Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Lever / Clutch Cable Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 03:14 PM
adam4766
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Lever / Clutch Cable Questions

i have a 2011 flhtk with the 103 ci motor. after about 500 miles or so i started noticing that if i let the clutch lever out and was on the throttle and then let off the throttle and let the engine "brake" that it would snap the clutch lever to its full out position. basically it would remove all the freeplay in the cable and pull the clutch lever to its full out position. the faster you let off the throttle or the harder the engine braked the harder it snapped the lever. you could hear the lever snap over the radio so it was quite noticeable. so i started playing with the lever and how it reacted. if you held on the clutch lever just enough to remove the freeplay and got onto the throttle the clutch lever would pull in towards the handlebar. if you let off the throttle it would be pulled away from the handlebar. i took it back to the dealership twice and had them look at it. they ended up setting my clutch with the bare minimum freeplay (1/16" measured at the back of the lever housing between the housing and the cable). to me this is not right. they are saying it is normal because of the motor moving. i work on cars and trucks and the reason behind a cable and not linkage is so that the motor can move and not affect how the component works. throttle cables in cars dont rev the motor higher or lower as the engine torques. i am just looking for inputs or if anyone else has seen or heard of this problem. thank you for your help. if you have any other questions i will answer them the best i can. the bike now has 2500 miles on it and it still does this. adam

Old 06-18-2011, 04:52 AM
neverhme
Cruiser

adam, my 2010 clutch will not stay constant either, I've adjusted per service manual. Ride for a day and lever play would move to various positions, almost seems temperature related, next day would be back to originaly adjusted position. I just adjust at the clutch pack, seemed to cure most of it, be sure cable has a lil end play (1/8) and pull side cover, turn adjuster in slight snug, and lock it there, you're done. Been 500 miles, staying constant, no slippage.

Old 06-18-2011, 06:40 AM
gwvulcan
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by neverhme
adam, my 2010 clutch will not stay constant either, I've adjusted per service manual. Ride for a day and lever play would move to various positions, almost seems temperature related, next day would be back to originaly adjusted position. I just adjust at the clutch pack, seemed to cure most of it, be sure cable has a lil end play (1/8) and pull side cover, turn adjuster in slight snug, and lock it there, you're done. Been 500 miles, staying constant, no slippage.
Same thing happened on my 10. Adjust the clutch and free play 5000 mi ago and everything has been fine. Not sure what the dealer did to begin with, but glad it is fixed

Old 06-19-2011, 08:45 AM
adam4766
Stage III

i didnt buy a service manual yet as i bought the extended warranty. my friend has a service manual so i'll figure out if i work on it if that is going to void the warranty. i can understand there being changes in the amount of freeplay due to temperature. but not the clutch lever being snapped back. when you let the clutch out it should fully release wether you are on or off the throttle. i have never heard of or seen a rpm related release. if i'm trying to explain that properly. i'm going on a 2500 mile road trip in three weeks and then i'll be due for my 5000 mile service. so i think i'll wait to monkey with it til after that service and when i don't have a long trip planned. it never fails that something goes wrong if you try doing anything before a long trip. lol. thank you guys for your input.