Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wind vest 4 a street glide

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 11:31 PM
mattgnigthster
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wind vest 4 a street glide

like everyone else i would like a diffrent windshield. i saw wind vest makes one that almost looks stock but curvs up at the end. 2 questions. will my HD 3 pouch windshild bag still fit behind a wind vest windshild and my 2nd question is i'm 5'8 and ride with a full face lid. what size wind shield would i put on the 4 inch 6 inch or taller? I love the look of the short wind shield but am getting tired of my lid and sun glasses being blown all over and making my vison a tad on the shaky side at times. Thanks and if anyone is running one of these on there street glide or electra how much better is it over the small stock wind shield, does it take care of the wind buffing? thank you.

Old 06-21-2011, 03:54 AM
pretz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Windvest provides a great windshield and here is their guidance to proper sizing.

http://www.windvest.com/products/products.html

The top of the screen should be approximately mouth level while you are sitting on your bike (comfortably out of your line of vision).

How do I measure for my Bagger? Sizes are measured from the top of the fairing. Our aero dynamically designed windscreen performs 3 to 4 inches taller than it is. Bigger isn’t always better with our screens.

How do I measure for my Road Glide? Sizes are measured from the center bolt on the fairing. Our aero dynamically designed windscreen performs 3 to 4 inches taller than it is. Bigger isn’t always better with our screens.

Old 06-21-2011, 06:09 AM
mattgnigthster
Advanced

i read that sizing chart. i was looking to see what people thought in the real world riding that maybe were my size and got that 4inch wind shield but maybe should have gone bigger. plus i'm looking for that real world test if these wind shields stop the wind buffering or is it just hype? thanks

Old 06-21-2011, 11:01 AM
blueduramax
Cruiser

If you move your hand around while riding I believe you will find that the air moving your helmet and glasses around is coming from below the fairing, not over the top. A pair of front fork air deflectors worked for me.

Old 06-21-2011, 01:41 PM
DXHD $100
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Just installed a 8" on an Ultra Classic to take the place of a stock one I am 6'2' and do not like looking thru a windshield it work great the design of the Wind Vest is supposed to make a 2" different so a 6" would work like an 8".

Old 06-21-2011, 02:15 PM
old.gezr
Road Captain

Take a look at the new Aero from www.fastaire.com . I replaced a Windvest 6" with the Aero 6" and rode it over 750 miles last weekend to the Elko Motorcycle Jamboree in Elko, NV. We rode between 70 and 90 MPH alot of the time, kind of a rural 4-lane! I think the Aero is the best windshield I've found for me and I've had several on both my 07 and 11 SG's. Call Jim and he will give you the size you need. You can't beat his service or price. Ride safe.

Old 06-21-2011, 02:18 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm 6'1", the 6" Windvest worked pretty good , but the 8" was even better. Don't really know what to tell you about issues with the full faced helmet, seems to me you wouldn't need a windshield at all.

Old 06-22-2011, 05:47 PM
fjoh
Tourer
Received 72 Likes on 25 Posts

I just put a Windvest 8" (light smoke) on my 2010 FLHX. I've tried the stocker (4"), cheap 6", LongRide's 6", then this Windvest 8". I really liked the LRS 6", but my girlfriend wanted a bit more protection on a long ride, so I tried the Windvest 8". I was @ one of the local parts store where they showed me both "GUN SMOKE (Darker)" and "SMOKE (Lighter)" by the Windvest.

I could REALLY tell the difference between the 6" and 8" windshield and am VERY pleased with the Windvest 8". I have to look through the shield, so I got the SMOKE (lighter) tint, although the darker tint would look nicer (in my opinion), but night time riding, I think, would be much more pleasant/ safer with the lighter tint. Oh, my girlfriend was VERY HAPPY with the difference it made for the passenger, also. She THANKED ME for getting this shield.

It shaped kinda like the LongRideShield's new flat top shield. The first thing I noticed when I saw the Windvest in person was the it had much flatter top line and I think it helps to create a bigger bubble around the rider and the passenger.

I am VERY happy with how it took care of the buffetting @ highway speed, 70-80+mph. Now my bike, I think, is much more pleasant for a longer trips....

I also have had a KlockWorks 6.5" flare shield and I like the looks AND how it gave more stability @ higher speed, but I didn't think it gave me the protection from the wind I was looking for.

So I think, for me, the search for the "right shield for me" is over now! I also wanted to mention that I have added the lower fairings (vented) along with the wind deflectors (the half moon shape, chorme metal piece that mounts on the lower triple tree AND bottom sides of the batwing. The Chrome deflector on the triple tree cut majority of the wind that was coming up between the tree and the gas tank, which was VERY annoying after I installed the lower fairings.

I hope this helps for those of you who are annoyed by "BUFFETING"....

Old 06-23-2011, 10:56 AM
mattgnigthster
Advanced

ended up going with the wind vest 4inch gun smoke tint. i wanted to keep the "cool" look but get the benifit of having the flair style windshield. when i talked to Dough at wind vest he thought the 4inch would fiit me best as stated i'm only 5'8 and when i took the stock windshield and added the 2 more inches that would make 6inches it looked as if it would be in my line of sight and i did'nt want to go over 6inches for a windshield. the other plus side to the wind vest is i get to keep my 3pouch windshield bag as it will fit with the win vest. thanks to all the replyed. still would like to hear from anyone running the 4inch wind vest and how it works over the stock 4incher. thanks again and ride safe everyone.