Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

muffler coloring?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011 | 01:16 PM
last12know
|
Road Master
Veteran: Air Force
Default muffler coloring?

yesterday a guy i work with pointed out that my bike was doing the same thing as his... i asked what? that the muffler is yellowing and coloring about a foot or so from the exhaust (open) end.

doesn't bother how the bike runs but it is starting to look odd.. have little over 8xxx miles on a 2010 sg. and i like the stocker as it's noticeably more quiet than my 70 xlch boattail with drag pipes.

i can only imagine it's going to get worse. i figure it's just another sign of being ridden. so i was wondering if it happens to all the new bikes with the cat?

Old 06-18-2011 | 01:29 PM
WolfDog
Road Master

My limited did the same thing last summer.. Suckers just run too Hot..... My right side yellowed about 8 inches from the muffler tip and started moving forward, chrome cover over the cat started to yellow, and front of muffler where it balloons out began to blue.

After Hot Springs rally last year that crap came off, went with Power Duals, Monster Rounds, A/C and canned MA on PCV.... No more worries..

I remember some guys last year claimed they had the mufflers changed out on warranty from the dealer, but Why? I'm sure they did the same thing.... Its the heat....

Ride On.....

Old 06-18-2011 | 02:24 PM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior

mine yellow. don't have a CAT so thats not the cause. Agree that it might be heat related. Just another spot to put a chrome heat shield on.

Old 06-18-2011 | 02:40 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member

It basically happens to all exhausts, except anything with double wall construction with an air gap in between. The coloring is the result of the chemical reaction between the oxygen in the air and the mufller housing as it aproaches the critical temperature of the material the muffler is made out of, and/or its chrome plating. It will continue to change colors over time from yellow,gold,blue,purple, depending on the base metal composition, the chrome process and quality of chemicals used, and how hot it gets.

Old 06-18-2011 | 02:59 PM
last12know
|
Road Master

so it's basically a crummy chrome job? doesn't really bother anything as far as i can see... not really any point of changing it out if it's just gonna happen again i guess.

what made me question it was it's traveling backwards on the exhaust.. kinda figured it'd come from the front of the muffler back.. i know my head pipes are colored just didn't think the muffler behind the cat should be.

thanks for the replies

Old 06-18-2011 | 03:13 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by last12know
so it's basically a crummy chrome job? doesn't really bother anything as far as i can see... not really any point of changing it out if it's just gonna happen again i guess.

what made me question it was it's traveling backwards on the exhaust.. kinda figured it'd come from the front of the muffler back.. i know my head pipes are colored just didn't think the muffler behind the cat should be.

thanks for the replies
No, I'm not necessarily saying it's a crummy chrome job, but the quality of the chrome is a factor. Personall I don't even consider bluing a problem, it's just a natural occurance that really can't be avoided, so I don't concern myself with it. I have a catless FM 2:1 headpipe with stock muffler, and it's doing the same thing yours is, aging.

Old 06-18-2011 | 03:24 PM
last12know
|
Road Master

so it's a by product of use... and that i don't have a problem with. hmmm..

wonder if i could ebay it as a "custom aged exhaust with experience" for that broken in hue needed to complete the look wanted for the discriminating motorcycle enthusiast?

Old 06-18-2011 | 03:30 PM
NoCoLoco
Road Warrior

It all depends on the quality of the muffler and how much it restricts exhaust flow.

Old 06-18-2011 | 04:37 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by last12know
so it's a by product of use... and that i don't have a problem with. hmmm..

wonder if i could ebay it as a "custom aged exhaust with experience" for that broken in hue needed to complete the look wanted for the discriminating motorcycle enthusiast?
Right on, I like your thought process, but I believe HD already claimed the best marketing term "distressed". I think "weathered" and "seasoned" are still up for grabs. I did fail to capture the other big variable which NoCoLoco hit on the head; design and flow charateristics of the muffler itself.

Old 06-18-2011 | 06:16 PM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member

I had the same problem with one of the mufflers I just pit on my bike. They were used, and the right side was showing some yellow at the throat. A little Simichrome cream took care of it and restored it to like new.

Quick Reply: muffler coloring?