Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brightasslights

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 11:42 AM
pargenz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a BAL-3ST on my Glide. It has a smoked, slanted lens. I find it aesthetically more pleasing than having a red lens. The running light is very noticeably red, and the brake light illumination is, well, very brightly red.

I replaced all four of my turn signal lenses. Gone are the stock orange, replaced with smoked lenses I got from Walter's Workshop. Then I went to Auto Zone and got a couple of amber bulbs for the front and a couple of red bulbs for the rear. Eventually I'll convert the four signals to LEDs.

Old 06-29-2011, 12:06 PM
Rhetor
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks all . . . just ordered the BAL-3ST and the security screws . . . picking of the run-brake-turn module locally here in a few minutes.

I know I can get the 1156 turn signal bulbs in red at local parts place . . . but, I am trying to find a clear rear turn signal bulb that turns red . . . without changing to LEDs . . . or adding a load equalizer.

Anybody know of a source for a clear rear turn signal bulbs that turns red?

(I am staying with the smoked turn lenses.)

Old 06-30-2011, 10:09 PM
Rhetor
Cruiser

UPDATE: Got the HD run-brake-turn module and tow red Kury bulbs on . . . looks great, and the brightasslight hasn't arrived yet . . . looking forward to getting it from UPS and getting it on tomorrow!

Old 06-30-2011, 11:35 PM
HarleyRanger
Outstanding HDF Member

Installed the $400+ BAL-2 light on the back of my Ultra Classic.
It is unbelievably bright. Pretty much unless you are riding in Las Vegas like I am, all that extra light compared to the BAL-1 is unnecessary and serious overkill....

Old 07-01-2011, 05:01 AM
danzio
Stellar HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 305 Posts

Are these 50 state legal? The BAL website claims "SAE/DOT compliant modes". That tells me that in order to get the effectiveness that many of you are reporting, you may not be running them in their "compliant" mode. If they are so effective at alerting traffic behind you I would expect that if they are not compliant then many of you would have been cited already.

Old 07-01-2011, 06:40 AM
devious56
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It could be my imagination, but since installing my BAL-1 it seems that most traffic gives me more room off the read of the bike. At a light it seems that most cars stay about 20 feet back. I do run it on the second level of brightness, not DOT compliant, and I just don't have the nerve to run it on the bightest setting, it's just too bright.

And please, no flames, that's just my opinion.

David

Old 07-01-2011, 06:58 AM
K Melancon
Road Warrior
Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

You can make it 50 state legal in 5 seconds with the magnet. You can make it various paterns of pulse then brake at a legal level, there is a variety of different configurations to suit your tast with a total of approx. 23 brake patterns, an 3 run brightness.
I am running mine at 3% brighter at run, 7 quick strobes and steady very bright at brake. So when I'm looking in my mirrors and see some jack flying up behind me I pump my brakes just enough to light the brake lights several times, they probably think its a police car or bike ahead and sure slow down and keep off you. I have never been stopped by the police for a this tail light, I think they understand you have it for your safety and its better than working a an accident. I think this has been my best investment on the bike.

Also I have been riding Goldwings or a long time. The back of those things are lighted up like a 2 Christmas Trees. Cars would stay back. The first thing I noticed when I got the H-D is that the cars would zoom right up on my axx before slowing down, or would follow scarry close. This didn't happen on the GW. I was originally going to hook up a TIR3 light to my brake light but I saw the BAL-1 at the dealer and read post on here I was sold. Don't think about it just do it, the best $200 you will spend on the bike.

Last edited by K Melancon; 07-01-2011 at 08:01 AM.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:41 AM
HarleyRanger
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by danzio
Are these 50 state legal? The BAL website claims "SAE/DOT compliant modes". That tells me that in order to get the effectiveness that many of you are reporting, you may not be running them in their "compliant" mode. If they are so effective at alerting traffic behind you I would expect that if they are not compliant then many of you would have been cited already.
That was one of the concerns I had before purchasing my BAL-2. The medium brightness setting for the running lights and several quick pulses before going steady in the brake mode is what I do. Very effective and not so obnoxious to be pulled over by Police.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:42 AM
pargenz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by danzio
What they are referring to with this statement isn't the 3 available brightness settings, but the multitude of flash patterns. There are many 'parade mode' patterns that aren't compliant. With these modes the light is just running through a flash pattern continuously, sorta like you are in some weird parade.

My BAL-3ST is set to the brightest setting using the DOT-compliant flash pattern of two quick pulses and then steady brake light.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:33 PM
FLUltrarider
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had one for a couple of years now. It's pretty effective. I have it set to blink then go solid. If I have someone following me a little too close the first time I hit the brake they seem to back right up.

Quick Reply: Brightasslights