Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brightasslights

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 12:57 PM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team

Received 743 Likes on 511 Posts

All this talk about how bright they are is giving me a woody

I'd like to think it will detach peoples retina's from their eyes

Now I just have to figure out how to shoot laser beams out of my spot lights

Old 07-01-2011, 12:57 PM
luisan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 144 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by don g
I put BAL on my RK this year also and I feel much more comfortable knowing people see me much better from behind. It's hard to believe that it hurts your eyes when you look into them. If only there was something for the animals running out in front of you.
Beretta!

Old 07-01-2011, 01:02 PM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I went to Whiskey River Harley Davidson grand opening last weekend and Kuryakyn had an LED tail light and turn signal display. WOW! I was very impressed how bright it was.

Old 07-01-2011, 01:57 PM
JollyRogers
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Local dealer won't carry them because they aren't DOT.. LOL. They have a DOT setting for sure. I have been running the same one for two years and never stopped. I actually had a LEO ask me where I got the tail light, because he wanted one for his bike. If LEO stopped me for this, they would get me for my pipes and my defunct DOT helmet I am sure. I'll take the chance cause most people notice me now and stay off my a$$ when I touch a brake pedal.

Old 07-01-2011, 06:07 PM
Rhetor
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Unscientific Poll: "Use the Security Screws or Not?"

UPS just showed up with my BAL-3ST! And the security screws . . . yes, I bought them . . . but not sure really if I should use them . . .

Quick, unscientific poll . . . "Should I or should I not install the security screws?"

Legal or not, this bad boy is going on my scoot tonight . . . was on the highway and was tailgaited or "light-gated) by a dipstick in a pickup for 20 miles . . . .

The only question for me is whether or not to use the security screws?

Old 07-01-2011, 06:16 PM
bucket772
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Rhetor
UPS just showed up with my BAL-3ST! And the security screws . . . yes, I bought them . . . but not sure really if I should use them . . .

Quick, unscientific poll . . . "Should I or should I not install the security screws?"

Legal or not, this bad boy is going on my scoot tonight . . . was on the highway and was tailgaited or "light-gated) by a dipstick in a pickup for 20 miles . . . .

The only question for me is whether or not to use the security screws?
Why wouldn't you? I't only gonna keep the honest people from stealing it. If they really want it then they are gonna take it regardless if you have security screws or a security guard.

Old 07-01-2011, 06:19 PM
bucket772
Cruiser

Originally Posted by HighLiner
I know you set the flash settings with a magnet but is that how the intensity is set also? Was on the bike when I bought it so I don't know much about it.
You set the running intensity by applying the magnet WITHOUT the brakes applied. You set the brake patterns by applying the magnet WITH the brakes applied. You can probably go online and find the pattern list. You can also go backwards in the patterns by holding the magnet on longer.

Last edited by bucket772; 07-01-2011 at 06:27 PM.
Old 07-01-2011, 06:26 PM
bucket772
Cruiser

Originally Posted by RaceFace
I have mine on the original intensity setting. I've been afraid to go any higher. I don't want to attract Johnny Law
I doubt that it would attract in a negative way. Besides what is DOT compliant and how would it get measured on the side of the road? I would say state inspection is about the only time that you would need to be worried. Personally I would never bother anyone for being MORE visible. It's less paperwork for you to be seen by a cager/texter then it is for them to gasshole you from behind. For what it's worth mine is on either medium or full bright in running mode and like the 8 full bright flash and full steady on for braking. Not to mention the H-D smoked LED signals in Run-turn-brake mode. A fellow rider saw that combo and that but him over the fence in regards to buying the signals. He said there was plenty of contrast between the signals and BAL due to the signals going from full-of to full-bright while in signal mode. He said he had no problem telling from any distance what signal was on.

Old 07-02-2011, 11:01 AM
Rhetor
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just installed the BAL-3ST . . . looks great, functions great, easy install . . . and now I feel better that I can be seen in the daylight when braking! That is the point . . . safety! But, the smoked lens looks great too . . . I like the smoked laydown look of the BAL-3ST. (Matches all of the other smoke lenses on the scoot.) Also just added the HD run-turn-brake module and Kury red rear turn bulbs . . .

I did use the security screws . . . if you go with them, be careful . . . easy to strip out the tiny holes on the screw heads when tightening . . . not sure how much security it really adds . . . yeah, people who are normally honest would be discouraged from even trying in that moment when the dark side pipes up . . . honest folk would never try . . . but, somebody who is looking for a BAL to steal specifically, well, they will bring there own BAL security screw head . . . and, chances are, the pros and cons are looking to steal better stuff than a tail light.

You might want to save the 10 bucks on the security screws . . . I had 'em so I put 'em on.

Thanks, BigDaddyMike for the tip . . . Kevin hooked me up with a great discount too . . . shipped it same day . . . Kevin provided great service on the purchase.

In all, a great safety investment that looks good (well, better than the large red stock 03 SERK tail light) too.

So, now, I am looking for a parade so I can use that magnet and flash the daylights out of it! :-)

Last edited by Rhetor; 07-02-2011 at 11:08 AM.
Old 07-02-2011, 11:41 AM
rklew
Cruiser

I have the BAL 3ST, I don't think the running intensity setting makes the brake intensity any brighter, just the running light. I could be wrong, but I think the brake intensity is at its max all the time.

Quick Reply: Brightasslights