Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Brake Switch

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011 | 02:10 AM
FtpdMoose
|
Cruiser
Default Front Brake Switch

I took apart the front brake so I could mount the Ram Mount to it for the cell phone and now my brake lights wont go out. I've taken it off and tried tweaking and checked for pinched wires and can't seem to get it right. If I stick a piece of paper in there they work fine. Anyone got any tips or tricks to get this on right? Starting to pi** me off now!

Old 06-21-2011 | 06:07 AM
mech8251
Tourer

You've probably broken the switch and need to have it replaced... Done that once myself it doesn't take much

Old 06-21-2011 | 06:10 AM
kingkingking
Road Warrior

you need to jam some cardboard in the lever before you pull it off, otherwise the switch gets damaged.

One of the reasons the shop manual is a good investment.

Old 06-21-2011 | 06:12 AM
hojones
Ultimate HDF Member

If you didn't use a shim under the lever as instructed by service manual you have probally damaged the rubber cover and button on the switch. There is also a small metal clip/spring that holds the switch that you may have lost. Most likely the switch is broken. I think there are some fixes on here for it just do a search.

Old 06-21-2011 | 06:41 AM
Route66rider
Tourer

If you don't feel like replacing the switch, just go cheap & epoxy a #4 brass nut on the part of the lever where it touches the switch. Worked for me on the used bike I purchased. FWIW, I bet your cruise doesn't work any more either...

Old 06-21-2011 | 11:25 AM
FtpdMoose
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Route66rider
If you don't feel like replacing the switch, just go cheap & epoxy a #4 brass nut on the part of the lever where it touches the switch. Worked for me on the used bike I purchased. FWIW, I bet your cruise doesn't work any more either...

Now that you say this about my cruise, I think you may be right. Was on a ride last week and it didn't seem to be working then forgot about it. Have to check that out!

I did do a quick fix by putting a small piece of 3m in there. Can't see it and it works fine! If the cruise isn't working then I'll replace. If it is working then I'm considering it fixed by 3m! Ty all

Last edited by FtpdMoose; 06-21-2011 at 11:29 AM.
Old 06-21-2011 | 11:32 AM
FtpdMoose
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by hojones
If you didn't use a shim under the lever as instructed by service manual you have probally damaged the rubber cover and button on the switch. There is also a small metal clip/spring that holds the switch that you may have lost. Most likely the switch is broken. I think there are some fixes on here for it just do a search.
When I looked in my service manuel it doesn't show any clip/spring and I also asked at the dealer and they said there isn't anything that goes there thsat mine looked fine and it prob just needs tweaked.

Old 06-21-2011 | 11:43 AM
KACook
Advanced

I installed the cruise control on my 2011 FLHX yesterday and had all that apart. The only thing other that a damaged switch, that I noticed could happen is...There is a tab on the Brake assembley that fits into a slot that is made when the 2 halves of the switch housings are fitted together.

It should have NO GAPS when assembled correctly. I think you can get all the screws started without actally having the tab in the slot. That would put extra space between the button and the lever and cause the light to stay on.
Ken

Old 06-21-2011 | 03:29 PM
MassHD
Road Warrior

Same thing happened to me when I installed the cruise. Mine didn't stay on but as I rode down the road the brake light would bounce on and off. I just bought the switch and solder it since I have internal wiring.

Old 06-21-2011 | 04:00 PM
hojones
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by FtpdMoose
When I looked in my service manuel it doesn't show any clip/spring and I also asked at the dealer and they said there isn't anything that goes there thsat mine looked fine and it prob just needs tweaked.
Well I guess they must have changed it from the 09 model year. Mine has a V shaped brass looking spring in the housing at the switch. Good luck.,

Quick Reply: Front Brake Switch