Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sealed battery - not - heat from engine will dry out your battery

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 08:51 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,548 Likes on 6,277 Posts

I'm very careful around batteries, since blowing one up, 35 years ago, about 3' from my left ear. Probably why I have tinnitus now. I'd be even more careful, when the battery is 6" under my crotch.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:51 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,371 Likes on 2,543 Posts

first oil, and now batteries. you're really batting .1000 here. can't wait to hear what your next area of expertise is gonna be

Old 06-21-2011, 08:54 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by speakerfritz
I know, I know, I didn't use HD battery acid so the battery will eventually blow up......Its a standard 6 wet cell battery. Like most sealed wet cell batteries, the assumption is that the vent cap will condense the acid before the gases from recharging escape and the condensed acid will drain back into the battery. Problem is that condensation process is pretty difficult when the battery is co-located with an engine operating at almost 300 degrees. The battery took a charge real easy and passed the load test with no problems. Cranked the bike right up.
No guy, it doesn't matter if it was HD battery acid or any other brand. You don't add acid to an old battery, you add distilled water. You don't add anything to a sealed battery. You just opened up a maintenance free AGM battery, added acid to it, glued the seal back on, and then put it back in your bike. You should seriously consider getting someone else to do every bit of your maintenance, like even adjusting your mirrors.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:58 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Old 06-21-2011, 09:08 PM
NAUIdvr1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I work in the battery industry (UPS batteries) & if you know what your doing you can add acid to a maintenance free AGM battery. In fact in some conditions this is standard in the industry to avoid replacing them prematurely under warranty.

The key is to not completely seal that cap, because it is actually a pressurized one way vent cap, usually calibrated to open (vent) at a set PSI.

So if you get a few more weeks out of it while your waiting on you new one to get here, more power to you - don't listen to all these other mis-informed people.

Last edited by NAUIdvr1; 06-21-2011 at 09:31 PM.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:59 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by NAUIdvr1
I work in the battery industry (UPS batteries) & if you know what your doing you can add acid to a maintenance free AGM battery. In fact in some conditions this is standard in the industry to avoid replacing them prematurely under warranty.

The key is to not completely seal that cap, because it is actually a pressurized one way vent cap, usually calibrated to open (vent) at a set PSI.

So if you get a few more weeks out of it while your waiting on you new one to get here, more power to you - don't listen to all these other mis-informed people.
If I'm mis-informed, its only because every technical publication I've read relative to batteries for the past 30 years was wrong. Exactly what department in the Uninterruptable Power Supply battery industry did you say you work in? If it is such a common practice in the industry to add acid to an old maintenance free UPS battery, you shouldn't have too much trouble providing a qualified reference to support your claim.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:02 PM
streeter
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NAUIdvr1

Adding acid to an AGM power sports battery is NOT A STANDARD IN THE INDUSTRY to avoid replacing them under warranty!!! The sealing strip you say is a calibrated vent is FALSE, it is nothing more than a sealing strip that is NOT designed to be removed.....Period.

Please get your facts straight as this type of information is very misleading.

Old 06-22-2011, 01:09 AM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 220 Likes on 192 Posts

You got some great service from your battery, If it's the ORG. from 07. I use the battery tender on mine all the time>

Old 06-22-2011, 02:06 AM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it's definitely not AGM. AGM has a 1 to 3 PSI pressure relief valve and is sealed. This battery has an clear vent with the typical condensation traps as well as having 6 cell access plugs. The cells are straight forward wet cells.

Old 06-22-2011, 02:14 AM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No guy, it doesn't matter if it was HD battery acid or any other brand. You don't add acid to an old battery, you add distilled water.
it depends on your hydrometer readings, if the acid specific gravity is weak, you don't want to add water. If the acid specific gravity is very strong, you can add water. as the acid leaves the battery thru the vents, sulfuric acid will accumulate on terminals and areas around the vents. Adding acid to a battery with a low specific gravity replaces the sulfuric acid .

Quick Reply: sealed battery - not - heat from engine will dry out your battery