Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat Advise

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011 | 07:55 PM
BlackeyCoveR
|
Cruiser

You all gave me lots to think about. I was thinking about my bars too but see why i should consider them together. Thanks for all of the great feedback and the warm welcome!

Old 06-22-2011 | 09:25 PM
mikebaby
Road Master

I love my Corbin classic solo.

mikebaby

Old 06-22-2011 | 10:43 PM
Troubleman
Tourer

Sounds like Corbin fits your description. Some on here don't like them, but I have friends that love them. They are about 50 miles from my house, and if you can make it there, they will build it right there in front of you to fit your a$$.

Old 06-23-2011 | 12:07 AM
vistavette
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by steelerdude1
I had a corbin Dual Tour, when researching, everyone gave it rave reviews. This seat is not for every body. I bought one and for me, it was horrible. First off, it is hard, very hard, so hard I was ready to take it off and ride on the battery because it put in in so much pain (rode about 250 miles that day,and by mile 100 I was miserable). It sets you back a bit further then the stock seat, and gives the passenger less room. If you have short arms, you may also need to change your bars. (not the case for me). It is close to the height of the stock seat, maybe a tab bit lower, and it does have a sporty look.

Lots of people told me it takes 1500 miles to break in. nope, not mine. I since sold it.

Here are a few pics for ya.

Good luck.

The issue with Corbin is that you really need to ride into the factory in California and have them "fit" a seat for you. with off the shelf seats from them your comments are common. I was just there with my brother who had similar issues with his Corbin BMW Seat and once they talked about the problems within a hour they had it reshaped and back on his bike. He said its like a different bike all together now. While we were there three different Harley riders came in and had seats made on the spot.

To the OP: If you are anywhere close enough to ride in to Corbin that would be a great experience and I'd be willing to bet you'd come out really happy with the results

Old 06-23-2011 | 10:39 AM
2011 Road Glide Ultra
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by vistavette
The issue with Corbin is that you really need to ride into the factory in California and have them "fit" a seat for you. with off the shelf seats from them your comments are common. I was just there with my brother who had similar issues with his Corbin BMW Seat and once they talked about the problems within a hour they had it reshaped and back on his bike. He said its like a different bike all together now. While we were there three different Harley riders came in and had seats made on the spot.

To the OP: If you are anywhere close enough to ride in to Corbin that would be a great experience and I'd be willing to bet you'd come out really happy with the results
I agree - between the wife and I, we've had 8 HDs, and all of them have had Corbin seats. All were made to fit using the ridein appointment service.

If you choose to do a custom Corbin ridein at Hollister, there are a few things you need to know. First of all, it doesn't cost any more than a standard Corbin. Second, if you need a motel, ride to Gilroy - the best hotel in Hollister is still a dump, complete with fleas. The Best Western Forest Park Inn in Gilroy is my recommendation. Third, wear your normal riding gear - including boots. The tech will fit the seat pan and foam to your bike and shape the foam for your butt, then they put a piece of leather over it and send you on a test ride. If you are smart enough to be getting the backrest, it needs to be fitted as well. TAKE THE TEST RIDE. Ride at least 3-4 miles in each sitting position (feel on boards, pegs) and pay attention to any little spot that is getting more pressure than the rest of your bottom. The goal is to spread your body weight evenly over a large area. When you get back, stay on the bike until the tech gets to see where you are getting extra pressure. They will remove foam to get rid of the hot spot. TAKE ANOTHER TEST RIDE. When it fits like a perfectly-made mold of your butt, then select the stiching you want, the leather you want, and any other choices for the cover. Spend the time getting the fit right - the only time we didn't (wife just sat on it a minute, rode around the parking lot) was the only time we were unhappy - the backrest was too thick.

There is a diner on site - you can sit in a booth and watch them work on your bike - and the food is pretty good (best we've found in Hollister). You may be there three hours, you may be there eight. We've had both. We anticipate being there all day, so we take the cribbage board.

Corbin seats are fantastic if they fit. I think they would be miserable if they don't fit. We have done a day that was 600+ miles, and didn't feel beat up at all. If you can do a ridein, that's great. If you can't, oredr it by phone, and give them accurate information about your build. Folks that fit in the "average" range do pretty well with the off-the-shelf ones - and you can always stick some masking tape on the spots that bother you and ship it back.

Last edited by 2011 Road Glide Ultra; 06-23-2011 at 10:45 AM.
Old 06-23-2011 | 03:16 PM
cooper57M
Tourer

If you riding 8 hours the comfortable seat is a dose advil a few hours into the ride

Old 06-23-2011 | 04:43 PM
10 RED RK
Outstanding HDF Member

Welcome to the KINGDOM!

I have an 2010 StreetGlide seat on my RK - it is an inexpensive alternative to all the high dollar seats. For long distance touring I use a Sundowner

But for short hauls the SG seat works fine-looks great IMO. Some threads on this forum recommend the
2011 SG seat they have said it is a little softer than the '10SG seat.

I picked my SG seat up from a forum member for $85.00 and it was brand new!

Old 06-23-2011 | 10:35 PM
FenderGuy53
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by sgnden
Then I went with a Sundowner for a while for the long trips, but ended-up with a Mustang Super Touring seat and absolutely LOVE it for the long haul.
A. What didn't you like about the Sundowner?

B. The 1.75" move to the rear didn't bother you with the Mustang ST?

Old 06-23-2011 | 11:33 PM
Bigdad68
Cruiser

Originally Posted by FXBadass
Hey Blackey!

Unless someone else chimes in, there are no sporty looking comfortable seats out there.

My second seat was the Badlander, and after 60 mi of cruising, you will find out why it is called that. My new Mustang tripper is just the same after today's ride. I mainly got it for looks, and to have a 2 piece seat.

My wife got the mustang vintage solo wide with seat back, and can now go all day long as she just got rid of her Lepera bare bones.
You obviously have not called Chuck at C&C Seats. Comfortable and custom at a low price!

Old 06-24-2011 | 12:03 AM
Califonia Bagger
Cruiser

I just bought a Corbin Hollywood Solo. It is beautiful. All leather, flame stitching, and custom key release. I bought it for 450. I never put it on the bike. I ended up with a Paul Yaffe stretched tank and it will not fit. I had to purchase the LePera barebones solo for that tank. It will fit perfect and is great looking for a solo rider around town. I am asking 325.00. Can't beat that. Brand new never used. Send me a private message if you are interested in seeing it. I have had 4 seats on all my bikes, including the popular sundowner. This is Custom and screams style.

Quick Reply: Seat Advise