Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch adjustment problem or something else?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 08:13 PM
blusmbl
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Clutch adjustment problem or something else?

I've searched a couple times and haven't been able to find a specific answer so I figured I'd ask.

I put Wild1 14" handlebars on my bike over Easter. Also ran the wires internally, along with replacing the clutch and brake cables. The clutch cable is a +6" barnett easy pull, in black vinyl.

I also changed my primary oil to the Redline V-twin stuff found in the power pack (and I also put heavy shockproof in the trans). I've had issues with harsh engagements ever since. I changed the primary oil and clutch cable at the same time so I don't know what the culprit is, but it is substantially worse than how it used to be with the stock cable and the syn3 in the primary. I thought the Redline fluid was supposed to be excellent in the primary, so I don't think the oil is the problem.

I've adjusted the clutch pack a couple times now thinking it may be where my problem is, but I don't know what I should use as the point for backing off the adjuster- is it just barely making contact, then back off a half turn, or is it more positive contact, then backing off the adjuster? I've made sure to do it cold all 3 times, no luck with it getting better. I have the manual and I wish it was slightly more specific.

What is also odd, it will get the harsh klunk when cold (somewhat expected, but doesn't get better even if I hold the clutch in for 20 seconds before touching the shifter), after it warms up slightly it drops into gear without any type of noise (almost too smooth to be a Harley!), but after running for more than a half hour, especially in traffic, it gets really harsh again. Bike lurches forward and shudders, etc. I can find neutral with no issue hot or cold, it seems to engage at the right point on the lever, and I have the required free play in the cable.

Any thoughts? Is my adjustment still not right at the clutch itself? Is the aftermarket cable stretching more with temperature than the stock one?

I would write it off as "they all do that", but it's definitely not how it acted before I changed the cable and fluid. I was used to the heavy klunk when cold, not after it has warmed up as well.

Thanks,
Nick

Old 06-19-2011, 08:37 PM
SICKBAGGER
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would back it off 3/4's of a turn. What I do is run it down till I know it is firm to make sure everything is seated correctly, the back it off and run it up until I just feel it hitting the rod back it off 3/4 turn and lock her down. Then go back to the cable which should have all the slack you can adjust into it before making the basket adjustment. I adjust the cable until I can get tge slack out and still pull the cable out of the perch 1/8". Seems to work great I had tried the half turn many times and found problems also slippage when you romp on it in 5th and 6th gears. I dont think it is your fluid I think it is adjustment.

Last edited by SICKBAGGER; 06-19-2011 at 08:40 PM.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:51 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 668 Likes on 532 Posts

most hard to find to shift problems relate to clutch adjustment.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:51 PM
Lass7711
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I assume you are adding some slack to the cable before you adjust the clutch pack, then re-adjusting the cable after adjusting the clutch pack.

I've read here that some people have had to tighten the clutch adjuster in past snug maybe 1/2 to 1 turn, back it out again, then adjust it according to the manual. If the clutch does not seem to be disengaging enough, you may have to back the adjuster out only 1/2 turn from snug on the clutch pack.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:00 PM
rkoivisto
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Cold first gear clunk

I've had the same problem for quite a whille. It does help to blip the throttle a couple of times before you put it in gear when cold. I've tried adjusting the clutch all over, but never been able to get rid on the harsh engagement.

Be interested to see if there are any answers.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:01 PM
blusmbl
Road Warrior

Ok, thank you. I'll try it again, backing off 3/4 of a turn. It sucks, I have to put a new gasket on each time I fiddle with the adjustment at the basket. Maybe I'll put my original o-ring style derby cover back on until I know I've gotten it right.

I think in one of the other threads I've read on the subject, somebody mentioned the basket setting is also used to provide adequate clearance as the whole engine/primary/trans warms up. I suppose if that clearance isn't right it would explain why mine acts up when I've ridden it for awhile.

Edit: yep, all 3 times I've tried it, I added all the slack possible at the cable adjuster.

What's odd is that I can find neutral really easily compared to when the bike was new (it's got 5k on it now), but it doesn't seem to disengage enough when it's hot.

I wonder if my half turn out is really more like 1-1.5 turns if I didn't run the adjuster down and back out first?

Last edited by blusmbl; 06-19-2011 at 09:06 PM.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:13 PM
smithbrl
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I use the derby cover gasket over and over. I think the gasket only seals from oil splashing against the derby cover and some oil that drips down onto it. I don't there's any pressure to worry about. I keep a new one in the shop but I've never had to use it. If it does leak, it's a minor job to replace it.

Old 07-16-2011, 01:36 PM
blusmbl
Road Warrior

Update: I got it much better after readjustment of the clutch pack. Running a little over 1/2 turn helped. I think I had it much too loose initially.

I've also reused the derby cover gasket a couple times now in the course of trial and error, and it's not leaking. Thanks everybody for the suggestions!