Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To ESP or Not ESP: That's the Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 12:00 AM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

I have followed Consumers reports on the value of service contracts/extended warranties as being a poor return on $.

From cars, motorcycles, appliances to computers over the years I have never had a single out of warranty expense in the last 50 years. I would have spent a small fortune had I purchased any

The folks that sell them use the statistical data on what a large population of contracts will cost them and price them so that they and the selling dealer make good money.

Sure, some come out ahead but then so do some on the slot machines. Most do not.

My position is that if you can not afford to fix what ever you bought then you should not buy it.

It is so much profit that companies are now selling service contracts on you home.

I am ahead of the game and plan to stay that way.

The trend is part of the pussification of America. No one seems to be able to stand on their own and take care of business. You would think that bikers would be the last refuge of independence but that is ending.

I trade at two car dealerships and two HD dealers. They all know that when I go it to buy that they just finish the paperwork without any mention of service contracts or any other crap or I will turn around and walk.

Old 06-17-2011, 03:24 AM
smithbrl
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I think my bike was built along AMF guide lines. I experienced many problems with my bike during the factory warranty period. After about 20 months of ownership I purchased the ESP with tire and wheel coverage. We have started taking 2-3 thousand mile trips and having the bike break down on the road would be a problem but having to pay for the repairs could really put a damper on our vacation....Since the factory warranty ran out ESP has paid for a front rim,a front tire, a rear tire, a radio, fairing brackets, a primary chain, a primary chain adjuster assy, an inner primary bearing and I'm now waiting for a twist grip sensor to come in so mine can be replaced as well as having the pins replaced on the throttle body connector. All this in 6 months. I paid one $50 deductible for these repairs (excluding the tires and rim, which didn't cost anything) because all the work was done at the same time. The ESP has definitely been great for me, although I'd have been much happier if I hadn't had all this down time. The bike hasn't left me on the road yet-I've ridden it in for repairs every time it broke..... It don't take long for repair costs to exceed the price of ESP if you get the wrong kind of breakdowns like I have....ESP is a gamble. I am a financial winner and a reliability loser.

Old 06-17-2011, 04:12 AM
VTGlideRider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lh4x4
My position is that if you can not afford to fix what ever you bought then you should not buy it.
Just out of curiosity, what do you consider being able to afford to fix whatever you bought? Having enough money in the bank to fix every possible thing that could go wrong with everything you own? Its great that you have that kind of cash, I would love a bank account with thousands and thousands of dollars in it!

I don't necessarily disagree with you - companies wouldn't sell their service plans if from an actuarial standpoint they weren't making money on assuming that risk. However, you buy an ESP for basically the same reason you buy insurance - you are paying a price to limit your financial exposure and let someone else assume the risk. I don't think making that choice makes anyone "pussified", its strictly a financial decision.

You could pay $1500 or so to unload your risk for the next few years, or you could take that same money, keep it, put it in the bank in a repair fund, knowing that basically you are "self insuring" and assuming the risk yourself for any repairs over that amount because $1500 wont even come close to paying for everything that could possibly go wrong. Only after those years are over will you know if you made the right choice. In your case taking on the risk yourself worked out, which is a great thing. If you buy an ESP and never use it, you still got what you paid for - you laid off the risk on someone else, same as when you buy insurance and never use it.

Old 06-17-2011, 04:34 AM
dowhat
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jtsantes
Got off the phone with him this morning...that's why I started the thread. I assume he quoted you the same price: $1688 for 7 yrs, includes T&W, right?
Yes he did, and that was with the tire protection also. My local was 1844 w/o tire protection

Old 06-17-2011, 04:35 AM
hardwork2
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by speakerfritz
I have an 07 ultra with 10K miles. out of warranty. can I buy an ESP?
Yes you can. I was at Wilcat in London and the question came up the sales guy checked and It requires your bike being inspected by the service dept.. I have a buddy with a 02 softail that got a warranty.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:23 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

I bought the ESP for my old Road Glide.
ESP replaced the radio two times and 3 shift shaft seals.
I got my original payment back and a little more.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:10 AM
Jtsantes
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JCleary
Yeah. Whatever you do, DO NOT buy anything from San Jose HD.
That's where I bought my bike. Their prices are high. Even House of Thunder in Morgan Hill will deal with you. Did you buy from San Jose?

Old 06-17-2011, 09:10 AM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Is it safe to assume that the 7 yr plan also includes the (2) yrs of the original factory warranty, thereby making it 5 yrs of extra protection? Works out to about $350/yr ? Dang, my last Kawasaki had a 4 yr/0 deduct protection plan that cost $350. I did use it for steering head bearings at 17k miles.....

Old 06-17-2011, 09:58 AM
Bushy
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ok I have it and it has paid for itself over just with tire replacements.... was at Stealer yesterday and heard a story, seems this fellow was less then 1 month out of warranty.. he was offered a "used Bike" warranty 799.00. declined.. now the new starter and other issue he had is costing him 659.00 out of pocket... you do the math... with the used Warranty $50 deductible out of pocket...

Old 06-17-2011, 10:28 AM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by NoCoLoco
An ESP is a gamble and the odds are not in favor of the "average" rider.
That is the most profound statement on the subject I have ever heard, you Sir have attained enlightenment. I would only add; don't discount the HD and dealership weasle out factor.

Quick Reply: To ESP or Not ESP: That's the Question