Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a Road King ever a first

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 02:09 PM
JohnTM
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is a Road King ever a first

Hi,
I introduced myself yesterday in the new members forum, but was advised that it was really not the right place for long specific questions. Maybe I can get some advise here?
I am basically asking if it is stretching my expectations to start off with a Road King?

<<I've been browsing the forums for a couple of days now. I visited a dealer and my heart is set on a Road King Classic. But, I would like to ask for advice.
I'm 6', 220#, 63 years here, did the motorcycle class last month and have my license. Of course, we used small bikes and never got over 20mph. I always wanted to travel freely, camp out (just a little) and am finishing the book "The Old Man and the Harley". I can put up $15K and need to fiancé the rest. Credit score of 730. I've heard no one likes to give old men loans for motorcycles.
Anyway, getting off my question.
I don't want to get a motorcycle too small and trade it next year for my dream bike. I asked a dealer in NJ that rents Harley's if I could rent one for a few hours this Monday. He said I better come to discuss first when he heard of my newness. I did ride a Harley Sprint H in 69-70 when I was in the Air Force in Charleston. Would a Soft Tail be a better choice? All recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Is it possible to start off with a Road King or can just Superman do that?>>

Old 06-18-2011, 02:17 PM
Bill03E
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

If you want it buy it, just ride it.
You just have to realize that if you don't do the services yourself it costs $$$, you may be in for a bit of sticker shock on the services.
I wouldn't put $15K down if I was going to get a loan.
I would save a few K to travel if that is all the money you have.
Nothing wrong with starting out on a touring bike, they handle better than most of the soft tails.

Old 06-18-2011, 02:19 PM
Noble Jim
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey JohnTM;
I'm 64, been riding since I was 13. I never had a Harley until I was in my 50s. I wanted a Road King, but settled for a Sportster. I still wanted a Road King, settled for a Dyna. I still wanted a Road King but settled for a Fatboy. I still wanted a Road King but settled for an Ultra Classic (wife's wish). I still wanted a Road King, kept the Ultra and bought (traded) for a Road King. It is the greatest HD ever built. I really like mine. Wouldn't give it up for anything.
Go with your gut, buy the Road King. HD will provide financing if you are buying from a stealership, if not with a credit score like that, you can get money from most banks. That's what they make insurance for, to protect you as well as your lender. Go for it, you will never be sorry, you will never have to say "I sure wish I had bought the RK".
My $00.02 worth.
Jim

Old 06-18-2011, 02:23 PM
dutcharoo
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its a nice bike, just start slow tilll you get use to it, take for a test ride frist, push it around back up with it and see how you legs handle it. Have fun with what ever you get.

Old 06-18-2011, 02:33 PM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You're askin' good questions, but the answers are as complicated as the questions.

I've always said "go as big as your wallet allows". I think buyin' too small a bike is a waste of both time & money. With that in mind, realize that being new almost any bike is going to feel big to you. Only you know how comfortable you are learning new riding skills, so be honest with yourself about how comfortable you were on the small bikes. Then go sit on a few Road Kings. You can do that at any dealers. Move 'em around a bit, get a friend to hold it stable while you get your feet on the boards, move one around from both the saddle & the side. If it's outside & a sales geek approaches ask if you can ride it around the parking lot.

The thing is, it'll feel big, heavy, awkward, all the problem things for just a while. Then you'll become used to it & if you can handle it you'll be right at home. Once you get any motorcycle moving it carries you, not the other way around. Walkin' 'em around, slow speed maneuvering, & coming to the first few stops are where they get difficult. Once you get used to those things they're pretty much all the same.

I'm 4 years older than you & 5 pounds lighter. Been ridin' for over 45 years & whenever I try out a new bike I always take it *very* easy the first few miles. Lighter or heaver, it's the strangeness that will cause you to drop it. If you *want* a Road King, then get a Road King!

Old 06-18-2011, 02:38 PM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 988 Likes on 679 Posts

Welcome to HDForums
Do you ride alone or 2-up? Do you plan on travel long distance or just local? Personally when i got back into riding after MANY a years off i bought an '99 1100 Honda Shadow and loved it!! I new i dint want to spend the big bucks on a HD till i was sure that i really want to get back into it. Im 2?? and 6'0. The bike was great for me alone but the wife was not happy with the 2-up situation so needless to say i had no problem talking her into a E-Glide when i was ready. I'm 54 and honestly after a long days ride the bike can get heavy,BUT it will be a long time till im ready for the trike!!!LOL...
I love my HD but was glad i started a little smaller just to get the feel(My Grove Back)... Glad you are renting.I also did that,with a king....24 hour rental and i got every penny out of it!!!
Good luck on your choice.... Ride Safe!!! ........o~`o..........

Old 06-18-2011, 02:39 PM
WolfDog
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Road King. Hands Down... We started on a Softail, was great around town, touring was fine at first but them realized the Touring frame and size was better for the way we use it.

If you are riding distances, go with the Road King.... If you are planning to cruise around town, and not log distance then you might want to look smaller..

I have a feeling you will enjoy the RK, my Buddie has one and to him ain"t nothing better..

Good luck and Post up photos when you get her home......

Ride On........

Old 06-18-2011, 02:41 PM
SkipCarey
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMHO new riders can and do make one fatal mistake they underestimate how heavy touring harleys are..........It should take 6 months to become familiar with any new machine and most accidents(single vehicle loss of control type accidents) involve new riders in the first year of ownership.

Old 06-18-2011, 02:52 PM
990rtracer
Road Captain
Received 47 Likes on 18 Posts

Here is what I did and I tell my friends the same, Figure out what you think you want in my case it was a Road King for my 1st Harley. I was lucky I found a 2004 RK with only 1800 miles on CL, it had 10k worth of chrome and was spotless bought it for $14.5 k back in '06. I rode that bike and put 10k miles on it in 3 years and decided what I really wanted was a Ultra so the wife would be comfier and I wanted all the bells and whistles as well. I sold that king last year for $13.5k and found yet another used low mileage, 233 miles to be exact '08 Ultra for $5k less than a new one . My point is make sure if you do get a new Harley you are getting what YOU will be happy with and not wish you had gotten a different model and end up taking a bath on it. To me you can find a lot of really great deals on CL and have patience, in the mean time you might see if you can rent a few different models. My dad bought his 1st Harley at 65 and it has changed his life he is 73 now and still going strong.

You will be fine on the King just take it easy at first and Go for it!

Good Luck!

Attached Thumbnails Is a Road King ever a first-04-road-king-001.jpg   Is a Road King ever a first-img_4978.jpg  
Old 06-18-2011, 02:53 PM
shredder22
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do the King and don't look back. The comfort and ride are uncomparable to any other bike, jmo. As you put time on the bike you will gain confidence and that is the only way you will gain confidence. Until you feel completly comfortable with the bike take it slow, the feeling will grow. Also if you can swing it try to get yourself into an 09 or above the frame is a lot more forgiving on the newer bikes, again I am obviously bias but just my opinion, good luck.

Quick Reply: Is a Road King ever a first