Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another helmet ? for long trips

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 10:53 PM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 223 Likes on 158 Posts

HJC FS-3 DOT & SNELL approved. For a 3/4 that's pretty impressive. Not many 3/4 helmets are SNELL approved. I think I paid like $75 on eBay for it brand new including shipping.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:11 AM
jvvjvv
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have probably had 30+ helmets over the years.........this one...(Schurberth C4)... is by far the best of them all.

Full to 3/4, Light, quite, great sun shade.........(stays where ever you put it)..........very, very well made and cumfy. A little pricey.....but the quality show everywhere.

Last edited by jvvjvv; 06-16-2011 at 12:34 AM.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:15 AM
dutchglide
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Shark evoline 2 and a Shuberth C3

The Shark is th best looking, but it can't even come near to the comfort and quality of the Shuberth.

The good thing with the shark is that the chinpiece folds behind the helmet.
It is designed to stay open.

With the Shuberth it stays "on top" of the helmet. Good for around town driving with an open helmet, but when you go faster than let's say 40 it is very uncomfortable because of the turbulence around the helmet. The Shuberth is not built to drive open.

Shuberth:

Shark:

Old 06-16-2011, 07:05 AM
rattrig
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got back from a solo trip from Alaska and I invested in a full face helmet and it was the best thing I did because of all the bad weather I hit. I took along my half helmet too and wore that when the weather was nice.

Old 06-16-2011, 07:14 AM
rhlhamlet
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Vt Rider
I'm heading out soon for a week long trip to Nova Scotia. I've always worn a half helmet but lately I've been noticing that the wind and rumble of the Harley are starting to wear on me during longer rides. It also makes riding in the rain less comforatable. Last weekend I road back from Americade, three plus hours in the rain.

I'm thinking of getting an open face HJC IS-33. I have a really good modular helmet made for snowmobiling but it's way to hot. I've tried it on the bike but don't like the restricted feel.

I'm torn between getting anohter helmet or just putting in ear plugs and leaving well enough alone.

For those of you that have taken longer trips what is your experience and what are you wearing?
I can vouch for the HJC IS-33 you mention. I ride without a windshield and usually wear a half helmet with goggles. But, for long trips I prefer the HJC IS-33. Its drop down push button sun visor is usually all the face protection I need but, in rain, the drop down shield really protects well. As a matter of fact, at speeds just over 55 mph, the shield tends to drop down by itself anyway. It is also ventilated (not too well) but enough to let you know you have ventilation.

Old 06-16-2011, 07:20 AM
flashprez
Club Member
Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

I just finished a 2,100 mile ride. I used my Scorpion 100 EXO. This a half hement, but it comes with a zip out surround. I love it because it has little speaker pouches, and shield that goes inside the helmet when not needed. With the push of a finger the shield pops down, or you push it up and it clicks and it just disappears. If it starts raining I just pop it down, or to much sun on the face I pop it down, but if I want the wind in my face I have it. I'm going to buy me another one to use while riding my Softails. It is DOT approved and you can pick one up for about $100.

Old 06-16-2011, 07:48 AM
teedubya
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm seriously considering the G-Max GM54 modular. Have tried it on in the showroom and others are saying the ventilation is superb. Have always worn 1/2 or 3/4's but with the tinutus in the ears and as I age I'm starting to enjoy the quiet of a 3/4 with a shield, a Nolan N42. This G-Max appears to be a decent helmet. I must be getting older, I'm also looking at tourmaster textile riding gear as a replacement for my leathers.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:41 AM
slhanks4
Road Warrior
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

I have an HJC IS-MAX-BT (modular) I wear on long trips. I mounted my HD comm headset to it. I wanted an IS-33, but couldn't get a comfortable fit. The Scorpion EXO-100 is a great half helmet with a drop-down shield, as is the Harley "Blade" helmet. I have both.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:25 AM
KoalaCowboy
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently retired my SHOEI helmets (RJ Platinum R 3/4 and MultiTec) in lieu of an EXO-900 Transformer with J&M Headset built-in.

I have ridden about 1500 miles with the helmet so far and have found it to be lighter than either of my SHOEI's and have the luxury of both a 3/4 and a Modular, for any given conditions.

I typically ride in 3/4 mode...and if the weather starts looking grim, I'll pull the flip-front portion out of the tour-pak, remove the sun visor and put the flip-front on and away I go!

Free's up a lot of space in the tour-pak!

The helmet is also cooler than either of my SHOEI's. Will be interesting to see how it performs once the cold weather returns (though THAT can stay away for quite a while as far as I am concerned ).

Old 06-16-2011, 11:14 AM
Vt Rider
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by teedubya
I must be getting older, I'm also looking at tourmaster textile riding gear as a replacement for my leathers.
I have the Tourmaster Intake jacket and love it.

Quick Reply: Another helmet ? for long trips