Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another helmet ? for long trips

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 12:43 PM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

soft foam ear plugs - i never ride on the highway without them

FF helmet is the best solution for the highway - a FF helmet works best if your head is above the shield and in the wind blast so you get air through the helmet vents. It is a LOT more aerodynamic on the highway and you won't get head buffeting. Even a FF is noisy on the highway though without ear plugs. An extra tinted visor is nice in sunny weather.

Last edited by fat_tony; 06-17-2011 at 12:51 PM.
Old 06-17-2011, 01:13 PM
Windup08
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I currently have 4 helmets, the wife has 2....don't really like any of them, but would like to get a good one. I've been doing some research and am thinking about getting 2 of the Nolan N103's from J&M with their headsets, but I'm a little gun shy because I don't want to get yet another helmet that doesn't fit well. I haven't been able to find a place anywhere within a reasonable distance that carries a variety of helmets I can try on before committing to them.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:12 PM
Vt Rider
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just ordered two HJC IS-33's and a J&M 279 headset. I hope everything fits and works. Looking forward to giving it a try.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:47 PM
bluffalobob
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've learned my lesson. I will never tour again without a helmet that has a face shield. Right now, I use an HJC 3/4 helmet. You can swap out the visor for a face shield that pivots up out of the way when you don't need it.

One thing no one has mentioned is how well the face shield can protect you from the sun. You don't get sunburned in your car, and a clear face shield can protect your face from serious damage when you're riding west into the setting sun. I learned that one the hard way.

The shield is also a must if you have to ride for hours in the rain, it really does help. When I get home, I pop it off and put the visor back on, unless I think there might be a chance of rain on a ride.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:52 PM
steelhead
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have loud pipes so earplugs are a must for me no matter what helmet I wear.

I have three helmets that I wear although one, a Bell Drifter (1/2) gets the majority of the mileage. I also have a Scorpian 1/2 with the internal 1/2 face shield that recesses into the helmet. It is nice for light rain as the shield keeps most of the rain off your face. For rain, snow and hail, it is hard to beat a full-face. If I know I am going to be riding in the rain I will bring the full-face modular I own. I hate it though and prefer not wearing it.

As for riding long distances with a 1/2, as long as you have a windshield I don't see a problem. In the last two weeks I have ridden one 1000+ mile day, one 500 mile day and two 300 mile days all with the Bell and no complaints at all.

Old 06-17-2011, 03:46 PM
Krow
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bluffalobob
...Right now, I use an HJC 3/4 helmet. You can swap out the visor for a face shield that pivots up out of the way when you don't need it....
Which one?

Old 06-17-2011, 04:01 PM
bluffalobob
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Krow
Which one?
I have the AC3, but I think there are others that you can swap the face shield as well.

Attached Thumbnails Another helmet ? for long trips-ac3.jpg  
Old 06-17-2011, 11:43 PM
dnitram
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wassup8687
I have the HJC IS-33 and really like it.

The built in sun visor is great so you don't have to worry about sun glasses or goggles.
Just bought this in the XXL and unlike my past HJC's, I found it a little tight across my forehead. I carefully trimmed that area until I had the comfort I expected, then sanded it and sealed it with black RTV. It FIT well now. I recommend it!

Old 06-18-2011, 12:05 AM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mcrider1
I have a Pinlock shield for my Shoei RF1000. I carry it as a spare for foggy conditions. It never fogs up! The only problem is that I wear glasses. The shield is clear but my glasses still fog up.
Dang there's always something. Have you tried contacts? My contacts never fog but my goggles and non-Pinlock shield always do.

Old 06-18-2011, 10:26 AM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Windup08
I currently have 4 helmets, the wife has 2....don't really like any of them, but would like to get a good one. I've been doing some research and am thinking about getting 2 of the Nolan N103's from J&M with their headsets, but I'm a little gun shy because I don't want to get yet another helmet that doesn't fit well. I haven't been able to find a place anywhere within a reasonable distance that carries a variety of helmets I can try on before committing to them.
Arai are pricy but the whole premise of the brand is a custom fit. They make 5 different shell sizes for different sized heads where most manufactures only make two. On top of that each model is taylored for specific head shape. For instance the Profile model is designed to only fit long oval head shapes. On top of different helmet models for differing head shapes they have a multitude of different liners and cheek pad thicknesses to fine tune the fit. You really have to go to a dealer to have them fit you although you can always order at discount online after you establish what fits. IMO find a helmet that fits your individual head optimally, then install a communications system rather than looking for an integrated solution. A helmet model that fits your head optimally will be unlikely to also fit your wife optimally - helmet fit is more than just a matter of size - head shape also comes into play.

Lots of helmet info and fitment info here:
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...helmet-faq.htm

Quick Reply: Another helmet ? for long trips