Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a Road King ever a first

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 10:17 AM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by shortride
If you don't care anything about listening to music and don't think you will need any extra storage, a Road King Classic is a great choice. If I hadn't been so spoiled with a full dresser touring scoot with all of the amenities I would still be riding my Road King Classic and I still miss it sometime when I think about being able to take the windshield off every once in a while.

I'm 65 and still loving every moment I can ride.
I added a tour-pak, tour-pak bag and faired lowers to my RK, storage is no problem. Tunes courtesy an ipod and a Sena SMH10

Good to see you're still loving riding at 65!

Old 06-23-2011, 10:21 AM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

To the OP, at your size the King will be no problem. Shop around, with 15K cash in hand you could probably buy a nice lightly used RK. I do recommend ABS, it's very good insurance against noob mistakes and bad drivers.

And thanks for mentioning The Old Man and the Harley, I just had Amazon deliver it to my Kindle.

Old 06-23-2011, 02:26 PM
HDSkeeter
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the new purchase. I just traded in my 08 Rocker -C last week for 2011 RK and loving it. Previous bikes were 2000 1200C Sporster, 07 Yamaha V-Star 1300...which promted me to go look at RKs in 2008 but got captivated by the look of the Rocker and never even test rode the RK...my mistake. Dropped mega bucks on the Rocker C with added upgrades...loved the attention I got on the bike but hated riding it for any long periods. The RK is the best decision I have made in a long time. Easy to ride compared to the sluggish turning Rocker. Will update signature with RK soon.

Old 06-23-2011, 05:19 PM
JohnTM
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first ride

Between the thunderstorms, but on dry road, I took my first very short 1/2 hour ride in my new RKC. What a wonderful feeling of being free and out in the open. Three is so much to see. I'm waiting for the DVD mentioned here from Amazon and will call the MSP to take an advanced riding class. But, I must say that I had no troubles. I'm glad the book "The old man and the Harley" was of interest. I met the author this month in Denver. What a wonderful gentleman. No one ever told me about the engine noise in my garage when I returned. It sounded like a miniature mechanic in the engine tapping a small hammer. I expect this is normal for the first few rides. Or does it always do it? I was going the speed limit up a small hill in a no passing zone and a young looking person passed me. I sure he wanted to feel superior by knowing he passed a Harley. I thought nothing of this. I watched in the mirrors and am sure even if I was going over the speed limit he still would have passed me!

Old 06-23-2011, 06:51 PM
Oleathlaobhair
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2011 RKC has the tapping sound also, It seems less noticeable since I had the 1000 mile service done, I noticed the sound in some youtube videos of the 2011 RKC also, I figure it's normal. If not, The dealer should have told me, I would think.
I let people pass me all the time, I know I just have to roll the throttle and I can leave them in the dust, I am out to enjoy the scenery and my sweet new bike, Not race. Enjoy your awesome RKC!!!

Old 06-23-2011, 06:52 PM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,747 Likes on 982 Posts

Ok JohnTM now that you got the bike of your dreams get a set of
heritage style handle bars so that your neck and sholders won't
start hurting. You wont have to change out your wires or cables.
Then get a more comfortable seat, oh yeah the list gose on but
I aint gunna bogart the whole thing I'll let some other HDForum
members have a whack at telling you how to spend YOUR money
LOL Just funnin with you. I am very proud for you and happy with
you.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:17 PM
Rick Lees
Road Captain

Originally Posted by JohnTM
Yes, indeed the Road King Classic has been on my bucket list for a long time. My wife of 39 years passed 6 months ago. I was her caregiver for the last 10 years. I'm now free and all alone to let my spirit go wherever it takes me.
I did not know a dealer might deliver to my home (20 miles away).
I sure would feel better starting in my small neighborhood streets and not have to hit the highway from dealer to home. Also, there are many empty parking lots here to practice. I'll see what they will take as a down payment instead of putting $15K down (all my savings).

Do you think a "normal" dealer might throw in a free helmut, jacket, oil change or something for a $20K sale?

I look forward to my one day rental on Monday. But, I might chicken out and rent a Sportster or Dyna first. I am in good shape, but am sure a first timer would feel somewhat in awe of a RKC!
Its hard to find a decent dealer these days so don't count much on that but
you can handle the RK once you let that clutch out and get your feet on the boards you will think to yourself.....SELF I knew I could do it. And your wife will be on it with you helping in every way just like you helped her. I was off a bike for 25 years and went and looked at a Street Glide fell in love with it,took a safety class and learned stuff I didn't know and knew stuff I thought I forgot so just remember the front break is 70% of your stopping and your clutch friction zone is your friend. My prayers to you and your family I know its tough so hang in there .

Old 06-23-2011, 09:26 PM
cromagnon
Grand HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

John, glad you got a King.

That tapping sound is normal and it will never go away. If you pulled your car in and listened under the hood you would here the same thing. It's hot metal cooling down.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:33 PM
ehans
Tourer

Originally Posted by Twinrider
To the OP, at your size the King will be no problem. Shop around, with 15K cash in hand you could probably buy a nice lightly used RK. I do recommend ABS, it's very good insurance against noob mistakes and bad drivers.
It isn't just for noobs. No one can anticipate everyting but a computer can execute 100% of the time perfectly. I sacrificed a color choice I wanted for ABS and will never own a bike sans ABS.

Old 06-24-2011, 12:17 AM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I am soon to be 51. I always thought the road King was really a great looking bike and after having a 07 fat boy and trading it in on a 2011 road King classic, I like the look and ride very much.

Can't go wrong with a king.

Quick Reply: Is a Road King ever a first