Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King Police

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011 | 11:46 AM
BenGurion
|
Cruiser
Default Road King Police

Ive made the decision to move up to a RK. I just listed my 08 Heritage for sale, and as soon as it goes, im getting a RK.

Ive been researching RKs. Looked at RK, RKC, and seeing the RK Police model.

Ive noticed the Police model tends to be less money. I know that its probably because of the use they get when in service, but..ive seen some 2010s under 6000 miles, and they are listed $14-15k. I could understand it if they had high service miles. But, under 6000 miles?

They have the heritage bars, 103, and ABS. Exactly the features I want and my reason to move to the RK.

So my question is, why would a RK Police model that has low miles be so much less than a similarly equiped RKC? (103, ABS, etc)

Also, any general thoughts opinions on the Police model would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-18-2011 | 11:52 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member

You can easily make it yours...the thing is it will alwayts be a "P" bike but if you keep it for a long time who gives a rats ***? They are nice bike and i wouldn't flinch at buying one. Hell of a deal on a lots of them out there...

Old 06-18-2011 | 11:56 AM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member

Low miles does not necessarily equal easy use for a police bike. How ever if it looks and checks out OK I would not have an issue with one.

They have extra wiring you will deal with or eliminate at the controls. Most people want to change seat, get rid of the hockey pucks and other non-civilian accessories. They normally do not come in the popular new colors either. Last of all HD discounts these to the departments through the dealers so I would guess they keep them lower based on the original factory discount and let Joe-consumer change the look.

Old 06-18-2011 | 11:57 AM
BenGurion
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Notgrownup
You can easily make it yours...the thing is it will alwayts be a "P" bike but if you keep it for a long time who gives a rats ***? They are nice bike and i wouldn't flinch at buying one. Hell of a deal on a lots of them out there...
whats the down side for it always being a "P" bike?

Old 06-18-2011 | 12:02 PM
PauleyB
Cruiser

I got my Road King Police semi de-copped. Basically, the tires were replaced with stock dunlops and it had a stock seat on it. It is a fine starting point and you do get some nice extra's that would normally cost you more (abs, oil cooler, etc...). The indy that does the work that is beyond my capability told me that most cop bikes are ridden hard but have usually been meticulously maintained. After putting stage 1 and some mild cams in mine, it really runs nice and now I can start working on cosmetics. It has been a fun project so far. You will love the King and the police bikes are a great value.

Old 06-18-2011 | 09:58 PM
racinghoss
Road Captain

I bought a 2005 Road King Police a couple weeks ago. I have put a little more than 500 miles on it and I can find no reason why I should have paid more money for a non-police model. Mine is all black, already had Stage 1, new tires, ABS, serviced, Sundowner seat, passenger boards, battery minder, etc. It only had 7000 miles, too. I paid several thousand less for it than a similar non-police bike would have cost at a dealership.

Get one, de-cop it a bit (get rid of the pucks, etc) and you will have a nice bike.

I think the "p" may de-value the bike a bit in terms of trade in value, but I plan to ride this bike around 8-10k miles per year, so I needed a low mileage bike that I could ride for a few years. I plan to keep it at least that long, so the effects of the "p" did not bother me.

Old 06-19-2011 | 07:05 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by BenGurion
whats the down side for it always being a "P" bike?
If you don't want to keep it for long it won't re-sell as high as a regular bike and the "Perceived" abuse it may have received...I have heard both from LEO's ...They get maintained pretty well...I saw at the dealer last year a 1 year old Police Road King with 600 miles for $14000.00 I WOULD SAY THAT'S A PRETTY GOOD DEAL.
Other than that wiring, puck, seat...no biggie.

Old 06-19-2011 | 07:17 AM
BackAt5O
Tourer

You can buy the cop bikes new from a dealer but the warranty starts the day they are delivered to the dealer. I bought my 07 in April of 08 with 2 miles on it, the warranty ran out in May of 09. I gave $14.5 for it. My brother bought his 09 in March 2010 with a little over a 100 miles on it, the warranty will run out in October 2011. He gave $14.5 and got the first service free.

Old 06-19-2011 | 08:10 AM
2001NightTrain
Cruiser

Bought my new 2011 FLHP road king police new with 2 miles on it and never looked back. Every time I look at it I say damn I love that bike...it's vivid black. I have added Vance and Hines big shots tur duels, fuel moto stage one kit and fuel moto power commander V, street glide seat and back rest and four point docking station. I have a king tour pack and Kuryakyn quick adjust pak relocator on order and I'm done...yeah right...for now. My point is you don't have to do any mods or just a few and you have an awesome bike. Best of luck with your purchase.

Old 06-19-2011 | 08:42 AM
BenGurion
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 2001NightTrain
Bought my new 2011 FLHP road king police new with 2 miles on it and never looked back. Every time I look at it I say damn I love that bike...it's vivid black. I have added Vance and Hines big shots tur duels, fuel moto stage one kit and fuel moto power commander V, street glide seat and back rest and four point docking station. I have a king tour pack and Kuryakyn quick adjust pak relocator on order and I'm done...yeah right...for now. My point is you don't have to do any mods or just a few and you have an awesome bike. Best of luck with your purchase.
do you mind sharing what you paid?

Quick Reply: Road King Police