Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Glide Fairing Paint fading

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 12:00 PM
rdglider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road Glide Fairing Paint fading

Has anyone else had their Road Glide inner fairing turn to dry grey at the inside near the ends of the windshield?

My 09 has lost all its paint right where the windshield ends and on the inside edge. I can get black back if i wax it but it goes away immediately,

Is it the poor finish or what can anyone suggest a fix?.

I ride in the rain and it seems the water is running off my W/S..

Old 06-17-2011, 12:50 PM
o-matt
Advanced

Originally Posted by rdglider
Has anyone else had their Road Glide inner fairing turn to dry grey at the inside near the ends of the windshield?

My 09 has lost all its paint right where the windshield ends and on the inside edge. I can get black back if i wax it but it goes away immediately,

Is it the poor finish or what can anyone suggest a fix?.

I ride in the rain and it seems the water is running off my W/S..
If you mean the stock black plastic inner, try using Mother's Back to Black. It's a solid product and will really make it look new again...but like everything else, it won't last forever. Same thing happened to parts of my inner fairing on my last bike. Applying back to black each time I waxed helped keep it looking nice. Not many other options but to get it painted or replaced.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:50 PM
pargenz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Try living down in the SW and see how that happens with the sun. See a lot of 'em like that. The fix seems to be paint.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:09 PM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

+1 - the inner fairing faded on my RG after about a year. Back-to-Black turned out to be the best at making in less noticeable, but had to be reapplied after every wash. Kinda aggravating....

Old 06-17-2011, 02:19 PM
vickers1
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

This paint matches the Electraglide and Street Glide inner fairings and probably the Road Glides too. I had my outer fairing off and loosely taped off everything I didn't want sprayed. Just mist it on the bad places.

Attached Thumbnails Road Glide Fairing Paint fading-diplicolor.jpg  
Old 06-17-2011, 03:13 PM
ptl203
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My buddy just had his replaced under warranty. His is an 09 RG. Once his replacement one came in, he had it painted before the dealership installed it on his bike.

Old 06-17-2011, 06:57 PM
1pkraft
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's worth having your dealer look at it. Mine replaced inner fairing under warranty on my wife's '09 Street Glide due to white specks beginning to appear around the gauges.

She opted to get the painted one instead of the stock flat black for about $250 difference - labor to remove and install new painted one all covered under warranty.

Old 06-18-2011, 07:25 AM
mcfarland1286
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 1pkraft
It's worth having your dealer look at it. Mine replaced inner fairing under warranty on my wife's '09 Street Glide due to white specks beginning to appear around the gauges.

She opted to get the painted one instead of the stock flat black for about $250 difference - labor to remove and install new painted one all covered under warranty.

I was given the same option by my dealer when they replaced my inner under warranty, I stuck with the stock replacement, could kick myself in the a$$ now for that choice.

Old 06-18-2011, 07:35 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

http://www.303products.com/shop303/i...protectant.cfm

Use this stuff on a non-weathered inner fairing and it will stay black forever. Just wipe it down about once a month. My 09 fairing looks better now then when I bought the bike new.

Old 06-18-2011, 07:42 AM
Bigwillie
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

s100 engine brite , spray it let it dry then wipe any overspry, works on leather, plastic . and last for 2 months, i wash my bike at least once a week and it last`s

Quick Reply: Road Glide Fairing Paint fading