Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel Bearings

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 03:20 PM
djimking
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Bearings

Anybody with wheel bearing issues on newer bikes..09-11?

Old 06-19-2011, 03:45 PM
THABULL
Road Master

A man my brother works with had his front ones explode on his!

Old 06-19-2011, 04:42 PM
kjkustoms
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Was at the dealer yesterday, the service tech told me there is a service bulletin on my bike for both front and rear wheel bearings, 08 FLHX, Its going in Monday for replacements. I was told that the dust seal on the Chinese bearings that came from factory is faulty therefore they issued a bulletin.

Old 06-19-2011, 05:14 PM
BuckeyeUltra
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I see in the Screamin Eagle performance catalog, they have the sleeve that will convert it to Timken tapers...i assume then there are sh*t chinese ball bearings in the front out of the factory?

I'll be switching to Timken tapers if / when the bearigns go bad on my Ultra.

Old 06-19-2011, 05:20 PM
69cj
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought my wheel bearings from an A/M bearing house. Part # DH-559339-1 front and rear. $53.00 out the door for all four.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:49 PM
bikehe
Tourer

Originally Posted by BuckeyeUltra
I see in the Screamin Eagle performance catalog, they have the sleeve that will convert it to Timken tapers...i assume then there are sh*t chinese ball bearings in the front out of the factory?

I'll be switching to Timken tapers if / when the bearigns go bad on my Ultra.
Is that for 09 up bikes. I just bought the georges garage bearing tool and if thats the case the tool will now only be good to remove the old ones. I've searched everywhere for better replacement bearings for 09 up models but with no luck. Wouldnt be a problem if the axle shaft size were 25mm instead of 1" as timken make a bearing for this size with the correct seal type and 52mm O.D bearing. To the OP if you do a search you may get a quicker answer but to answer your question there have been a few failures but from what I can remember it was possibly due to incorrect bearing installation and possibly high pressure cleaning around the bearings, its just proving it, but thats not to say there isnt a quality control issue with these bearings either. There have also been reports of wobble/vibration because of a bearing issue that could have gone real bad on the road.

Last edited by bikehe; 06-19-2011 at 08:58 PM.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:54 PM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kjkustoms
Was at the dealer yesterday, the service tech told me there is a service bulletin on my bike for both front and rear wheel bearings, 08 FLHX, Its going in Monday for replacements. I was told that the dust seal on the Chinese bearings that came from factory is faulty therefore they issued a bulletin.
Does anyone have the SB for this?

Old 06-19-2011, 09:40 PM
V2Evo96
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjkustoms

Originally Posted by Potato_Potato
Does anyone have the SB for this?
Yes I would like to have this as well as I am starting to hear grunching noise from time to time that sounds like wheel bearings to me.
Much appreciated if someone could provide the SB for this.

Old 06-20-2011, 05:25 PM
tgshoe
Road Captain

Had the front bearings replaced on my '09 the service manager said they were rusty and completely dry. It was done under warranty.

Old 06-20-2011, 05:54 PM
69cj
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tgshoe
Had the front bearings replaced on my '09 the service manager said they were rusty and completely dry. It was done under warranty.
Don't know about 09 but the 07's are a completely sealed bearing. Did they pop the seals? Just curious.

Quick Reply: Wheel Bearings