Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Arkansas suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 11:35 AM
txrdkng
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Arkansas suggestions

Planning a 3 day run up to Arkansas from the Houston area. Was told to head to Mena the first night, "work your way north, east and then south" over to Hot Springs for night two and then back home.

So, what is your favorite route from Mena to Hot Springs? I prefer sweepers over twisties (get to look around more) and have a full day to do it.

Thanks

Old 06-22-2011, 11:41 AM
jackja25
Road Captain

Highway 7 runs north south. Filled with many sweepers some twisties, very scenic. Many great side roads throughout Western Arkansas.

Old 06-22-2011, 11:53 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

I just got back from Hot Springs. We had 8 bikes riding.

My favorite road was hwy 88 (north or west I can’t remember which they call it) out of Mena.
It goes to Queen Wilhemenia State Park.
Then continue on and at the Oklahoma border it turns into hwy 1 the Talimena Scenic Dr (it is riding the ridge on top of the moutain, views on both sides of the road),
then it turns into the Winding Stair Mountain.
It’s all sweepers.
I wanted to turn around a ride it back, but our fearless leader thought he knew a short way back, but he didn't. lol

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=OK...0&via=1,2&z=10

Scenic hwy 7 around Hot Springs was great sweepers also, but not mountain few.

Riding up Mount Nebo is 4 miles of the shortest, steepest, tightest turns you will ever ride.
There is a sign that reads “next 2 miles 10 mph” and it’s all 1st gear. You may not like it. But it’s something to talk about.

Last edited by Texas Fat Boy; 06-22-2011 at 12:13 PM.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:58 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Scenic 7 is a nice, easy ride. 21 ("The Highlands") is fast sweepers. 123 ("The Arkansas Dragon") is extremely technical and demands attention. The climb up Mt.Nebo is some of the tightest switchbacks I've ridden, but the view from the top is nice. There are very few bad roads in Arkansas; it's a rider's playground.

Old 06-22-2011, 01:05 PM
tgspencer56
Intermediate

Check out this site. Lots of good rides. I would suggest going all the way to Eureka Springs.

http://www.touringtheozarks.com/

Old 06-22-2011, 02:41 PM
Classic Rider
Intermediate
Default senic 7

If you do decide to ride 7 make sure to take water VERY few places to stop for refresments.

Old 06-22-2011, 02:47 PM
Cajun_Arkie
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I live outside of Little Rock, AR and we definitely have some awesome roads to ride here in Arkansas. Definitely ride Hwy 7 all the way up to Harrison, AR. Hwy 23 (The Pig Trail) is a great road as well.

I've ridden Hwy 123 several times. Take 123 N off of Hwy 7 to Mt. Judea. Then take Hwy 74 back to Jasper. Try lunch at the Ozark Cafe in Jasper. The cafe has been there since 1909. They have a fried cheeseburger that is awesome. You gotta try it!

The wife and I are leaving this afternoon for Hot Springs. The Arkansas State HOG Rally starts tomorrow in Hot Springs.

Old 06-22-2011, 02:49 PM
mr396
Cruiser

Txrdkng,

When you planning to go to AR? I have met some guys (I'm from Wichita, KS) from Austin, TX the last 2 years and we have done 4-5 days rides through AR. We usually meet in Broken Bow, OK. It is a great ride. You will have lots of good roads. I have not done much riding in the southern part of AR, but it seems like the real fun does not start until you get north of I-40. I would suggest you ride up to hot springs if you can.

A book I would suggest is by Mario Caruso titled "Arkansas rider's guide" It has all the best roads, routes, lodging, and eating suggestions. He rates the roads with smiley faces. Pretty neat book.

I would avoid Hwy 7, It is a scenic byway but has lots of traffic and usually slow going. Lots of semi's, cars, etc. and going through the corners with them is very slow going. The northern part of AR has more hills and twisties.

My top recommendations are:
1. Hwy 123. I like the northern part more than the southern part but both are good.
You can catch the southern (if you are heading north) part by heading West on Hwy 164 off of Hwy 7 just north of Russellville. Hwy 123 makes an "S" around hwy 7. The southern loop of hwy 123 will bring you back to hwy 7, go north a few miles and hwy 123 "Y's off hwy 7 for the northern part. I usually head back to hwy 7 at hwy 374. Very little traffic and lots of twisties. This is one of the best roads in AR, IMO.

2. Hwy 16 heading East off of hwy 7 all the way to Shirley AR, then catch hwy 9 up to Mtn View. Then take hwy 87 out of Mtn View to hwy 14. You can follow hwy 14 almost all the way to Missouri if you want to. A nice road with lots of sweepers and little traffic.

3. Hwy 74 west off hwy 7, head south on hwy 21, then catch hwy 16 heading west. This part of hwy 16 is really neat and even saw some Elk along the road. We then turned south on Hwy 23 (Pig's trail). Pig's trail is good and you have to hit that road. Stop at Mulberry River.

4. Hwy 23 all the way up to Eureka springs is a good road. If you go to ES, you can head up into Missouri and ride some roads around the Table Rock Lake as well.

5. The talimena scenic hwy (starts in OK and goes to Mena). It is Ok-1 and then changes to AR-88.

6. Hwy 309 up to Magazine mtn is good too. You can stop at the lodge on top of the mtn to grab some lunch.

If you plan to stay around Jasper/Harrison one night, there is a biker hotel called "the Hub" near Dogpatch or Marble Falls, AR. Google it and you can find it.

In Jasper there is a neat cafe called "Ozark cafe". Ate breakfast there a few times.

The only bad thing about AR, is you have to choose only a few of the great roads to ride as you run out of time.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Old 06-22-2011, 02:51 PM
CruzN
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Check out my site http://www.virtualhale.com/cruzn/arkansas.php Arkansas page..
I have some good information on there.

Old 06-22-2011, 03:05 PM
txrdkng
Cruiser

All great stuff folks, thanks!!! Gives me an excellent starting point to plan the trip. Only problem is I can see I need to add AT LEAST 1 more day to the trip...

Quick Reply: Arkansas suggestions