Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Preferred Oil

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 10:37 PM
Mac57
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Preferred Oil

ORIGINAL: pococj

Time to correct what seems to be a common misconception:

Syn 3 HD oil is a synthetic. It is not a blend. It has never been a blend. It is a Group III synthetic oil, meaning that it is a hydro-cracked "dino" oil. It is considered synthetic because the refining process so changes the molecular structure that it is essentially identical to "regular" synthetic oil. This basically means that each molecule is identical to every other molecule, and all are "long-chain" molecules.

Where many feel Syn 3 falls short is that it doesn't measure up to the better synthetics, especially those in Group IV and Group V. Given that Syn 3's price is usually higher than Mobil 1, redline, Amsoil, etc., it seems foolish to many to spend the extra money on a proven inferior product.

Another aspect of Syn 3 that disturbs many is that it is manufactured by CITGO, a subsidiary of the state-owned oil company of Venezuela, whose current leader wishes ill to the US.

If you want an easy to find spare quart to carry with you, grab some of the Mobil 1 15w-50 car oil. It's a better oil than Syn 3, available just about everywhere, and there isn't enough difference between it and the Mobil 1 V-Twin 20w-50 to justify the latter's much higher price.
I stand corrected. Thanks pococj. You da man.

Old 11-03-2006, 11:22 PM
nick@nite
Road Warrior
Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

I tried that, but kept pulling over to buy Popcorn............................

Old 11-03-2006, 11:47 PM
Indianspringsaz
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Where is Harley saying not to use Syn 3 in all holes?

Old 11-04-2006, 02:01 AM
dstockton
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Indianspringsaz

Where is Harley saying not to use Syn 3 in all holes?
My 06 Ultra owners manual and factory service manual both state to use the Formula Plus Transmission and Primary lube in both the gear box and primary. That's what I'm going by.

Old 11-04-2006, 09:22 AM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I can't find Mobile 1 V-twin at any retail location where I live. I've tried Autozone, Advance, Walmart, nobody carries it. I wish they did.
My local Autozone had it in the back,I had to ask for it.
[/quote]
https://www.hdforums.com/m_433337/tm.htm

Old 11-04-2006, 08:48 PM
Indianspringsaz
Road Master

The 07 take the same oil in all three. Someone was saying that Harley "cooled on that idea". Where is that printed? Anyone...

Old 11-04-2006, 09:21 PM
Bill918
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Amsoil MCV 20-50 in all three holes. If you go their HD page, they recommend it as a first choice over their gear oil in the tranny.

Old 11-04-2006, 09:23 PM
flashprez
Club Member
Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Do like I did. I became an Amsoil Dealer for $10 for six months. I was able to order the oils at whole sale prices. I ordered cases of oil, and severe gear, and oil filters to last for several years. The severe gear I ordered 3 years ago for $9qt is now $16, and the oil has gone from $6 to $9.50. I still have one case left, so that will do me another 6-10 months.

Old 11-04-2006, 11:17 PM
Indianspringsaz
Road Master

The 07 take the same oil in all three. Someone was saying that Harley "cooled on that idea". Where is that printed? Anyone...

Old 11-04-2006, 11:33 PM
flashprez
Club Member
Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Dina from MoCo called me yesterday because I made made so many complaints about my bike. She ask me if I had them put Syn 3 in all my holes and I said I had. She informed me that I needed to take it back and have them put formula plus in it at their cost. I had aready changed it to Amsoil severe gear 70w-140( I did not let her know). I let dealer do 1st service because I was having so much trouble with the bike I did not won't to mess up warranty. After finding out the MoCo was not going to do anything for me I will now install PC111, Kerker slipons, Arlen Ness Big Sucker, to start making my bike run like a HD is supposed to.

Quick Reply: Preferred Oil