Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a Road King ever a first

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 04:21 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Assuming you're healthy, have good knees and a good back (to push/back up an 800 pound bike), the RK is a fantastic machine. These bikes are big but surprisingly easy to handle and ride. Take it slow n easy for the first few rides and use common sense and you'll be just fine. You're a big guy so you will fit much better on the full sized Touring bike than any of the others.

I had an '05 EGC prior to this RK and I don't regret going with a RK at all. If I want music I've got my iPod and ear buds. The windshield on a RK does just as good a job with the wind and cold as my EGC with fairing did. And I love to be able to pop that windshield off for around town rides.

I say go for it and let us know how you like it...

Old 06-18-2011, 04:35 PM
Reverend
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnTM
I am basically asking if it is stretching my expectations to start off with a Road King?... I'm 6', 220#, 63 years here, did the motorcycle class last month and have my license...I don't want to get a motorcycle too small and trade it next year for my dream bike...I did ride a Harley Sprint H in 69-70 when I was in the Air Force in Charleston
Firstly, experience on two wheels is far more important here, NOT the model of Harley.

Would you feel happy letting your grandson/daughter ride a Hyabusa under similar circumstances?

Of course you wouldn't.

Don't put yourself in a position where you can kill someone else or yourself through inexperience - you can still enjoy riding whatever model you choose, but please choose one that wouldn't take the upper hand.

Old 06-18-2011, 04:50 PM
Oleathlaobhair
Advanced

On May 5th I went to Laconia Harley to buy a 2011 RKC, I found the 2 Tone Rootbeer Brown RKC, Looked at it and turned to my buddy and said, "I think it's too big for me" The largest and heaviest bike I've ever ridden was my 82 Honda Silverwing, Around half the weight of the RKC, I am 5' 10", 49 years old and was 260lbs. at that time.
I bought it, My first ride on it was the 2 hour ride home from the dealer on May 7th., In the rain. It took a little time to get used to the size and weight, about an hour and a half, It gets better every time I ride. I wanted the RKC and I got it, I love it!!!!
Get what you want, You won't regret it, You will probably regret it if you get a different model when what you want is the Road King Classic.
(Just my 2 cents)
Good luck with it!!!
Joseph
P.S. The last time I rode a bike before May 7th was around 1994.

Last edited by Oleathlaobhair; 06-18-2011 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Added P.S.
Old 06-18-2011, 05:13 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

JohnTM, If you are 6 ft 220 lbs, you will fit nicely on the Road King. Just take it easy until you get the feel of it. A heavy bike can be scary at first. I think buying one too small for you is more dangerous! I love my Road King! I only wish I had waited until 2011 and got the RKC with the 103 and Root beer color. Good luck and welcome to HD forums!!

Old 06-18-2011, 05:28 PM
HalfFast
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like the OP, I started riding young and then took some time off and got back into it. I started out on a Super Glide and thought I would work my way up to a RK. My mistake. I should have just started with a RK and saved the bucks that I lost in the trade from the SG to the RK.
In my opinion, there is no better all around bike than a RK. You can strip em down for around town or, in a matter of minutes, have it all dressed up for full tour long rides. A lot of my friends have EGs and UGs and they envy my ability to be able to strip down from full tour bike to windshieldless around town cruiser.
Go with the RK.....You will be glad that you did. Oh and add a few more bucks to your down payment and buy it straight out.

Old 06-18-2011, 05:53 PM
Ole T Sport
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You only live once, go for it. Most grown men have a RoadKing at the top of their bucket list. Get a new shiny one and don't look back. Girls, not women will look at you like never before. As for the Rev., if you do go, at least you'll be sliding sideways and grinning.
Practice in a big parking lot, stay away from freeways.... watch out for the torque, when you twist the throttle, its very intimidating.
And the biggest thing of all stay away from this forum... They'll have you modifying your RK and draining your wallet. The new RKs all have the 103, the SE Stage II kit will make it pull like a tractor and will only add a few dollars to each months payment, when you do it before pick-up, Just kidding, its your bike , have fun.

Old 06-18-2011, 06:20 PM
JohnTM
Tourer
Default Thank you for the advice

Yes, indeed the Road King Classic has been on my bucket list for a long time. My wife of 39 years passed 6 months ago. I was her caregiver for the last 10 years. I'm now free and all alone to let my spirit go wherever it takes me.
I did not know a dealer might deliver to my home (20 miles away).
I sure would feel better starting in my small neighborhood streets and not have to hit the highway from dealer to home. Also, there are many empty parking lots here to practice. I'll see what they will take as a down payment instead of putting $15K down (all my savings).

Do you think a "normal" dealer might throw in a free helmut, jacket, oil change or something for a $20K sale?

I look forward to my one day rental on Monday. But, I might chicken out and rent a Sportster or Dyna first. I am in good shape, but am sure a first timer would feel somewhat in awe of a RKC!

Old 06-18-2011, 06:30 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnTM
Yes, indeed the Road King Classic has been on my bucket list for a long time. My wife of 39 years passed 6 months ago. I was her caregiver for the last 10 years. I'm now free and all alone to let my spirit go wherever it takes me.
I did not know a dealer might deliver to my home (20 miles away).
I sure would feel better starting in my small neighborhood streets and not have to hit the highway from dealer to home. Also, there are many empty parking lots here to practice. I'll see what they will take as a down payment instead of putting $15K down (all my savings).

Do you think a "normal" dealer might throw in a free helmut, jacket, oil change or something for a $20K sale?

I look forward to my one day rental on Monday. But, I might chicken out and rent a Sportster or Dyna first. I am in good shape, but am sure a first timer would feel somewhat in awe of a RKC!
Sorry about your wife John, But like you said, you are free now to do as you please. I don't know about the free stuff. You can try and deal for some. Do yourself a favor, order the video...Ride like a Pro. You'll never regret buying it. Lot's of good tips!! Good luck with your new RKC.

Old 06-18-2011, 06:30 PM
m361
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 3 Posts

The first bike I ever rode on (as the driver) is a Road King. Loved that bike, and it was very versatile. It was a great bike to learn on. Definitely a bit intimidating because it is so heavy, but once you get over that it is great. I'd say go for it! Oh...and you might want to go ahead and get a spare set of crash bars so once you are good on it, you can put on the un-scarred bars. I dropped my RK numerous times, but I certainly learned a lot every time. Another benefit of the Road King...love those crash bars.

Old 06-18-2011, 06:38 PM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

Most new riders drop their bike several times in the process of learning how to do slow speed maneuvers, tight turns, stopping on a side slopes/gravel shoulder and other things. I'm not talking crashes but rather slow speed drops at 5mph. For this reason you may want to buy a cheap, lighter weight (400lb) beater of a bike and ride it for 6 months before you get your road king. It's also a lot harder to learn on a heavy bike. You'll also shed a lot fewer tears the first time you drop it and put some scratches on it if it is already scratched compared to a brand new Road King with pristine paint. You can pick up something like a used Vulcan 500 for < 1/10th the cost of a road king and sell it six months latter for nearly what you paid for it.

Last edited by fat_tony; 06-18-2011 at 06:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Is a Road King ever a first