Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King Police

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011 | 09:54 AM
2001NightTrain
Cruiser

Was listed at $17,995 no negotiating

I knew a guy who knew a guy and got it for $16,995. I feel that was fair...I didn't steal it and they didn't rape me.

Bottom line is that it would have been several thousand more to get the 103 engine, oil cooler, abs, and little stuff like saddle bag guard rails etc. On a non police road king.

Did I mention...I love my bike.

Old 06-19-2011 | 10:25 AM
BenGurion
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 2001NightTrain
Was listed at $17,995 no negotiating

I knew a guy who knew a guy and got it for $16,995. I feel that was fair...I didn't steal it and they didn't rape me.

Bottom line is that it would have been several thousand more to get the 103 engine, oil cooler, abs, and little stuff like saddle bag guard rails etc. On a non police road king.

Did I mention...I love my bike.
seems reasonable..so it came with the heritage bars? also..im curious why they would have a new police model for sale to the public,,why didnt it go to a PD? Or can you order a Police model anytime?

Old 06-19-2011 | 11:12 AM
2001NightTrain
Cruiser

There is a program that Harley has. Not all dealers do it...I don't know why because it's a great deal for them and the customer.

The dealer orders police bikes and has to have them available for sale to law enforcement agencies that need new bikes or just need to replace one or whatever...after four months, if no agency has purchased the bike...the dealer can sell it to the general public, minus the police lights. Some dealers, like the one I bought from orders a bunch of them, knowing the various agencies won't need them and then sells them all to the general public. Then get a variety of road kings and electric glides in different colors and everything.

Dealer makes out on the deal from Harley...buyer makes out on the sale price because it's much less than equipping a regular road king with all the options. Why every dealer wouldn't do this is beyond me.

Old 06-19-2011 | 01:28 PM
Damascus
Road Captain

There is a program that Harley has. Not all dealers do it...I don't know why because it's a great deal for them and the customer.

The dealer orders police bikes and has to have them available for sale to law enforcement agencies that need new bikes or just need to replace one or whatever...after four months, if no agency has purchased the bike...the dealer can sell it to the general public, minus the police lights. Some dealers, like the one I bought from orders a bunch of them, knowing the various agencies won't need them and then sells them all to the general public. Then get a variety of road kings and electric glides in different colors and everything.

Dealer makes out on the deal from Harley...buyer makes out on the sale price because it's much less than equipping a regular road king with all the options. Why every dealer wouldn't do this is beyond me.
That's exactly how I got mine. An 09 103 ABS RKP in vivid black with 1,200 miles on it for about $16,000 or so. If it ever was abused as a police demo, it never showed because at 10,000 miles it runs like a top and the average guy has to look pretty hard to figure out it was a cop bike.

I was about to drop way more money on another bike I'd have to add everything to when I happened to look over and ask, hey, what's that?

For me this one's a long-term if not life-time keeper because it's got everything I want in a tourer and looks great. The resale issue (or myth) is no factor here.

Old 06-19-2011 | 02:25 PM
Captain Itch
Sponsor

For me cop bikes are the way to go I currently own a 06 and a 07..The 06 had 3,000 miles on the clock and the 07 had 600 miles.Together they are up around 70,000 trouble free miles..I just found a 2011 with 0 miles that will come available July 1st for under $15,000...I been thinking pretty hard about this one..

Old 06-19-2011 | 02:45 PM
2001NightTrain
Cruiser

Wow capt. For 15,000 I'd be all over that...sounds unbelievable. Best of luck with whatever decision you make. You obviously already know their value.

Curious, have you added a powerlet or any other electronic devices to your cop bikes?

Old 06-19-2011 | 03:03 PM
Captain Itch
Sponsor

Wow capt. For 15,000 I'd be all over that...sounds unbelievable. Best of luck with whatever decision you make. You obviously already know their value.

Curious, have you added a powerlet or any other electronic devices to your cop bikes?
The only electrical stuff I have ever changed out was added a GPS to both bikes and a fused 12 volt plug ending up in the Left hand bag on each bike to charge my phone..

Old 06-19-2011 | 03:17 PM
B-Sweet
Cruiser

Hubby as 92 Police bike and it has about 49K and has been trouble free.
It is very well balanced and he kept the pucks he likes them because he can get in the bags while going down the road. The run flat tires came with his and he liked them but when they got low on tread he went to standard tires becausee the run flats were very expensive.
Enjoy and ride safe.

Old 06-19-2011 | 03:40 PM
2001NightTrain
Cruiser

Capt. Your electrically mods are exactly what I'm looking to do. Do you kind sharing your details? Possibly with tips/pics. You can pm me so as not to jack this thread or do it here if you thi k it will help everyone.

I think we should have a cops bike specific section...dont you think?

Thanks

Old 06-19-2011 | 04:20 PM
ocezam
Road Master

Capt. Your electrically mods are exactly what I'm looking to do. Do you kind sharing your details? Possibly with tips/pics. You can pm me so as not to jack this thread or do it here if you thi k it will help everyone.
I think we should have a cops bike specific section...dont you think?
Thanks
http://www.retiredpolicebikes.com/Forums/

Quick Reply: Road King Police