Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inner primary bearing went out....

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 03:30 PM
Dale_K
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's the symptom when this bearing goes bad? I sometimes hear a howling sound coming from the clutch area of my 2010 RKC. Funny thing is sometimes there's no howling at all, other times it's pretty loud. I've never been able to get it howling when I'm at the dealer.

Old 06-22-2011, 04:28 PM
stupid_rope
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Potato_Potato
Can you upgrade to Timken bearings without taking the motor out and splitting the cases?
I actually asked on another thread if anybody knew what the Timken part nos were for the primary bearings.

Hell, i'll replace the entire bike's bearings with timkens since mine is in pieces.

Old 06-23-2011, 06:38 AM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Dale, what I would notice is a definite "rattling" at idle when out of gear and clutch lever released. On the road, it was more of a "scraping" sound down at the clutch. It always started in a very subtle manner, sort of like just a noisy primary chain, and grew more pronounced over about 3k miles, when it was obvious something was wrong.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:41 AM
Terrabella
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Between the Inner primary bearing failing, Compensator failing and wheel bearings failing, I am afraid to ride my bike 09 Ultra Classic anymore.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:44 AM
cowboybob56
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Thumbs up Afraid to ride it?

Originally Posted by Terrabella
Between the Inner primary bearing failing, Compensator failing and wheel bearings failing, I am afraid to ride my bike 09 Ultra Classic anymore.
Is it paid off? Give it to me I'll ride her. Parts is parts....
If she still makes ya feel good ride till she breaks fix her and ride her some more and repeat

Last edited by cowboybob56; 06-23-2011 at 09:47 AM. Reason: frag sentence.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:07 AM
garand
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm on an 08 FLHX. So far I did tons of research and saving and replaced the compensator myself just in time.

This is going to be my next project. I'm going to do it as soon as the symptoms begin, maybe sooner.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:47 AM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Talking

Terrabella, I feel your pain! But even with the prospect of replacing that bearing every year, I'm still very confident in the reliability of my bike. I suppose I have about 100k miles on Harleys over the past four years and have never been broken down on the side of the road. Never had a flat. Never had anything but good experiences with them.

Of course, now that I've said that, my compensator will come apart this afternoon after fixing two flat tires, and the primary chain will break and launch itself out of the primary cover, taking the top end of the motor with it while it punches a hole in the gas tank! None of which will be covered by warranty, because I have an aftermarket windshield on the bike!

Old 06-23-2011, 05:34 PM
classic53
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Next weekend I'm going to pop off the primary cover and take a peek at things. And if it is bad I"m going with the baker high torque bearing. Then I might just do the baker F6F. Not 100% sure on that yet.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:40 PM
psychocircus
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Pastor John
Terrabella, I feel your pain! But even with the prospect of replacing that bearing every year, I'm still very confident in the reliability of my bike. I suppose I have about 100k miles on Harleys over the past four years and have never been broken down on the side of the road. Never had a flat. Never had anything but good experiences with them.

Of course, now that I've said that, my compensator will come apart this afternoon after fixing two flat tires, and the primary chain will break and launch itself out of the primary cover, taking the top end of the motor with it while it punches a hole in the gas tank! None of which will be covered by warranty, because I have an aftermarket windshield on the bike!
BUWAAAHAAHA...thats funny **** right there! i dont care who are!

Old 06-23-2011, 08:19 PM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Potato_Potato
Can you upgrade to Timken bearings without taking the motor out and splitting the cases?
I'm still wondering the same thing.

Quick Reply: Inner primary bearing went out....