Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Angled valve stem issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 09:26 AM
shooter5074
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: Western Illinois, land of bad roads, and corrupt politicians
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Astro
I have an '07 Ultra Classic with stock,factory whels.. Yesterday I had a new tire installed. I had ordered a set of these angled valve stems (www.motorcycleanchor.com) to help with access to tire pressure. I left the bike to have the new rear tire installed and gave them the valve stem to install while the tire was off. When I pick the bike up they hand me the valve stem and tell me they did not install it because it will not seal against the wheel correctly. He said they have tried them before and there is just enough curvature that the stem will not seal.
Has anybody else had any experience with these?
I purchased these based upon other threads I had read and sure don't remember reading that the wheel needed any modification for these.

Thanks!
Don

Time to find someone else to work on your bike.

My guess..... they forgot to install them, and didn't want to bother breaking down your wheel again.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:47 AM
Astro
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After these responses and my previous research I think they just screwed up.
I was/am particularly upset that I was in the building waiting while they did the work.
They didn't bother to come tell me or show me there was an issue while the bike was apart. They call me up to the counter saying my bike was ready. And oh by the way here is your stem back we couldn't use it.
Very suspicious at the least. Guess I will see what I can do to get it installed.

Thanks everyone!

Old 11-05-2011, 03:37 PM
skyking435
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the nine spoke chrome wheels on my '06 Ultra....has anyone installed kurveygirl stems on these wheels?

Old 11-05-2011, 03:54 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,530 Likes on 1,425 Posts

I've heard of several of these working out just fine. You could install them yourself - bike on the lift, deflate the tires, "pinch" the beads loose at the stems, remove old ones, install new ones, check out youtube videos on seating with starting fluid and a lighter. Impress your buddies - seat both at once! Be da Man!!!

Old 11-05-2011, 04:08 PM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Astro
I have an '07 Ultra Classic with stock,factory whels.. Yesterday I had a new tire installed. I had ordered a set of these angled valve stems (www.motorcycleanchor.com) to help with access to tire pressure. I left the bike to have the new rear tire installed and gave them the valve stem to install while the tire was off. When I pick the bike up they hand me the valve stem and tell me they did not install it because it will not seal against the wheel correctly. He said they have tried them before and there is just enough curvature that the stem will not seal.
Has anybody else had any experience with these?
I purchased these based upon other threads I had read and sure don't remember reading that the wheel needed any modification for these.

Thanks!
Don
Got these eaxct ones installed on my Ultra and had no problem with the stem sealing and have 5,000+ Miles on the Tires when the stems were installed without losing a tad of air .. Think someone may have done it incorrectly or possibly for the wrong application and they just refuse to try them again ..

Figure Pictures Speak louder than words even made a post about recommending these on another Forum ..

Old 11-05-2011, 04:13 PM
mike5380
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hoethree
I have these also sitting in the tool box waiting for new tires to be installed shortly.

Do you suppose just maybe they (dealer) FORGOT to install them and this is their
bs way out of it?

This was my first thought also. It looks like you have more than a few second opinions and testimonials from the replies here. I know that my dealer actually stocks these angled stems and will ask you if you prefer them when you have a tire change. I opted not to put them in, but have kicked myself for that every time I check pressures.

Mike

Old 11-05-2011, 05:15 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

I wonder if Cycle Gear would put a set on when the mount tires, it could be a liability thing which they shoulda just said so instead of trying to BS you. I don't recall if the OP siad this was an Indy or a stealership?

Old 11-05-2011, 05:29 PM
gmurdock
Tourer

I have them one my 09 street glide. Works great. I installed them myself when I got new tires. Have the standard black wheels. Had them for about 6 months on rear & 8 months on front.

Old 11-05-2011, 06:50 PM
DukeofEarl
Tourer

Had them installed on my Limited last spring when we got new American Elite tires put on. Over 11,000 miles later and they have been great with no problem.