company, not to the dealership, not to the after market, nor the courts.

And

Never forget that ALL of our lovely bolt on cans, full systems, and power commanders are illegal modifications. It provides all the manufacturers and easy out. You try to claim that this Scorpion exhaust killed your valves, they say "hey, it's race use only not designed for the streets"...

Old 06-25-2011 | 01:23 PM
ezriderpgh
Outstanding HDF Member

If a failure is related to an owner modification the failure is not covered under warranty, simple as that.

Quick Reply: [b]HELP! DEALER Just scared the crap out of my wife![/b]