Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another helmet ? for long trips

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 05:15 PM
Vt Rider
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another helmet ? for long trips

I'm heading out soon for a week long trip to Nova Scotia. I've always worn a half helmet but lately I've been noticing that the wind and rumble of the Harley are starting to wear on me during longer rides. It also makes riding in the rain less comforatable. Last weekend I road back from Americade, three plus hours in the rain.

I'm thinking of getting an open face HJC IS-33. I have a really good modular helmet made for snowmobiling but it's way to hot. I've tried it on the bike but don't like the restricted feel.

I'm torn between getting anohter helmet or just putting in ear plugs and leaving well enough alone.

For those of you that have taken longer trips what is your experience and what are you wearing?

Old 06-15-2011, 05:23 PM
flhxkiller
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I use my Bell MAG8 3/4 helmet on long trips, can't handle a full face.

Old 06-15-2011, 05:26 PM
Wassup8687
Club Member

I have the HJC IS-33 and really like it.

The built in sun visor is great so you don't have to worry about sun glasses or goggles.

Old 06-15-2011, 05:34 PM
mjharley
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wear a HJC-SY-MAX II modular full face helmet that I really like for the longer trips. Also great when it is raining. It is vented well and has a inner flip down shaded visor. Been using it now for about two years, very pleased with it.

Old 06-15-2011, 05:37 PM
VTGlideRider
Road Master

I have a Nolan N-93 with the NComm bluetooth set-up so I get my GPS audio through it. Helmet is very comfortable on long rides, is a modular, and will give u good protection.

I got caught in that rain Saturday coming from Americade also. And by the way we're neighbors, I'm in Johnson!

Old 06-15-2011, 05:42 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I wear a Shoei RJ Platinum-R 3/4 helmet now all year around. Only in the very coldest weather do I wear the full face helmet. I like it because it covers my ears and eliminates that rush of the wind that can damage your hearing or fatigue you at freeway speeds. I can also talk to someone or take a drink, etc and not feel like Darth Vader when at a gas station, etc. It ventilates very well in warm weather also. I can actually feel a cool breeze over the top of my scalp on the freeway when wearing it. I also like the sun visor.

Old 06-15-2011, 05:43 PM
bmaier
Road Warrior
Received 98 Likes on 66 Posts

My wife and I switched from the Ultra Jet2 to the IS-33 (harley branded) and love them. Better noise isolation and fit. We use the Boom audio headsets with GPS, MP3, intercom and CB integrated seamlessly. Nothing to pull a 600 mile day two up with these helmets!

Old 06-15-2011, 05:55 PM
equandt
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My favorite helmet that I own is my 3/4 Bell 500. Its inexpensive, fits nice and looks good (for a helmet).

Good luck.

Old 06-15-2011, 06:17 PM
RoadHog659
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I've taken long trips with full-face, modular and half-helmets, and now have a 3/4 open-face helmet with visor that I can replace with a face shield when it rains. The 3/4 helmet is actually quieter than the full-face and modular, at least in my experience. I wear earplugs no matter what helmet I wear and I like the lighter weight of the 3/4 helmet vs. the full-face and modulars. Seems like I get a wider field of vision with the 3/4 open-face, too.

Old 06-15-2011, 06:20 PM
HammerheadC4
Tourer

I wear a half helmet and pack a 3/4 open face with a face shield (hjc cl-33)

When I hit rain, I switch helmets.

Quick Reply: Another helmet ? for long trips