Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King Police

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011 | 05:46 PM
2001NightTrain
Cruiser

Ocezam

Thanks. I appreciate the link. I'm familiar with the retired police bikes forum. The forum is not very active at all. While there are a few tips to be found...the members, active participation and useful recent information are a fraction of this site. When you compare this site to others...there is no comparison for getting real time updated information/interaction. Many members there are also members here, but here is where they hang out.

Again, I really do appreciate your assistance and the link.

Old 06-19-2011 | 06:58 PM
ocezam
Road Master

There aren't enough people riding P models for it to be very active, and there isn't enough difference with the P models either. I mean how many times can you discuss the pros and cons of hockey pucks.

Personally I think the P model, whether Road King or Electra Glide, is the best kept secret around. They were great buys in '06 and earlier models. Starting in '07 with the 103" standard they are simply screaming deals! IMHO.

I love my FLHTP!

Old 06-19-2011 | 07:28 PM
2001NightTrain
Cruiser

I'm with ya ocezam, but how about seat mods and fitment, tour pak fitment-that one is a bear I'm still fighting with, electrical differences, saddlebag inserts-that are cool but not $160, tach issues and fitment issues because of the tach, adding cruise control?...you get my point.

I love my FLHP and want no other, but there are a lot of things, some minor, that are unique about the cop bikes and especially for someone new to the cop bikes. I've had a lot of bikes and this is not my first Harley, but it's my first cop bike and I have had a lot of questions. I have also found the proud cop bike owners like you and I love to talk about their bikes.

Thanks again. Enjoy your ride..

Old 06-19-2011 | 09:06 PM
BenGurion
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by ocezam
There aren't enough people riding P models for it to be very active, and there isn't enough difference with the P models either. I mean how many times can you discuss the pros and cons of hockey pucks.

Personally I think the P model, whether Road King or Electra Glide, is the best kept secret around. They were great buys in '06 and earlier models. Starting in '07 with the 103" standard they are simply screaming deals! IMHO.

This is what im starting to think...so..whats the best way to find a new or barely used 2009 - 2011? Cycletrader doesnt have many...

Old 06-19-2011 | 11:13 PM
ReidRik_Von
Road Captain

FWIW, I picked up my 09 FLHP last fall from Town & COuntry/Cement City HD in MI with 882 miles. THey had several that they were selling on Ebay and made mention to call them for other bikes which I did.

Old 06-20-2011 | 05:02 AM
Moosestache
Cruiser

Ok, I just bought a 2010 FLHP with 4000 miles, the dealer had it listed for $14000 and I bought it for less than that. It is still under warranty until February. Just a couple things I have found going through this.

Most police departments trade out their bikes at regular intervals, every year, every two years etc. They usually use the same dealership every time. I was told by someone who works for Harley that either a dealership is "in the cop bike business or not". If they are in it, they get regular turn in bikes and know ahead of time what is coming in. Up here in Northern New England there aren't that many police departments that use bikes so there are only a couple dealerships that get many of these in. Find these dealerships and you can grab a bike.

Next, 2010 bikes and newer for sure, and maybe earlier, don't have the run flat tires, so it is much less of an issue to swap over to a two up setup. If you want to run two up you can either get a passenger seat and keep the cop seat or remove the air seat, which took me maybe 1/2 an hour, and put on a take off seat, I used a 2010 road glide seat I got for under $100, it goes on just like on a regular bike.

Not all cop bikes have ABS, the dealership I bought mine from said none of their departments used them, other dealership that sells them had some with abs and some without, so I guess I wouldn't assume your bike will have it without checking.

The only thing I would sort of warn about is the little things, and figuring out what is the same and what is different. I removed the radio tray, but then couldn't figure a good place to put the license plate, so it is back on for the time being. I have posted here and at the retired police bike forum and gotten lots of help, but there just aren't that many bikes out there to always know exactly what part will work where. Also, if you want to go two up you have to get the passenger pegs and the backrest bracket and the backrest/sissybar. Things just seem to add up, but I guess that is part of the fun, and is the same with a non-police bike.

In the end, I got a great deal on a great bike and I would do it again in a heart beat.

PS if you buy one, have the dealership check the clutch before you buy, I have found out some officers can work those clutches pretty hard, and I believe the clutch is considered a wear item, not covered.

Last edited by Moosestache; 06-20-2011 at 05:05 AM.
Old 06-20-2011 | 06:25 AM
BenGurion
|
Cruiser

thats good info, thanks.

Old 06-20-2011 | 06:48 AM
CoastlineAmps
Cruiser

Try http://www.allofcraigs.com/ for a used police bike and search for "Harley Police", "FLHP", "FLHT"....etc some might not be dealers but the private parties sell them less than what a dealer would. Or do a Google search. I found mine doing a google search in florida and I am in alabama.

Old 06-20-2011 | 10:24 AM
HDRider2002
Road Master

I have a 2002 FLHPi, that i got with under 600 miles on it...at about a year old. I've made it my own, and honestly, other than the siren buttons on the handlebars, and the fact i left the "harley davidson police" air cleaner cover, you can't tell its a police bike unless i run my old cop bags. They are a great blank slate to customize as you see fit, and the initial cheaper price is an added bonus.

Last edited by HDRider2002; 06-20-2011 at 10:32 AM.
Old 06-20-2011 | 09:28 PM
BenGurion
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by CoastlineAmps
Try http://www.allofcraigs.com/ for a used police bike and search for "Harley Police", "FLHP", "FLHT"....etc some might not be dealers but the private parties sell them less than what a dealer would. Or do a Google search. I found mine doing a google search in florida and I am in alabama.

i just noticed youre in huntsville...so am i..what are the odds?

Quick Reply: Road King Police