Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

auto tune for the power commander??

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 07:01 AM
tags
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default auto tune for the power commander??

i went to my local speed shop to have my sg dino tunned and they told me i should get the auto tune.. just use the wide band sensors and plug and play.. does it really work??

Old 06-19-2011, 07:15 AM
riff1006
Cruiser

It seems to. I don't have it but some of the veterans around here swear by it.

Old 06-19-2011, 07:22 AM
LarryLives
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

IMO, I would use the correct PC for your ride and then get the correct map for your mods.
If its not listed then contact Dynoject and they will email you the download thats right for your set up. then your ecm will adjust from there.
imo, the auto tun will get you close, but not dead on...
again jmo....

Old 06-19-2011, 08:23 AM
gilbos440rt
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's good to have if you have a good map already, but like to change things a lot, it'll tune itself back in pretty quickly. If you're looking for that very last HP then a Dyno would be the best bet, but for 98% of the riders who just change exhaust, air cleaners and other small things around a lot then the Auto tuner is a pretty good thing, just my 2 cents though.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:52 AM
OklahomaSam
Advanced

I have Autotune and I like it.

It allows me to make changes without having to worry about getting a new download to compensate.

I had the AFR tables set by a local tuner on a 250i to get optimal HP and torque, saved that map, and then adjusted it to make a new map that was a little more lean in the cruise range but still retained power for acceleration.

And I like the ability to connect it to my netbook, pull up the tables, and make changes whenever I want.

Old 06-19-2011, 10:11 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by OklahomaSam
I have Autotune and I like it.

It allows me to make changes without having to worry about getting a new download to compensate.

I had the AFR tables set by a local tuner on a 250i to get optimal HP and torque, saved that map, and then adjusted it to make a new map that was a little more lean in the cruise range but still retained power for acceleration.

And I like the ability to connect it to my netbook, pull up the tables, and make changes whenever I want.
I have a PC-V without Autotune and I'm curious to know how it works. Do you have to update the map from time to time to include the mods suggested by the Autotune module or can you just set a target AFR and have the Autotune update your map continuously?
Today, I tinker with my map manually if I want to change something (like if I have popping at decel or pinging at acceleration but I hope if I connect my PC-V to an Autotune module, the updates will be done automatically. Am I correct?

Old 06-19-2011, 10:38 AM
The Q
Road Warrior
Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

I have a PC-V with the Autotune from FuelMoto and can tell you it is a great tool. FuelMoto gave me a map that was real close. I let the Autotune do it's thing for a week of riding. I accepted the trim once and since just run in the Autotune mode. I accepted the trims so the FuelMoto map would be more accurate if something in foreseen happens to the Autotune module or sensors. I'm tempted to play around with the AFR in the cruise range for that little extra mpg, but the bike runs so good I don't see the need.

Old 06-20-2011, 03:12 PM
OklahomaSam
Advanced

Originally Posted by frenchbiker
I have a PC-V without Autotune and I'm curious to know how it works. Do you have to update the map from time to time to include the mods suggested by the Autotune module or can you just set a target AFR and have the Autotune update your map continuously?
Today, I tinker with my map manually if I want to change something (like if I have popping at decel or pinging at acceleration but I hope if I connect my PC-V to an Autotune module, the updates will be done automatically. Am I correct?
The simple answer is yes. The Autotune is going to apply trims to your fuel tables to achieve the AFR's you have selected. If you put 18.8 at 20% throttle, it's going to trim until it reaches 18.8.

Below is the target AFR table for my bike. If you look to the device tree on the left, you'll see where the Autotune has inserted itself and that there is an AFR and trim table for each cylinder.

Since I have specified 13.2 at 40% throttle for cylinder one, it will trim the cylinder one fuel table to achieve it.

If you have popping and pinging and you believe it's an AFR issue, you can easily adjust the AFR's to try and tune it out, but it's only going to do what you tell it to.

Well, there's supposed to be an AFR picture here, but anything large enough to read is too big to upload.

I have a pretty basic understanding of Autotune. Others on the board such as IClick have a much better understanding and would be able to more fully explain all the functions and capabilities.

Last edited by OklahomaSam; 06-20-2011 at 03:50 PM.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:43 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by tags
i went to my local speed shop to have my sg dino tunned and they told me i should get the auto tune.. just use the wide band sensors and plug and play.. does it really work??
Did you have the bike dyno tuned? If so, why not just run it as is? OTOH if you like to tweak and/or plan on doing further performance mods to your bike, it would be a cost-effective way to maintain an accurate tune.

Old 06-20-2011, 04:45 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by LarryLives
IMO, I would use the correct PC for your ride and then get the correct map for your mods.
If its not listed then contact Dynoject and they will email you the download thats right for your set up. then your ecm will adjust from there.
imo, the auto tun will get you close, but not dead on...
again jmo....
Nothing will get you dead-on, 100% accurate--but the PCV-AT will tune AFR's as close as anything will. No tuner except the DJ Power Vision with the same AT-100 unit will tune AFR's and ignition timing.

Last edited by iclick; 06-20-2011 at 05:11 PM.

Quick Reply: auto tune for the power commander??