Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spark Plug Heat Ranges

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 02:31 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a built up 04 E-glide that liked to ping a little in the heat. I had bumped the compression up. I ran two heat ranges cooler for many years with great results. I would have to run a little octane booster for temps over 100*. I always ran Autolite plugs.

Old 06-19-2011, 02:42 PM
TWIN CAM 96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

2005 or above you need to run a HD plug due to the computerized system in your bike you can go with a colder plug but you need to buy them from HD or you will mess up the cpu in your bike.Just my 2 cents!

The following users liked this post:
HDD08 (02-10-2020)
Old 06-19-2011, 02:52 PM
Navy UC Rider
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TWIN CAM 96
2005 or above you need to run a HD plug due to the computerized system in your bike you can go with a colder plug but you need to buy them from HD or you will mess up the cpu in your bike.Just my 2 cents!
I have heard that before. I would think that as long as the resistance is in limits, it shouldn't matter, but this is why I am hesitant about trying a different plug. Maybe someone else can confirm.

Old 06-19-2011, 02:53 PM
Navy UC Rider
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who makes the OEM plugs? Autolite?

Old 06-19-2011, 03:08 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's complete BS. Who the hell told you that? An HD dealer? HD plugs are nothing special.

Old 06-19-2011, 04:17 PM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Navy UC Rider
I have heard that before. I would think that as long as the resistance is in limits, it shouldn't matter, but this is why I am hesitant about trying a different plug. Maybe someone else can confirm.

your bike has an anit-knock system that relies on elctrical values of a specific brand and model spark plug. you cn use a stock plug or an exact equiv of the stock plug. but deviating from that will screw up your anti knock system and if the right anti knock senerio occurs, engine damage could result.

Old 06-19-2011, 04:24 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by BLKBAGGER
That's complete BS. Who the hell told you that? An HD dealer? HD plugs are nothing special.
It's not complete BS, but its not completely accurate either. I don't think you can actually damage the ECM by using an other than OEM plug, but the ion sensing function is designed around the HD plug characteristics, so an alternate plug may not work correctly. I know there are some really smart electronics guys here that probably know or could figure out the critical electrical characteristics and the values required in a plug, and a bench test to validate a given plug's fitness for the ion sensing application. What say you electrical engineers.

Old 06-19-2011, 04:40 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

I've run Autolite 4163 with no problems. These are one heat-range lower than stock and don't interfere with the ion-discharge knock-sensing function. Cost is about $1.50 each. The only problem I had with these was the screw-on cap that tended to unscrew in time, leaving it in the wire with no solid connection to the plug.

Last edited by iclick; 06-19-2011 at 04:45 PM.
Old 06-19-2011, 04:43 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Navy UC Rider
Who makes the OEM plugs? Autolite?
Champion RABHC for the stockers, not sure about the Gold and others.

Old 06-19-2011, 04:52 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Haven't had oem plugs in my bike for about 20k miles. 07

Quick Reply: Spark Plug Heat Ranges